Octavio Dotel

Quin

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
So, since Tony Pena isn't Dotel Lite, what do we do with Octavio this offseason?

I'm for resigning him, since he adds a strength to the bullpen, and Pena or Linebrink are the other options for the right-handed setup man.

They will not offer him arb and he will be a UFA that will sign elsewhere, imo.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
If I read you right, are you saying that you see upcoming FA signings being very minimal?

I don't see the Sox spending over $90-95 million next year, and they're already committed to $67 million. That doesn't include the one-year contracts they'll have to shell out to arbitration-eligible Quentin, Danks, and Jenks or what they'll have to spend to replace Thome, JD, and Pods and fill out the rest of the 25-man roster. I agree with Balta that Thome or another left-handed DH will be signed for somewhere in the $5M range, and bringing back Pods might be an option. But outside of that, I don't see a whole lot of discretionary funding remaining.

Everbody's been clamoring for a leadoff man on our team with some speed. We have arguably one of the best in baseball right now (the way he played this year) yet we are not crazy about bringing Pods back.

It's so easy to take your own players for granted.

If Pods is healthy, he ain't done yet. And we have youth in the minors to replace him if for some reason he pulls a Rios.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
Everbody's been clamoring for a leadoff man on our team with some speed. We have arguably one of the best in baseball right now (the way he played this year) yet we are not crazy about bringing Pods back.

If Pods is healthy, he ain't done yet. And we have youth in the minors to replace him if for some reason he pulls a Rios.

I'd like to see a show of people who think Pods will play in at least 130ish games next year and be injury free.

Factor in his base running blunders, the poor fielding, him leaving his prime, his drop in speed, and this years numbers being a lot higher than his career numbers, and you have the reasons why people don't want him back.

I think Pods may be healthy next year, just historically hes not a .300 hitter. If he wants to sign a contract thats based on his career performance, Id be more than willing to bring him back as a back up OF/DH who plays 3-4 out of 6 games.

I just dont think paying him starting CF money is warranted based on 1 come back season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)

The average OBP for an AL leadoff hitter is .354, Podsednik is currently at .358. The average line is .283/.354/.419/.774, podsednik: .307/.358/.412/.770. Being about league average does not make you one of the best in baseball especially when he's piss poor in other facets of the game at which you expect your leadoff hitter to excel. He's a 34 year old man without a position, a career .340 OBP and very bad injury history putting up about league average numbers for his position in the lineup while supplying your team with some of the worst baserunning in the game. If Kenny doesn't look to upgrade the leadoff spot this winter I'm going to be very upset.

By the way, just in the AL:

Figgins: .303/.402/.397/.799

Jeter: .330/.397/.470/.867

Ichiro: .357/.386/.461/.847

Span: .309/.393/.409/.802

Roberts: .283/.350/.454/.804

Scutaro: .282/.379/.409/.788

Ellsbury: .300/.350/.411/.761 (60/69 in SB)

These are your best leadoff hitters. Not only are they better at the plate but they also hold other valuable traits on the diamond. And that's not even counting guys like Sizemore, Granderson, Kinsler, Bartlett, Dejesus and Upton who are either having down years or just haven't logged enough PA in the leadoff spot this year. Can we set our standards just a wee bit higher as a fan base, please. There are leadoff hitters in the AL with OBP in the .380 to .410 range who are capable of running the bases adequately and playing some decent defense.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
I think Pods may be healthy next year, just historically hes not a .300 hitter. If he wants to sign a contract thats based on his career performance, Id be more than willing to bring him back as a back up OF/DH who plays 3-4 out of 6 games.

I just dont think paying him starting CF money is warranted based on 1 come back season.

Going into next season podsednik will get a starting job somewhere, whether it be here or elsewhere. There is no reason for him to have to settle for anything less at this point. He especially would not be willing to come back here and have his playing time reduced after he has had his best season offensively by far since his rookie season in 2003.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)

I think you make a valid point and one I have argued in the past. We all want to win and that should be without argument. But, when we have someone not performing to a high standard for whatvere reason, or just becasue we don't seem to take a shining to a player, the clamor is to cut them, trade them, blow them up, etc, and not realize that people have slumps and bad years. I look at the clamoring that was done on Vazquez and Swisher for instance. Both could have helped this team in 2009. One can certainly aergue about a future contributor being acquired, but those two have worked well for their new teams. We may react to quickly and regret the move that is made. We need to stop, take a step back and a deep breath and think that 2010 may bring a healthier player or just a clean start. Trades and FA signings are made to plug holes in your team not create more or just set up another problem.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
I think you make a valid point and one I have argued in the past. We all want to win and that should be without argument. But, when we have someone not performing to a high standard for whatvere reason, or just becasue we don't seem to take a shining to a player, the clamor is to cut them, trade them, blow them up, etc, and not realize that people have slumps and bad years. I look at the clamoring that was done on Vazquez and Swisher for instance. Both could have helped this team in 2009. One can certainly aergue about a future contributor being acquired, but those two have worked well for their new teams. We may react to quickly and regret the move that is made. We need to stop, take a step back and a deep breath and think that 2010 may bring a healthier player or just a clean start. Trades and FA signings are made to plug holes in your team not create more or just set up another problem.

Agreed.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)

Thats true, we certainly would have made the playoffs if we had Javy this year. I sure hope Flowers turns out to be the stud catcher of he future because hes all we got left in that deal. Of course we do have Chris Young back in Rios, albeit with less power.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
That's not the point.

It damn sure is!

