Blame it on Rios

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
This is wishlist stuff, but what about trading for Adam Dunn to be that LH power bat?

I think a lot of teams are going to be after Dunn, just as a lot of teams are interested in Figgins via FA next season.

Just difficult to count on getting a guy that will be in high demand.

QUOTE (GordoTheGreat @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 12:51 PM)
Maybe the big fellas are saving all their power for that final "push". I sure hope that's the case.

Somehow I doubt players are purposefully not giving it their all so that they can reserve energy for the last 3 weeks or so of the season. By doing so you put the team at risk of being too far out in the standings to make up ground.

Edited by BigSqwert

As much as I love JD (except during these friggin annual August-Sept mega-slumps)...I really can't see his future here over keeping a left-handed bat like Thomes. Hard to say...but a lot will depend on how each of them finish out the season as to who's retained IMO.

The whole point of keeping Thome over Dye would be to retain the services of left handed bat. It is very interesting and revealing to note that this year, Dye's stats are comparable to Thome's vs. right handed pitching!!

J. Dye Avg. .278 OBP .345 SLG .527 HR 19 2B 11 RBI 49

Thome Avg .256 OBP .392 SLG .512 HR 16 2B 7 RBI 47

That pretty much refutes the one advantage of retaining Thome over Dye. I think it should be a matter of the money. If Dye will take less than the amount specified in the option, and if it is less than what it would cost to retain Thome, I personally prefer Dye.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
As much as I love JD (except during these friggin annual August-Sept mega-slumps)...I really can't see his future here over keeping a left-handed bat like Thomes. Hard to say...but a lot will depend on how each of them finish out the season as to who's retained IMO.

Of course Jermaine can be of help in interleague and a world series away game.

Away in a NL park, you give away a lot of HR potential with Rios in over Thome

Not saying I disagree with your overall point but if money is close they might sway to this way of thinking.

Edited by Princess Dye

I'd rather see Abreu DH and Winn in RF next year. I think we need a DH that can field, at least part time. I know Abreu isn't that great of a fielder but he can field and Thome can't. Which means Abreu could play against NL teams.

Abreu would bring a higher average, more speed and defense that Thome can't provide.

Winn would be an upgrade over Dye with speed and defense. Their hitting, obp are the same.

I just think we need to get away from old sluggers, and that's what Thome and Dye are, IMO.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
I'd rather see Abreu DH and Winn in RF next year. I think we need a DH that can field, at least part time. I know Abreu isn't that great of a fielder but he can field and Thome can't. Which means Abreu could play against NL teams.

Abreu would bring a higher average, more speed and defense that Thome can't provide.

Winn would be an upgrade over Dye with speed and defense. Their hitting, obp are the same.

I just think we need to get away from old sluggers, and that's what Thome and Dye are, IMO.

Someone is going to fork over some real cash for Abreu this offseason.

Luckily, and hopefully, it won't be us.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
That's not going to do anything for his confidence, and we need him full-strength as we make a playoff push. What we need to do is keep him in the lineup to reassure him that we have plans for him, too. Benching him more often may give him the impression that he is indeed on the way out, and that may impact his play even more.

If the sox keep running Dye out there every day, he'll be useless at the plate and more of a liability in the field. He needs time off in order to stay fresh for the last month and a half.

It's not a benching when you rest guys. The sox will likely use a rotation of some sort--which Ozzie alluded to him and Joey Cora coming up with lineups to get people rest. With PK, Thome, AJ, Dye, and Pods all 30+, they need time off.

Thome was the bluntest when he hit after the ASB talking about being the freshest he had been after getting the week off. Other guys need a rest but aren't saying "I feel like crap", and need time off.

You may see Dye AND Thome back next year, potentially.

There's almost no chance. What point would there be to that? If we want an insurance policy, I would think we'd have better options. To have Rios and still have Thome AND Dye just seems ridiculous to me.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)
There's almost no chance. What point would there be to that? If we want an insurance policy, I would think we'd have better options. To have Rios and still have Thome AND Dye just seems ridiculous to me.

With the dearth of leadoff hitters out there, I think Pods could actually get a nice sized one-year offer from somewhere. Look at what Taveras got--for a short-term deal, he's going to be worth more than that if he keeps this up.

If faced with competing to bring back Pods vs. getting all those HRs for cheap in this park....the Sox would seriously have to ponder it.

If Rios raises his OBP back to past levels, we actually could bring back the two sluggers and use Rios to solve leadoff and cf defense all in one.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)
And we will replace them with the youth of Bobby Abreu?

He's not younger but he hits for a higher average and has more speed. I'd rather have .300 hitters with 20hr than .260-.280 hitters that hit 30-35hr. I think you'd find more consistency with our hitting then too.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 06:47 PM)
He's not younger but he hits for a higher average and has more speed. I'd rather have .300 hitters with 20hr than .260-.280 hitters that hit 30-35hr. I think you'd find more consistency with our hitting then too.

Plus Abreu can play LF or RF (although not that great) so it adds depth to our team. Our DH could be our 4th outfielder.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
Dye is a very good fielder with a good strong arm

You and greg are the same person. I swear it. I've been thinking it for months, and now you've proven it.

DYE IS NOT A GOOD FIELDER.

I hope that gets the point across.

Edited by Milkman delivers

Dye has a strong arm, but their are Little League players that have better fundamentals at charging a ball to make a throw or getting behind a fly ball. For as strong of an arm as he has, I can't recall more than 5 times he's thrown out a runner on the bases during his Sox career.

Dye has been a soldier and a tremendous bargain for the Sox, negating any drop off from letting Maggs go to Detroit.

But he looks gassed at the moment, and his hitting shows it.

I expect the best way to break in Alex Rios would be to put him in RF for a week to rest Dye. If there's a lefty in that week, Dye could DH. But otherwise he should get an extended break.

After that, play Rios in CF or RF depending on the matchups, with Dye, Quentin, or Pods taking days off. When Dye sits, Rios plays RF. When Quentin or Pods sit, Rios plays CF. That way you aren't asking any outfielder to play a position they haven't played this year, as Pods regularly plays CF and LF, but Quentin is only LF and Dye is only RF.

Kotsay could also get a day here and there as a lefty OF, but would more likely spot Konerko at 1B and as #1 pinch hitter.

I could care less about next season. With Peavy coming, I really want to see the Sox make the playoffs a second year in a row.