Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)
This "Weber is afraid of the MVC" talk is nonsense. When was the last time a major school went on the road to a mid-major? It RARELY happens, not because those teams are afraid, but because of the money involved. Why on earth would you play a game that will gain you ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, on any level, when you can play an NIU or SIUE, or Wofford, or whatever at home, sell out, and make bank.

And this mid-major woe is me crap is getting old. Guess what, if you're a mid-major and you want to be taken seriously, win your conference, make the tournament, and make some noise. You do that and you get invited to the pre-season tourneys and the occasional neutral site game that'll get you more attention. There's a reason that 7-8 years ago SIU was a great mid major program (thanks to Weber). There's a reason teams like Butler, Gonzaga, etc are rated. They win and they win consistently. So, until you get screwed ala the non-bcs schools in football, shut it.

/end rant

You mean like Iowa State at Drake last night? :P Or our games at UNI and Iowa next year? :D

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
You mean like Iowa State at Drake last night? :P Or our games at UNI and Iowa next year? :D

is ISU a major? Ohhhhhh! Snap. :bringit

I mean CLEARLY, you're not major like the other ISU.... ;)

Edit: pssh, i'm stupid. that was probably the joke you were making. lol, sorry.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 07:33 AM)
Its all about putting the big name teams on the resume, and beating illinois at any time is big for the SIU program given the recent history. Yeah, Illinois had a down year that year and SIU was really tough, but at the same time if Illinois won that game it would have been ho-hum for Illinois, if SIU wins that game its a big deal(coach losing to the team that gave him a shot, interstate competition, etc).

Like I said before, you guys get the pub without asking for it, so i can understand why you think its annoying and petty that the mid majors ask for it. Its just the way it is, and it wont go away

Given the difference in talent level and seeding, I completely disagree with this.

Had we beat SIU it would have been far from ho-hum IMO. I would have been shocked. Justin would have been swimming in alcohol and depression. He wouldn't have talked to me for years.

Had SIU won, business as usual as that's what was supposed to happen. That SIU team was legit and didn't need some in-state game to prove anything. Actually, they would have had almost nothing to gain in the game, really.

The Kansas game was where they had something to gain. And I feel that even in a loss, they gained a ton.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
Given the difference in talent level and seeding, I completely disagree with this.

Had we beat SIU it would have been far from ho-hum IMO. I would have been shocked. Justin would have been swimming in alcohol and depression. He wouldn't have talked to me for years.

Had SIU won, business as usual as that's what was supposed to happen. That SIU team was legit and didn't need some in-state game to prove anything. Actually, they would have had almost nothing to gain in the game, really.

The Kansas game was where they had something to gain. And I feel that even in a loss, they gained a ton.

is it any different now?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)

Ya I agree with pretty much everything. I know that year a lot of SIU fans wanted us to play Illinois to prove something. Personally, I didn't care about proving anything against Illinois(which as you said, we were just better that year, so whatever), I just wanted to win, I didn't care who the f*** we were playing. And ya, losing that game to Illinois would have destroyed me but not because it was against the Illini but because are season was over. You talked to me directly after the Kansas game so you know how that was, it would have been the same reaction from me.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
is it any different now?

Hey, this isn't the make fun of Row for being a drunk thread. ;)

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
Butler beat NU handily, but top 10? They don't have much talent. They run their system well, but Butler has mid-major talent. Butler has had multiple better teams recently that didn't get top 10 love. Gotta love preseason polls.

Hayward is pretty damn good, and Howard is quite tough inside. I'm not a huge fan of their guards, but all they really have to do is handle the ball and hit 3's for them to be successful. Obviously that happened tonight since they were playing NU. 07/08 was probably their best team, I think this one could be comparable if their guards are even decent.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
Butler beat NU handily, but top 10? They don't have much talent. They run their system well, but Butler has mid-major talent. Butler has had multiple better teams recently that didn't get top 10 love. Gotta love preseason polls.

I'm really, really looking forward to the Minnesota/Butler game on Thanksgiving. It should be a great game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
Dammit, for some reason I thought UNC v OSU was on tonight. Why the f*** did I buy all these beers then?

Headed to a buddies house to take in the rebuilt Heels. Excited to see how long it takes for the youngsters to gel. If the guardplay of Drew,Dex, Graves, McDonald can be reasonably solid then I like the Heels chances. A lot to ask for the young guys in UNC's backcourt at this point though. The Buckeyes have a great chance tonight.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
Headed to a buddies house to take in the rebuilt Heels. Excited to see how long it takes for the youngsters to gel. If the guardplay of Drew,Dex, Graves, McDonald can be reasonably solid then I like the Heels chances. A lot to ask for the young guys in UNC's backcourt at this point though. The Buckeyes have a great chance tonight.

Ohio State should win, but that doesn't mean they will. I still don't buy UNC as a top 5 team this year, but we'll see. They're still a very, very solid team but next year is when they will be back into the elite IMO.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
Ohio State should win, but that doesn't mean they will. I still don't buy UNC as a top 5 team this year, but we'll see. They're still a very, very solid team but next year is when they will be back into the elite IMO.

I dont know if they SHOULD win, but they certainly have a good shot, and that shot's name is Evan Turner. If he plays like he has been and Buford and Diebler drop 3's they have a great shot.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)

I agree at this early stage in the season with so many new young faces UNC is not a traditional top 5 team as of yet, but not many teams have a top 5 type roster at this point from last years returnining players (Kansas Mich. St). By tourney time they MIGHT, be a top 5 team, though. As for tonight the young guards will have to play solid which will be a tough task for the inexperienced but talented group. IF they get the guard play Carolina's bigs will dominate!!! I think OSU at this point of the season does look good to get the "baby" Heels, but by tourney time I think the Heels will be a clearly stronger team.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 06:28 PM)
Dayton up 9 on Georgia Tech at the half. Wish there was somewhere on tv/internet to watch this one.

No, you don't want to watch it. GT has 16 turnovers in the first half, including 8 in a row. As my rant stated 10 days ago, I despise Paul Hewitt more than any coach in any sport.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
George Mason couldn't even get a shot off after a timeout. Awful execution in the last two minutes. Nova escapes.

Nova had 4 players foul out too. Two of their freshmen came up with huge shots down the stretch there. I wonder why Yarou didn't play at all.