Is 2009 really a wash?

chisoxfan09

The thing with this team is, I think we already saw it peak with the Buehrle performance. Our offense and defense and pitching were clicking at once during about a 3-5 week span and we won and some guys, pretty easily. But this whole year, our hitting hasn't gotten in sync with the pitching which is caused by our sometimes poor defense as well. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this team currently constructed doing anything this year or next.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)
Go away. This is the worst post in the history of this forum.

The Yankees and Angels really kicked our ass didn't they?

In with the Save!

Thank you for saving this forums credibility.

That really was a horrible post.

Worst post in the history of soxtalk? Very possible.

All, I am not gonna bad mouth last nigh's performance or get on any one player. I am over the disappointment, frustration, and roller coaster rides this team has given us this year. Having said that I am firmly believing and hoping the rebuilding (It doesn't matter what KW or Ozzie say cuz this is what I believe it is) gives a us winning ROI (Return of Investment) in 2010. I have seen guys on the team underperform, not show up mentally, and just straight out refuse to play fundamental baseball. All of this I attribute to the hybrid identity of the swing for the fences/win now formula and the insistence we have the right players to work with the small ball. My reasoning is more towards the home run mentality with streaks/flashes of small ball/fundamentals. So much lineup tinkering, guys out of position in the lineup and on the field just make me think this year is a wah and a huge experiement with mixed/mediocre results at best. If we get to the playoffs because we win the division then fine but I see it as one series and out. The true progress should start to make it's shape next year and carry into 2011. I hope I am wrong but my 2 cents. Any feedback to include me getting flamed is welcome.

:bringit

Buddy, I agree with you 100%

There is not much emotional stress we can have with a .500 ball team. Sure, we all know that we should be better then this, but this year we aren't. We know the talent is there, they're just having the damndest time putting it all together.

It was frustrating that we have lost so many games already. The crazy part is we could still get hot... if we can put together another 7-game W streak like earlier in the season, we're right back with Detroit if not ahead... and then add a hopefully effective Jake Peavy and we still have a great shot to win, no matter how crappy we have been this season.

But, I agree that next year is the year that should tell us a lot.

Seeing how Minnesota and Detroit are equally as bad right now, and the Sox are only 2 games back, I think this kind of talk is silly.

We are only two back which is good.

But we have shown no signs of being able to take advantage of anything. Detroit is getting b****slapped by Boston so we can't beat a good Seattle team but one game? We need to take advantage especially since Detroit mauled us four of five recently.

I'll never give up, but ...

I guess we'll be waiting on Jimmy to save the day like he did last year in the playoff game vs. Minnesota.

I agree though it's stupid to say, 'Wait til next year.' That's dumb.

We still have a chance now but this team is definitely a .500 enigma.

We could be a championship team in the way St Louis Cardinals were.

The chances of that are unlikely, but if we get in a playoff series with Peavy/Buehrle/Floyd/Danks.... we will be dangerous. And we can use one of those guys in relief even as we did in 05 postseason.

And Matt Thornton would pitch in like every game :)

I do like our record against NYY, TB, LAA, LAD. We're just so bad v. the bad teams

Edited by Princess Dye

We should know for sure by the end of the month. We play Oak, KC and Baltimore before the big road trip.

If we don't kick the living s*** out of those 3 teams then we'll know.

We play very well against good teams but believe me we're not going to be dominating Boston and New York on that road trip and we all know for some insane reason we can't beat a very bad Twins team in their pisss*** of a building.

If we somehow get red hot and take care of business against those 3 bad teams, we might have some good momentum going to play the big boys and in that scenario could split with Boston (gasp) and win one in NY before the Twins fiasco.

Edited by greg775

Sox lose - "is this season over?" "this.team.is.dead"

next day..

Sox win - "so what's our playoff rotation gonna look like"

this place is hilarious.

Why is it hilarious. .500 teams are tough to follow. We basically lose every other day and there's always a goat in a loss. We lose a lot. The team is a flirt.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
Why is it hilarious. .500 teams are tough to follow. We basically lose every other day and there's always a goat in a loss. We lose a lot. The team is a flirt.

The jekyll and hyde nature of this website with any win or loss is the definition of hilarious

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)

Its like everyone here has ADD or something. We're gonna lose games, lots of them. We're also going to win games, lots of them. There's no reason to have a panic attack and demand that the entire team be dismantled after every damn loss.

This isn't football, there are 10x more games. Quit giving yourself ulcers after every stupid loss.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 07:36 PM)
The jekyll and hyde nature of this website with any win or loss is the definition of hilarious

+1

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
This.

