Thome, $ to LAD for Fuller-Jose to COL for $, Hynick

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:29 PM)
Fuller is a 26 year old guy in A ball.

Ya he's basically a scrub. Kinda weird seeing us getting more for Contreras than Thome cause of the HOF credentials, but pitching is hard to come by and Jose can still get it together/change of scenery.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
Contreras has given ALOT to this organization, glad they were able to find him another place to play. To cut him would of made us look very bad, glad you're not the GM.

Exactly. That's why I was all for starting him last Saturday at Yankee Stadium rather than cutting him to make room for a minor league call-up. It would have been disgraceful to do that to him one week before rosters expand.

I'm glad they were able to trade him to a playoff contender. This allows him to depart with dignity as he deserves.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
Contreras has given ALOT to this organization, glad they were able to find him another place to play. To cut him would of made us look very bad, glad you're not the GM.

I could've elaborated. My comment was being typed before he got dealt and I was touching on him this season. His play this season was/is awful. He did a tremendous amount in the past for us but there have been plenty of guys in organizations over the years where eventually it becomes "business" and time to move on.

They did the right thing in keeping him aboard but had he not been one of our Cuban players - I am not so sure we wouldn't have seen him demoted or DFA'd.

I think from a business standpoint we have a good thing with our relationship and our perception with cuban ballplayers. Which is nice seeing as we struggle to land other top notch latin players.

That was my point. Without a doubt to me his performance has sucked and I wouldn't have had him on our roster to do the damage he did to this team with his play. His games sucked the life out of this team IMO. What he did in the past for us and what I mentioned above is what kept him here. That and I like to think this organization has some class.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
for an NL team Thome is a pinch hitter, for a NL team with some of those terrible lineups, Jose can actually contribute a lot more

I'll bet that he gets some starts at 1B. He'll only be playing there for a month or two.

"This guy has a lot to set up hitters -- a fastball, a little slider, a changeup and a split-finger -- and he is very efficient with those pitches," Rockies player development director Marc Gustafson said. "He has the command to be very efficient, meaning he does not get deep into counts.

"He prepares himself very well. He probably reminds me of [Rockies lefty] Jeff Francis when we had him in the Minor Leagues. Jeff was a very good student of an opponent and how he's going to pitch to each guy. Brandon communicates well with his catcher."

Part of the reason the 6-foot-3, 205-pound Hynick frustrates hitters is he thinks like one. In his final collegiate season, he played first base and outfield when he wasn't pitching and batted .301 with 12 doubles, leading Birmingham-Southern in home runs (15) and RBIs (49) in 50 games.

"In college I had a very good coaching staff that gave scouting reports on the hitters, and I was a two-way player," Hynick said. "I developed some knowledge as a situational hitter, and I brought that into my pitching."

"I just want to show that I throw a lot of strikes, that I don't throw away pitches, and I have the poise to pitch anywhere."

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=col

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)
They did the right thing in keeping him aboard but had he not been one of our Cuban players - I am not so sure we wouldn't have seen him demoted or DFA'd.

I don't think that his nationality had anything to do with it. If the Sox DFA'd a veteran American or Canadian player at the end of August, they'd look equally bad.