Stephen Strasburg

Kyyle23

Boras and Strasburg  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Strasburg

• Boras Puppet
    • soon-to-be well paid pitcher

Boras has apparently slapped a 50 million dollar pricetag on Strasburg, obviously the Nationals are hesitant to commit to something that hefty, especially considering it is 40 million dollars more than the largest contract offered to a draftee. I am curious what you guys feel is going to happen? Is this going to be Aaron Crow part 2? Is Strasburg going to pitch in the Independent league for a year until next years draft and cast his lot with the likes of Pittsburgh, San Diego, and other bottom feeders that will probably be just as reticent to pay out 50 million bucks, as well as risk injury between now and next years draft? Or will Strasburg force Boras to accept what was originally to be offered(in the range of 15-18 million) so that he can jump in and start his career?

Ryan Zimmerman had this to say:

"When it comes down to it, Strasburg has to think about, ‘Can I go to bed if I turn down $15, 16 million dollars—whatever it is—to pass up the opportunity to play for these guys?’ That’s a lot of money. I don’t understand what he thinks will be better next year. If we don’t take him, who’s gonna take him next year? Pittsburgh? San Diego? San Diego is not gonna pay him more. Absolutely his leverage will never be higher."

Rob Dibble, speaking from a position of strength, had this to say:

Kid, if you want respect you have to earn it, if you want to be hated as much as your agent Scott Boras, hold out and go pitch in independent league baseball.

I have been wondering how long it would be before Boras had a true backfire in his management of clientele. I truly believe this could be the one that blows up in his face.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a quote somewhere about Boras wanting to remake the way draft picks are valued and the Nationals basically told him they won't be a part of it.

Here it is:

Kasten wouldn't reveal the exact amount of Washington's offer nor would he say what, if any, counteroffer Boras had made. But Kasten characterized Boras' approach as "advocating a new methodology for evaluating draft picks" - changing the way a draft pick's worth is determined.

"This kid is so impressive. We have nothing but the highest regard for him. If he wants to come and begin his career right now - and do so with the largest contract ever given to any drafted player in the history of Major League Baseball - we can help him accomplish that," Kasten told the AP. "But if this is more about changing the whole way an industry does business, then we won't be able to reach a deal."

Foxsports

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
There's a quote somewhere about Boras wanting to remake the way draft picks are valued and the Nationals basically told him they won't be a part of it.

Good. Draft picks should not be any more valued than they are right now. You want the big money, then make it to the majors and accomplish something.

The NFL is getting pretty out of control too.

Yeah the MLB and the NFL need to implement the NBA style of rookie contracts, but I doubt we'll see it anytime soon.

As for Strasburg, Bora$$ knows that the Nats need him if they are going to turn things around, and I think eventually come 11:58PM or so just before the deadline, a deal will get done.

Both sides will lose too much if they can't get something done.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
I trust BaseballAmerica more than anyone else when it comes to the draft, and Jim Callis says he'd be "stunned" if Strasburg doesn't sign.

I bet Callis was "stunned" when Aaron Crow didnt sign. Or JD Drew

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4401500

WASHINGTON -- Nationals president Stan Kasten acknowledged Saturday there is a "very real possibility" the team will not reach an agreement with No. 1 overall draft pick Stephen Strasburg despite offering him a record-breaking contract.

The Nationals face a deadline of midnight on Monday night to sign Strasburg, a right-handed pitcher from San Diego State whose fastball has been clocked at 102 mph.

Kasten said Saturday the Nats offered Strasburg (above) more than the record $10.5 million Mark Prior got in 2001.

He is represented by uber-agent Scott Boras, who has the top three players in this year's draft -- all of whom were unsigned as of Saturday afternoon.

"With 48 hours to go, I simply have no idea whether we're going to be able to reach a deal," Kasten said in an interview with The Associated Press.

Kasten said the Nationals offered Strasburg a major league contract more than the record $10.5 million pitcher Mark Prior got from the Chicago Cubs after being the second pick in the 2001 amateur draft.

Edited by KyYlE23

I hate rookie contracts in general. I dont like that rookies in most leagues... including the NFL... are making more than people that have proven themselves at that position.

I know you are paying on potential, but most businesses dont pay their employees 3x more than someone who has been there for years. You earn what you make.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
I hate rookie contracts in general. I dont like that rookies in most leagues... including the NFL... are making more than people that have proven themselves at that position.

I know you are paying on potential, but most businesses dont pay their employees 3x more than someone who has been there for years. You earn what you make.

Rookie contracts in the NFL aren't bad once you get out of the top 10 picks.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
Another perfect example and reason that the league is in dire need of implementing a salary cap.

In the past 9 years, 8 different teams have won a world series. In the last 9 years the patriots owned the NFL, and the Lakers and Spurs ran the NBA. So it's defiantly not dire.

The NBA is the only league that manages rookies wisely.

Only way Strasburg can justify a monster contract is if he gets called up immediately and dominates. That probably wouldn't happen. So for now he should be content with getting more money than most major league pitchers.

Otherwise he just gets drafted 3rd (assuming Nats finish worst in ML again), and he loses leverage, because he definitely couldn't command more than a pitcher drafted ahead of him. And does he really think the Pirates or Padres would pay him $50 Million.

It's all the Cubs fault the MLB deals with this. Seriously, Scott Boras broke his leg in their farm system so they sent him to law school at McGeorge in Sacramento.

If they don't agree, can the nats draft him again next year? Or are you not allowed to draft someone you couldn't sign.

If you can and I'm the Nats I tell him sign or well draft you again next year, and offer you less thus putting you at least 2 years behind.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
Nah, they can't draft him next year without his consent.

All that would mean though is that Boras would go from having to convince Washington to hand over $50 million to having to convince Pittsburgh or K.C. to hand over $50 million. That's the predicament for their side; he's never going to fall to the Yankees, and he can only hold out for so many seasons.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 09:15 AM)
Strasberg's a tool to pass on $17 million if he does. That's so much damn money.

Especially considering that he plays a position that puts a ton of strain on one's elbow and shoulder. If I'm a highly-touted pitching prospect, I ask for about $5 million more that was previously given out, and settle for maybe $2.5 million more. But I make sure that I come to terms and get my hands on that money, as my entire family stands to benefit from it.