I remember when it didn't use to be that way too. Shame.

+1

Which is why i am mostly a troll now...

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
I wish people would shut up about that Cardinals team already..

Yes. That Cardinal team was at one point 16 games above .500. Were the 2009 White Sox ever 16 games above .500? Not even close. That's why you can't compare the two teams.

They only finished with just 83 wins because they went on an uncharacteristic slide and lost 8 of 9 during the last two weeks of the season. Pretty much every day from May to early September they were between 10 and 16 games above .500. In retrospect I think they resemble an 87-89 game winner way more than they resemble an 83 game winner.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
I wish people would shut up about that Cardinals team already..

Thank you thank you thank you thank you god I hate that example. Actually the comparison is almost sort of valid now that we're getting Peavy back and we got Rios, but I am really tired of seeing that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
We should know for sure by the end of the month. We play Oak, KC and Baltimore before the big road trip.

If we don't kick the living s*** out of those 3 teams then we'll know.

We play very well against good teams but believe me we're not going to be dominating Boston and New York on that road trip and we all know for some insane reason we can't beat a very bad Twins team in their pisss*** of a building.

If we somehow get red hot and take care of business against those 3 bad teams, we might have some good momentum going to play the big boys and in that scenario could split with Boston (gasp) and win one in NY before the Twins fiasco.

I like this word.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 05:15 AM)
Seeing how Minnesota and Detroit are equally as bad right now, and the Sox are only 2 games back, I think this kind of talk is silly.

Thank you! Someone I agree with.

Why can't we be the 2006 Cardinals?

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)
Playoff rotation of

Peavy

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

I think we just have to get there.

Agree. And as bad as some of our relievers have looked, we still have a ton of talent in our bullpen. Rios makes our OF defense a ton better and our team speed makes us constantly dangerous.

The 2009 Sox could be a lot like the 2008-2009 Bulls in that the team that makes the playoffs (if we get there) is going to have a deceptively poor record. We'll be a lot better in September and October than we were only on. But unlike the Bulls who don't have the talent on the court to win it all, the Sox actually do if they get hot at the right time.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
Yes. That Cardinal team was at one point 16 games above .500. Were the 2009 White Sox ever 16 games above .500? Not even close. That's why you can't compare the two teams.

They only finished with just 83 wins because they went on an uncharacteristic slide and lost 8 of 9 during the last two weeks of the season. Pretty much every day from May to early September they were between 10 and 16 games above .500. In retrospect I think they resemble an 87-89 game winner way more than they resemble an 83 game winner.

We've oscillated back and forth between 7 games under .500 (White Flag surrender) and 5 games over .500, but this team is way underperforming now, based on the offensive potential and starting rotation potential. Of course, we're missing Peavy and we don't know exactly what kind of boost he'll give in the end.

DET, you just wonder how long Leyland can keep riding Jackson, Verlander and Porcello for 120+ pitches...and their offense is worse than ours. But Verlander and Jackson have been very consistent aces all season long, with Jackson being the acquisition of the offseason in our division.

We've just never been able to sync up our starting pitching, offense, defense and relief pitching, which was our strength the first three months.

Our average with RISP is probably the exact opposite of the Twins last year...there's no "guarantee" we would have won yesterday if we'd gone up 1 or 2-0, but you have to think we should be 1 1/2 games back instead of 2 1/2 games back...but so many of these games like the Tigers series, Ray series, Cubs game with 5-1 lead, Pirates game, you will drive yourself crazy saying we SHOULD be 5-7-9-11 gameso over .500 right now. And bunting? Forget about it, Ozzie. You can't change the fundamental all-or-nothing nature of this team, even with Beckham/Getz/Nix/Ramirez/Rios/Kotsay injecting some needed athleticism.

We're nothing but an "average" team that looks like 2003, but something's amiss with the chemistry (see 2002-2004), we have one of the worst defenses in the entire American League (and all of baseball) and hopefully that can be rectified at least a little bit with the Rios acquisition and in the offseason.

We haven't been a dominant home team like 2008, and we haven't been a come-from-behind team, either.

What we have been is an enormous tease that has driven some of us almost off the ledge, and, if not for 2005, I would be pretty pissed off right now but I've just come to the conclusion that competing all season long with the young players coming into the line-up is "gravy" and if we can somehow sneak out of September with the division title, we can be much more dangerous than last year's "wounded" team surviving down the stretch.

If I was a Twins' fans, I would be MUCH more discouraged about this season and the future in the new ballpark, as well as the pressing issues of retaining Nathan, Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer and Kubel long-term.

Edited by caulfield12