Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
We just want a chance to go out and play the big teams without that throwaway 2nd game in the contract(which the major schools always buy out).

SIU has beaten a lot of big programs in the past few years as well. Indiana, UMASS, VTech, Texas Tech, Georgia, @ Butler, Could of beaten UConn with Caron Butler, I don't even want to mention the Kansas game, but coulda won that. Also shoulda beat Missouri that one year in the tourney.

The latest stuff with Weber is irritating, not wanting to come to SIU or whatever. They let Edwardsville and NIU go to Champaign, but won't agree to go there probably.

Edited by Brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've stayed out of the whole ISU-Illinois stuff because I agree with Felix that's it's just annoying. But I will say that if anyone honestly believes that ISU would only have a 10 percent chance of beating Illinois, especially in Normal, well that's just crazy.

But anywho, I'm off to go watch our 2nd game at the arena. Go Dawgs!

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
SIU has beaten a lot of big programs in the past few years as well. Indiana, UMASS, VTech, Texas Tech, Georgia, @ Butler, Could of beaten UConn with Caron Butler, I don't even want to mention the Kansas game, but coulda won that. Also shoulda beat Missouri that one year in the tourney.

The latest stuff with Weber is irritating, not wanting to come to SIU or whatever. They let Edwardsville and NIU go to Champaign, but won't agree to go there probably.

I think it has alot more to do with the MVC rather than in state or playing mid majors. Illinois will play mid majors but they will not play MVC teams. Weber knows how good the conference is and avoids it when he can. It makes sense, he doesn't want to play a tough game that he has a good chance of losing that doesn't mean much more than playing SIU-E or NIU. Unfortunately college basketball is becoming a joke. I love ISU, but give the NBA all day over this garbage. Go Birds! 6 days until I get to see them put a beatdown on UIC at the pavilion.

ISU throttles Drake 90-70 on the road. without one of our top players in LaRon Dendy. Staiger hits 10 3s, Brackins finishes with 21 and Garrett with 12 assists. MVSU and Tennessee State before two games in Chicago that should be against St. Louis and what should be a really fun matchup against Notre Dame. Brackins vs. Harangody could be a blast.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
The only way to fix this is if the selection committee realizes that a lose on the road to a mid-major is not a bad lose.

I don't think the committee views them as bad losses, but they don't view them as good wins. That's the bigger problem.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
yes

no. I went to SIU, I care. Rowand, Sonik, Brian, they care. Kev, shoe, they care. Just because the team is classified mid major doesnt mean nobody cares. We are the team struggling for notoriety, for exposure, and wanting it doesnt make it wrong. You guys get it without asking for it, so it doesnt make sense to you, I get that.

But we do care, we want to the same thing you have. The way kev presented it, I was giving him a hard time about it because SIUE isnt the team I would be quoting(and because he is an ISU fan :P ), but I totally understand what he was saying. I was saying the same thing a few years ago when SIU went to the sweet 16 and had a chance to play Illinois in round 2(but Illinois lost to Va Tech, which SIU manhandled), just saying "we can beat this team".

We just want a chance to go out and play the big teams without that throwaway 2nd game in the contract(which the major schools always buy out).

Um, this isn't similar to the current argument. At all. SIU likely would have beat us in that game. That's not an upset. You were a 4 and we were a 12. Had you lost that game it'd be an embarrasment to be honest.

If your thought was "we can win this game" then I don't know what to tell you. "We can beat this team?" I mean I'm flattered and all, but c'mon.

That's not the same situation as...how do I put this..."Not-SIU-caliber-circa-2007 current ISU team" beating this current Illini squad.

Back to your normally scheduled thread.

Wait, one more thing. f*** Iowa. Glad they suck. Eat it Gage and whoever else I'm missing.

OK, back to the normally scheduled thread.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)
f*** Iowa. Glad they suck.

qft

Please god no. The normally scheduled thread involves pages and pages of ISU/Illinois talk, and there is nothing more annoying :P

This "Weber is afraid of the MVC" talk is nonsense. When was the last time a major school went on the road to a mid-major? It RARELY happens, not because those teams are afraid, but because of the money involved. Why on earth would you play a game that will gain you ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, on any level, when you can play an NIU or SIUE, or Wofford, or whatever at home, sell out, and make bank.

