Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 04:56 AM)
I'm thinking the same way. Rios would be awesome, but we can't bench CQ. That's just ludicrous. I suppose I COULD see it as a setup for next year, assuming they dump Dye or Thome.

Very interesting.

I think Thome is brought back next year. Nothing anything anybody has said has suggested it, but putting in a waiver claim for Rios brings out a lot of writing between the lines.

First of all, Rios is an upgrade offensively this season, no matter what he does (because he's not going to start with the way CQ, Pods, Dye, and Thome have played). However, he's a ridiculous upgrade in regards to Kotsay alone offensively, let alone Anderson and Wise, which the Sox have had to deal with already this year. And, if Rios ends up with the Sox, it ends Wise's term with the Sox on the 25-man roster (though if Wise passes waivers, he's up again in September on the 40-man roster).

Secondly, and most importantly of all, Rios can help to replace Dye's bat next year, playing in a hitter friendly park, at relatively the exact same cost, though with better defense and potential that may not have been reached yet, with more financial security involved.

Nothing above (outside of the first paragraph) has to do with Thome. Rios hits from the right side (which is the same as Dye), is nearly 10 years younger than Dye, and is signed to a reasonable contract. Thome hits from the left side of the plate, and, unless the Sox win the Series this year, I'm apt to believe that Thome will remain playing. As such, with the Sox knowing his value, and with the Sox knowing few other teams would sign him (Oakland being a big one, though from what I understand about Thome, he's a big-time family man, and going out to the West Coast goes against everything he believes), I see the Sox signing him to something along the lines of a 1 year, $6-8 mill extension with a mutual option for next year at $6/8 with a retirement clause in it. He doesn't turn 40 until late August next season, and his production has not fallen off drastically. Unless his back gives out to the point where he can't swing a bat to the extent he can now, Thome is going to remain a member of the White Sox until he retires.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:54 AM)
The only problem I have with acquiring a guy like Rios is the intangible factor; it wasn't long ago that his name was brought up as a potential trade candidate, and someone posted a video to him on YouTube.

IIRC, Rios was mentioned in deals [with maybe Riccardi testing the trade market for him], but it was before the Jays decided to sign him long term. That the Jays did lock him up, even after they had signed Wells to a mega deal, IMO, shows they didn't have concerns regarding Rios' "intangibles". If there were other reasons not to sign Rios long term, such as character, etc, the Jays could very well have traded Rios in a deal that netted them a solid return and pointed to Wells' deal as the reason they couldn't afford him.

BTW, the video looks like it was shot in NYC. The paparazzi, and the "fans" calling him a bum, don't seem to be hometown toronto guys. Nothing in Rios' response raises red flags for me.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
Fields would be perfect to send to Toronto.

Except he wouldn't make it through waivers. I'd look for guys having good years who probably wouldn't have a spot on the sox-Justin Cassel, Stefan Gartrell, CJ Retherford, one of the sox thirdbasemen in the lower minors [Gilmore or Morel].

2-3 guys who Toronto could use, and that would have them chip in some cash in a deal.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
It would be great for the future. But, a logjam in outfield will not make any of three current starters happy.

It will because it would allow them to rest. It's been a long season, where in the heat of the summer, and guys like Pods, Dye, Thome, and Quentin [coming back from his injury] need days off. Being fresh for the next month and a half would make everyone happy, as long as the sox are winning.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:05 AM)
Except he wouldn't make it through waivers. I'd look for guys having good years who probably wouldn't have a spot on the sox-Justin Cassel, Stefan Gartrell, CJ Retherford, one of the sox thirdbasemen in the lower minors [Gilmore or Morel].

2-3 guys who Toronto could use, and that would have them chip in some cash in a deal.

Fields might make it through...

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
Fields might make it through...

I'm sure the sox have put some names through waivers and they'd know who cleared and didn't. Fields' name was probably out there. Whoever the sox "trade" for Rios, wouldn't be on the sox "3 year board".

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
Yes, players need rest. But, when it comes September you think Dye, Quentin, or Pods are going be happy sitting. Same thing goes with Rios if he comes here.

If the "trade" comes to pass, then it would be a nice problem to have.

Rios waiver report riles up Jays general manager

Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi wouldn't comment on reports that another team is trying to claim Alex Rios off waivers, but said that "nothing" is happening with the Jays' right fielder.

ESPN.com reported yesterday that an unnamed team had placed a claim on Rios, forcing the Jays to either remove him from their waiver list, work out a trade with that team, or let him go for nothing.

Last year, Rios signed a seven-year contract worth nearly $70 million (U.S.), but his production this season hasn't lived up to his huge salary. Through 105 games, he was hitting .261 with 12 home runs and 58 RBIs.

"That's an incredible opportunity for the Blue Jays to get out from underneath that contract," an official from an unnamed team told ESPN.

Ricciardi, however, downplayed the report, pointing out that most teams put the majority of their rosters on waivers this time of year, just to gauge interest in possible deals. Without confirming Rios was placed on waivers, Ricciardi said the only difference in this case was that a name was leaked.

"It's a lousy process and it's really disappointing that any (names) would get leaked. It's really unprofessional," he said. "We place everybody on waivers. ... It's just a normal process from (Aug. 1) on. Everybody in baseball does it. It's baseball 101."

Ricciardi confirmed that ace pitcher Roy Halladay was not among the players placed on waivers, but said the club had placed him on waivers in previous seasons.

Toronto Star

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:20 AM)
I have loved Rios from the first time I saw him play against us. Yes, man crush. However, something tells us this will just not happen.

I hope though. :gosoxretro:

I agree with you. The odds are fairly long. Teams put multiple players on the waiver list, which keys them into who might have interest at a later date. Then, you also have the no trade clause that Rios would have to waive. Toronto may just want to get out from the contract. If that's the case, Rios would have to approve it. Odds are, they'll pull him back off of waivers.

If we end up getting Rios, my guess is we resign Thome and dump Dye. Am I right in thinking that we can offer Dye arb. and let him know if he accepts it, he will be a 4th outfielder, hoping this makes him decline to go play somewhere else, thus us getting compenstation for losing him in FA? Or am I completely wrong with that?

But hell if we win it all, I can see both Thome and Dye coming back with smaller contracts.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)
I agree with you. The odds are fairly long. Teams put multiple players on the waiver list, which keys them into who might have interest at a later date. Then, you also have the no trade clause that Rios would have to waive. Toronto may just want to get out from the contract. If that's the case, Rios would have to approve it. Odds are, they'll pull him back off of waivers.

The only reason there are any odds at all is because this is JP Ricciardi. Any GM in his right mind, under these particular circumstances, would take advantage of this unique opportunity and get rid of Rios. It is not going to be easy trying to deal a kid in the offseason who is coming off a down year, a rapidly increasing salary, and is rumored to be a malcontent - all in a poor economy.

My guess is if he waits until the offseason, the best JP is going to do is receive some marginal prospects, all while paying $20 million of that salary just to move him.

This really wouldn't be the worst move. You get him for a little more than what it would cost to bring in Figgins and the upside with Rios is much better, especially at D. You can still resign Pods for $4-5 million and one of Dye/Thome (for DH) for $6-8 million. That would put our payroll close to $85 million, factor in arbitration and our payroll is reasonable still. Pods stays in LF, Rios in CF and Q in RF. That lineup is a little better than IMO, simply because of the extra speed and hopeful improvements offensively at 2nd and SS.