Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

You guys are seriously going to get upset over Illinois fans rushing the court after a win over the 5th team in the nation? I don't care if the entire MSU starting lineup was out, its still a win over the 5th team in the nation, and they were still underdogs before the game.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kev211 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 03:00 AM)
You guys are seriously going to get upset over Illinois fans rushing the court after a win over the 5th team in the nation? I don't care if the entire MSU starting lineup was out, its still a win over the 5th team in the nation, and they were still underdogs before the game.

Yeah, I can't really denounce people who stormed the court yesterday since I did when Mizzou beat #16 Kansas last year. One thing I hated was Dick Vitale's preaching at the end of the game how bad rushing the court is. Dick it isn't your job to play fire marshal, so let the kids have fun and let us just soak in the image. I don't need to hear you stupid ass voice.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 04:00 AM)

no not upset...i just think its funny that u of I students think this is some monumental upset....for me personally...i think of illinois as a program that every year should be in contention for the big 10 championship...therefore, every year they should at least be competetitive against MSU at home, and should reasonably win that game every 2 or 3 years...

illinois is a boderline top 25 team right now IMO...if you are borderline top 25 team you don't rush the court unless you just beat a dominant college basketball team that is ranked #1...not a team that is ranked 5th, and likely to fall out of the top ten coming off an 18 point loss, and is also lacking their best player

if you hand MSU their first loss, ok maybe....i just think it was weak last night

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
no not upset...i just think its funny that u of I students think this is some monumental upset....for me personally...i think of illinois as a program that every year should be in contention for the big 10 championship...therefore, every year they should at least be competetitive against MSU at home, and should reasonably win that game every 2 or 3 years...

illinois is a boderline top 25 team right now IMO...if you are borderline top 25 team you don't rush the court unless you just beat a dominant college basketball team that is ranked #1...not a team that is ranked 5th, and likely to fall out of the top ten coming off an 18 point loss, and is also lacking their best player

if you hand MSU their first loss, ok maybe....i just think it was weak last night

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't think going into last night it was that crazy of an idea for Illinois to have beaten MSU. I even bet on Illinois +2 last night b/c I thought they'd win without Lucas playing. Yeah, you should be excited to win and I was pumped that they did, but rushing the court is dumb.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
Indiana fans, what's up with Matt Roth?

Broke his foot in a practice in November, which resulted in surgery. He's reportedly ahead of schedule and has started to dress and participate in shoot-around. A decision is supposed to come soon, to decide if he'll be red-shirted for the season or come back for the remainder of the Big Ten season and BTT. At this point, I believe it makes much more sense to red-shirt him, and call it a night on him coming/rushing back to play this season.

UNC about to fall to 13-10 on the season with a 20+ point loss at UMD. Roy should get a trophy for worst coaching performance of the year. 7 Mickey D's AA's and are a long shot to even make the NIT.

The worst part is that Roy will come back to any fan questioning this years team with his usual "I have more basketball knowledge in my pinky than you do in your entire body" routine.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)

I don't think Illinois is close to that. They beat Michigan State in a close game without their best player. They don't win if Lucas plays. It's a shame Illinois gets a lucky tournament boost because they were a bubble team that now is more solidly in. There's a solid chance Illinois doesn't win more than 2 games the rest of the way. They're going to be big dogs in 3 of their 4 road games and small dogs hosting Ohio State and Wisconsin. They probably win 3 more, but their RPI is only 72 after beating MSU. The schedule boost from this tough stretch will make that go up, but this is not a borderline top 25 team by any stretch of the imagination.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
Evan Turner is easily the best player I've seen at OSU since Jim Jackson, I would put him up there with Glen Robinson, Deron Williams etc in the Mt Rushmore of the conference. Unreal player.

I agree, I love the villain

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
Yeah, I can't really denounce people who stormed the court yesterday since I did when Mizzou beat #16 Kansas last year. One thing I hated was Dick Vitale's preaching at the end of the game how bad rushing the court is. Dick it isn't your job to play fire marshal, so let the kids have fun and let us just soak in the image. I don't need to hear you stupid ass voice.

If it wasn't kU though, I don't think anyone rushes the court.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)

This is the part I don't get. Who cares if a team rushes the court after a big win? Complaining about it sounds either snobby or sour grapes. Besides it isn't like their is a guidebook to when exactly it is acceptable to rush the court.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
Evan Turner is easily the best player I've seen at OSU since Jim Jackson, I would put him up there with Glen Robinson, Deron Williams etc in the Mt Rushmore of the conference. Unreal player.

Unf***in real where he ranks in the Big 10 in PTS/REB/AST. Dude is incredible. Any NBA team that lands him will be incredibly lucky.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 07:20 PM)
Unf***in real where he ranks in the Big 10 in PTS/REB/AST. Dude is incredible. Any NBA team that lands him will be incredibly lucky.

