Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
Where does he bat in the lineup? Do we DH Dye right now and bench Thome??

Against lefties sure. Or give Pods a day off. Or give Quentin extra time off. Treat it like the halos treat their OF for now; someone has to sit every day, do it based on matchups and rest.

to be fair, I highly doubt this is the end of Wise in a Sox uniform. He'll go through waivers, and I imagine he clears (though with his heroics of the past few weeks, some team may put in a claim for him). Assuming he does clear, he's back up in September when rosters expand.

Going to add this confirmation out of Toronto news.

JEFF BLAIR

Globe and Mail Update Last updated on Monday, Aug. 10, 2009 06:38PM EDT

The Toronto Blue Jays have called a press conference for Monday evening to announce they have sent outfielder Alex Rios to the Chicago White Sox. Toronto does not receive a player in return.

The team had reportedly placed Rios on waivers with the hope of dealing him.

MORE TO COME

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
Woohoo

If Rios can play to his potential this could be a major steal for the Sox.

We just grabbed a 28 year old, 2 time all star without having to give up anything but money. Didn't even have to lose a draft pick like signing that type of guy as a FA would require.

Why would you even think about putting any player on irrevocable waivers in August? Thats just dumb.

It was reported the 6 teams put a claim in on Rios. Only MLB and Toronto knows for sure who those teams were. Over the past 4 days, I bet Ricciardi has talked to each one of those front offices about what they would give up in a trade in the offseason. Which is another part of the game. Does JP believe these other GMs and try the offseason market with Rios hoping to start a bidding war? Does KW think that other teams are tell JP they will offer more than what the White Sox (or the team that claimed him) are lying or are they really going to offer that in the offseason? If KW thinks that JP thinks that those teams are being truthful, KW has to up his offer. JP's job is to make KW think that he thinks they are being truthful.

12:30pm is the deadline for the transaction tomorrow. So, imo, if we don't hear anything by 1:30pm, the Rios wasn't acquired.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 10:44 PM)
Okay, this is tentative, so don't bite.

Getz

Beckham

Dye

Thome

Konerko

Rios

Quentin

AJ

Ramirez

Bench:

Castro

Nix

Kotsay

Pods

We're f***ing stacked!

I'm thinking Rios might be leading off if he plays for Pods. I can't imagine putting our worst hitter in the 1 spot.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood