Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

This Indiana Ole Miss game is like watching Indiana football. IU gets off to a nice lead early (20-11) and looks like they might pull the upset (Ole Miss was an 11.5 point favorite), but eventually the more talented team takes over and it starts going as expected. Currently 39-25 Ole Miss. Ole Miss is way more athletic. Hubert Davis said at the open that IU has the talent to beat anyone in the country, just not the experience. I don't think IU even has the talent yet. Not to bash their young guys, but you can't expect to get 4-5 good freshmen in one class and even then that's all the talent they have.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
This Indiana Ole Miss game is like watching Indiana football. IU gets off to a nice lead early (20-11) and looks like they might pull the upset (Ole Miss was an 11.5 point favorite), but eventually the more talented team takes over and it starts going as expected. Currently 39-25 Ole Miss. Ole Miss is way more athletic. Hubert Davis said at the open that IU has the talent to beat anyone in the country, just not the experience. I don't think IU even has the talent yet. Not to bash their young guys, but you can't expect to get 4-5 good freshmen in one class and even then that's all the talent they have.

They are really sloppy right now. You can see the flashes, there just has to be some stability on the floor, and there is none right now.

Kentucky has some pretty awesome talent, but they're allowing another epic 3-point barrage to keep a game closer than it should be with Corey Almond going 10-14 from the arc. They're going to have to play some perimeter D against better teams.

All the talk keeps going to Kentucky, and yet here I am, I haven't seen them play a dominant game. I think they will lose more games in the conference than some may think. Of course, it helps that my team is a dog in said SEC conference.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)
tOSU is a glorified AAU team

Not really sure what that means, they are all teenagers?

The Buckeyes just couldnt shoot tonight, but still put up a good fight. If they dont miss all of their shots in the first half I think that game goes to them.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
All the talk keeps going to Kentucky, and yet here I am, I haven't seen them play a dominant game. I think they will lose more games in the conference than some may think. Of course, it helps that my team is a dog in said SEC conference.

Well they have played three games and they are a team chalk full of freshman. Obviously there is going to be a long adjustment period but come February and March they have the ability to be as dangerous as anyone.

Tonight 60% of their total minutes went to freshman. In the Miami OH game, again 60% of the minutes went to players new to the team.

I agree with your point that they may drop some games that they shouldn't but that is to be expected with so many young/new players. Could they be blowing these teams out? Of course. But it's tough to evaluate their team based simply on the fact that they haven't blown out sub-par teams. Most of these guys just completed their third college game. Or in the case of John Wall, second.

And I am no Kentucky fan, just FWIW.

Gophers beat Utah Valley 76-51 tonight. We played like s*** for the majority of the game, but still managed to get a 25 point victory. Rodney Williams continued his great start to his rookie campaign, and Colton Iverson continued to be awful. Unfortunately, he's going to keep getting minutes until Mbwake and White get their legal issues settled.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 11:50 PM)
Gophers beat Utah Valley 76-51 tonight. We played like s*** for the majority of the game, but still managed to get a 15 point victory. Rodney Williams continued his great start to his rookie campaign, and Colton Iverson continued to be awful. Unfortunately, he's going to keep getting minutes until Mbwake and White get their legal issues settled.

Do they teach math at Minnesota? :blink:

I was pleasently surprised to see my Tarheels dominate yesterday. Their backcourt has a lot of growing up to do to be serious contenders though. The last 4 minutes showed how much seasoning they need. They took a game that never really was under double digits and had a chance of blowing it. Syracuse should be a even tougher task tonight, they play with more athleticism.

On the flip side I don't know what it is with big ten teams with mega athletes coming in out of high school like Ohio State & Michigan St. etc. playing that ploding slow brand of basketball still. Get out a run a bit!

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 11:53 PM)
They don't bother with defense and don't have any sort of plan on offense.

Defensively they are still adjusting to going back to man to man, but on offense its tough to look good when your best players are going 3-16 etc and not hitting shots. Turner had to go at it alone for alot of the game which made him turn the ball over quite a bit. They have alot of growing to do this year.

I think so far the early season is pretty typical. There's so much hype with some of these teams we expect them to be perfect in order to justify the lofty rankings. OSU looked pretty flat most of the night. Lots of standing around. I wasn't too impressed with UNC either. But I'm sure all that will change by the end of the year.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)
On the flip side I don't know what it is with big ten teams with mega athletes coming in out of high school like Ohio State & Michigan St. etc. playing that ploding slow brand of basketball still. Get out a run a bit!

The Gophers run! :)

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 08:46 AM)
I think so far the early season is pretty typical. There's so much hype with some of these teams we expect them to be perfect in order to justify the lofty rankings. OSU looked pretty flat most of the night. Lots of standing around. I wasn't too impressed with UNC either. But I'm sure all that will change by the end of the year.

Dont get me thinking about the tourney this early!!!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)
Defensively they are still adjusting to going back to man to man, but on offense its tough to look good when your best players are going 3-16 etc and not hitting shots. Turner had to go at it alone for alot of the game which made him turn the ball over quite a bit. They have alot of growing to do this year.

Ginyard is a pretty tough defender, I was very impressed with the job he did on the very talented Turner. Really gave him fits when he was guarding him. I think I saw where Turner had more turnovers then points while Ginyard was guarding him.

UNC getting exposed. UNC is built like little school girls compared to the Syracuse players. I'm expecting a Sweet 16 berth at best this season, you just can't win a lot with no PG, and two senior leaders with gigantic holes in their game. Oh well, in no way fathomable are Ed Davis or Tyler Zeller ready for the NBA unless they want to flounder like Brandan Wright.