And this mid-major woe is me crap is getting old. Guess what, if you're a mid-major and you want to be taken seriously, win your conference, make the tournament, and make some noise. You do that and you get invited to the pre-season tourneys and the occasional neutral site game that'll get you more attention. There's a reason that 7-8 years ago SIU was a great mid major program (thanks to Weber). There's a reason teams like Butler, Gonzaga, etc are rated. They win and they win consistently. So, until you get screwed ala the non-bcs schools in football, shut it.

/end rant

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)
This "Weber is afraid of the MVC" talk is nonsense. When was the last time a major school went on the road to a mid-major? It RARELY happens, not because those teams are afraid, but because of the money involved. Why on earth would you play a game that will gain you ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, on any level, when you can play an NIU or SIUE, or Wofford, or whatever at home, sell out, and make bank.

And this mid-major woe is me crap is getting old. Guess what, if you're a mid-major and you want to be taken seriously, win your conference, make the tournament, and make some noise. You do that and you get invited to the pre-season tourneys and the occasional neutral site game that'll get you more attention. There's a reason that 7-8 years ago SIU was a great mid major program (thanks to Weber). There's a reason teams like Butler, Gonzaga, etc are rated. They win and they win consistently. So, until you get screwed ala the non-bcs schools in football, shut it.

/end rant

Clemson played at Liberty last night.

Something is being overlooked.

Since when the f*** does physicality of big men directly equate to quality of team? It's pretty obvious Illinois isn't a team with bruising big men. However Davis and Tisdale, while not physical, are far better than the big men ISU can trot out there.

But I guess since they aren't physical then Illinois is vulnerable against ISU. Got it.

from watching the Illini last night (albeit on espn360.com), to the Gonzaga/MSU & Memphis/Kansas games, I gotta say I am so glad college basketball is back :headbang

Wofford won at Georgia last night. Illinois plays Wofford at the Hall next week and @ GA at an off-campus stadium next month....looks like the first game may be tougher..

Um, this isn't similar to the current argument. At all. SIU likely would have beat us in that game. That's not an upset. You were a 4 and we were a 12. Had you lost that game it'd be an embarrasment to be honest.

If your thought was "we can win this game" then I don't know what to tell you. "We can beat this team?" I mean I'm flattered and all, but c'mon.

That's not the same situation as...how do I put this..."Not-SIU-caliber-circa-2007 current ISU team" beating this current Illini squad.

Back to your normally scheduled thread.

Wait, one more thing. f*** Iowa. Glad they suck. Eat it Gage and whoever else I'm missing.

Its all about putting the big name teams on the resume, and beating illinois at any time is big for the SIU program given the recent history. Yeah, Illinois had a down year that year and SIU was really tough, but at the same time if Illinois won that game it would have been ho-hum for Illinois, if SIU wins that game its a big deal(coach losing to the team that gave him a shot, interstate competition, etc).

Like I said before, you guys get the pub without asking for it, so i can understand why you think its annoying and petty that the mid majors ask for it. Its just the way it is, and it wont go away

UConn's perimeter defense has been very disappointing to start the year. On the inside, it looks like they could lead the country in blocks per game for a ninth straight year (especially once Majok is eligible). Dyson has to start knocking down shots and Calhoun has to get one of his freshmen guards into games to knock down the three. Robinson/Walker/Dyson are way too hesitant. Like what I'm seeing from Coombs-McDaniel so far as far as aggressiveness goes.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)
I like this team a lot more than last year's. Tonight wasn't the best game but we looked solid. We'll get the true judge of this team @ UNLV on saturday

We can certainly score this year. Perimeter d needs to get better, Nick and Anthony need to learn to catch, we still need to rebound a lot better and some of our stars need to shoot a lot more(looking at you Kevin) but ya, this team is a lot better than last years. Looking forward to Saturday, hoping we can correct some of those flaws and steal a win in Vegas.