Turner to me is like Scottie Pippen. Just a stat sheet stuffer. And can play almost any position on the floor.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
UNC about to fall to 13-10 on the season with a 20+ point loss at UMD. Roy should get a trophy for worst coaching performance of the year. 7 Mickey D's AA's and are a long shot to even make the NIT.

The worst part is that Roy will come back to any fan questioning this years team with his usual "I have more basketball knowledge in my pinky than you do in your entire body" routine.

They are a limited basketball team with very little peremeter shooting and no point guard to drive and create. Every team they play are aware of these glaring weaknesses and attack them. The team has lost any confidence (rightfully so) and are in a total freefall. Wednsday against Duke could be ugly, the Dookies would love to take some frustration out on the Heels for the past few years.

As for Roy he has earned a pass from me for his dominence the past 5 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 07:19 PM)
This is the part I don't get. Who cares if a team rushes the court after a big win? Complaining about it sounds either snobby or sour grapes. Besides it isn't like their is a guidebook to when exactly it is acceptable to rush the court.

The league should fine the school who bum rushes the court,/field like the SEC does in football, I think they do in hoops as well. It could easily be quelled! Very easy to establish a "guidebook', you don't do it or you get stung hard!

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
The league should fine the school who bum rushes the court,/field like the SEC does in football, I think they do in hoops as well. It could easily be quelled! Very easy to establish a "guidebook', you don't do it or you get stung hard!

Why? Its not like football where people were getting injured/killed by the goal posts, okkay, i like making fun of the illini. But rushing the court is amazing, its pure emotion.

And i he when schools denounce it and act like they hate it, and then go and sell posters of the images of students rushing the court.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)

Illinois is nowhere close to a top 25 team at the moment. Your talking about a team who is 0-5 on a neutral court and has really one marquee victory over a Michigan St. team without Lucas. I suppose Clemson was a decent win too but they have looked awful since the beginning of the season.

And yes, the Illini fans should not have rushed the court vs. the Spartans. I can understand Northwestern doing it vs. Purdue because they have not beaten a ranked team in a while but you would think the Illini fans would be a little more knowledgeable and realize they just beat a team without Lucas at home in one of the toughest arenas to play in.

Right now the Illini would probably be in the tourney but you never know what surprises are in store in conference tourney play, teams like Georgia and Maryland appeared out of nowhere in the past to make the tourney and this ruined some of the bubble teams chances in the past. The smaller conferences also play a big part too if there are upsets.

I feel the Pac-10 might get two bids if Cal doesn't win and that eliminates another tourney spot.

Regardless, Illlinois needs to win a game or two more in their remaining games, which is easier said then done when looking at who they still play, Wisconsin, Purdue, Ohio St, and even Michigan and Minnesota are tough.

Not sure that Pippen was second fiddle in College.

He averaged 23 points, 10 rebounds and 4.3 assists as a senior.

If Evan Turner gets drafted by a team with Lebron James, hes going to be second fiddle. Its not a knock on Turner, but hes unlikely to be the best player of his generation, which Jordan was.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
Not sure that Pippen was second fiddle in College.

He averaged 23 points, 10 rebounds and 4.3 assists as a senior.

If Evan Turner gets drafted by a team with Lebron James, hes going to be second fiddle. Its not a knock on Turner, but hes unlikely to be the best player of his generation, which Jordan was.

At Central Arkansas....Yeah thats true, but even when Scottie was on his own he showed serious lack of leadership during crucial moments.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
I don't think Illinois is close to that. They beat Michigan State in a close game without their best player. They don't win if Lucas plays. It's a shame Illinois gets a lucky tournament boost because they were a bubble team that now is more solidly in. There's a solid chance Illinois doesn't win more than 2 games the rest of the way. They're going to be big dogs in 3 of their 4 road games and small dogs hosting Ohio State and Wisconsin. They probably win 3 more, but their RPI is only 72 after beating MSU. The schedule boost from this tough stretch will make that go up, but this is not a borderline top 25 team by any stretch of the imagination.

Disagree here. I'm not convinced Lucas makes that game any different. Maybe less turnovers, but the game wasn't won/lost because of a lack of offensive efficiency. Both teams executed the entire game. It just came down to Illinois hitting big shots at the end.

I DO think this team is a borderline top 25 team. They're easily 3-4 games better than the record indicates, even if you throw out the Clemson win. They've been soundly beaten twice this season (Missouri, 2nd half of MSU), the rest of their losses are from poor 2nd half play. That's what happens when you rely heavily on 3 freshman and 3 juniors. This is the 2nd youngest team in the conference (behind Indiana) and they're still tied for 2nd, within a game of first.

No need to talk about it though. They clearly have the schedule to prove whether or not they belong.

Pippen was arguably HOF and top 50 of all time. I just think its premature to suggest that Turner is a better leader or star than Pippen, considering Turner hasnt played a single NBA game.

If Turner turns out to be as good as Pippen hed have an amazing career. Just seems odd to already be suggesting hes better.