So Pods is league average.

Do you want league average or what we've had the last two years?

Do you want league average at a premium offensive spot for below average pay, or do you want Dewayne Wise?

I'll take Podsednik, with all his flaws, for $3-4 million at this point.

Provide me with better options (and Figgins at $40 million is not a better option, all things considered), and I will begin listening...

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 06:58 PM)

Fantastic post. This is why we need to be very careful on how we treat Rios this yea. He has the opportunity to be a very big contributor in 2010, and I don’t want to see him “Swishered.”

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
Having to chose between Scott Podsednik and Dewayne Wise is unacceptable. Those shouldn't be the only two realistic options. It's the job of the front office to find a reliable player who can bat at the top of the order on a consistent basis. No White Sox fan should just accept those options because of what we have had at the position previously. It makes no sense.

It's not a question of accepting anything.

It's a question of being realistic.

We can all clamor for one of the top 5 leadoff men in the game, but given our starting rotation, some of our expensive players, it's unrealistic and naive to demand we get one of those guys.

KW is one of the most proactive GM's (if the not most proactive) in the game. He hasn't been able to fix this problem for years. Don't you think there is a reason for that?

I can sit here and demand a brand new 5000 sq foot house on a golf course too, but that doesn't mean it's in the cards. Sometimes you have to be realistic and do the best you can. For the money, Scottie is probably the best we can do.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
It's not a question of accepting anything.

It's a question of being realistic.

We can all clamor for one of the top 5 leadoff men in the game, but given our starting rotation, some of our expensive players, it's unrealistic and naive to demand we get one of those guys.

KW is one of the most proactive GM's (if the not most proactive) in the game. He hasn't been able to fix this problem for years. Don't you think there is a reason for that?

I can sit here and demand a brand new 5000 sq foot house on a golf course too, but that doesn't mean it's in the cards. Sometimes you have to be realistic and do the best you can. For the money, Scottie is probably the best we can do.

If its a question of being realistic, wouldn't being realistic mean thinking Scott Podsednik can match his output of this season next season, a pipedream? Considering Abreu received $5 million, Hudson was only guaranteed $3 million this past offseason, guaranteeing Pods anything near that for next year is crazy.

It damn sure is!

So Pods is league average.

Do you want league average or what we've had the last two years?

Do you want league average at a premium offensive spot for below average pay, or do you want Dewayne Wise?

I'll take Podsednik, with all his flaws, for $3-4 million at this point.

Provide me with better options (and Figgins at $40 million is not a better option, all things considered), and I will begin listening...

Randy Winn.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 07:44 PM)
If its a question of being realistic, wouldn't being realistic mean thinking Scott Podsednik can match his output of this season next season, a pipedream? Considering Abreu received $5 million, Hudson was only guaranteed $3 million this past offseason, guaranteeing Pods anything near that for next year is crazy.

Absolutely. But it's a better risk, in my opinion, then not signing him and going in with Chris Getz.

I don't think there are going to be as many deals this offseason as there were last offseason. Last year there was an over-reaction to the economy, and I think owners and GMs this year will realize this. I have been saying for two years now that the pendulum will eventually swing back in favor of signing some veterans and getting a bit of performance certainty, instead of going with all these young kids.

There will be a balance between cost certainty and performance certainty, and I think it will begin this offseason.

Teams are still going to go young, but I don't think you're going to see too many more deals like Bobby Abreu or ODog got. Although ODog is going to end up costing LA more than Abreu will cost the Angels because of the incentives.

Absolutely. But it's a better risk, in my opinion, then not signing him and going in with Chris Getz.

I don't think there are going to be as many deals this offseason as there were last offseason. Last year there was an over-reaction to the economy, and I think owners and GMs this year will realize this. I have been saying for two years now that the pendulum will eventually swing back in favor of signing some veterans and getting a bit of performance certainty, instead of going with all these young kids.

There will be a balance between cost certainty and performance certainty, and I think it will begin this offseason.

Teams are still going to go young, but I don't think you're going to see too many more deals like Bobby Abreu or ODog got. Although ODog is going to end up costing LA more than Abreu will cost the Angels because of the incentives.

I would rather have Getz lead off and get somebody like Randy Winn who can play excellent defense. That will be important with the pitching staff we have. I just really doubt that pods repeats what he did this year. All his stats are higher than his career average (BABIP is higher too). Being a year older, he will lose more speed and get even worse in the outfield probably. He just isnt worth it.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
I would rather have Getz lead off and get somebody like Randy Winn who can play excellent defense. That will be important with the pitching staff we have. I just really doubt that pods repeats what he did this year. All his stats are higher than his career average (BABIP is higher too). Being a year older, he will lose more speed and get even worse in the outfield probably. He just isnt worth it.

If Wynn is available for a similar price, I am all for it. What do you think his contract demands would look like?

If Wynn is available for a similar price, I am all for it. What do you think his contract demands would look like?

I can't imagine it being much higher than pods. He is having a down year, so we can probably get him cheaply too. Hopefully he isn't physically decline. Judging by his UZR, his defensive numbers are still good. Hopefully that is evidence that he isn't losing his speed. He would be a nice asset. His OBP is usually around .350 too.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
I can't imagine it being much higher than pods. He is having a down year, so we can probably get him cheaply too. Hopefully he isn't physically decline. Judging by his UZR, his defensive numbers are still good. Hopefully that is evidence that he isn't losing his speed. He would be a nice asset. His OBP is usually around .350 too.

Yeah, he is consistently underrated. He made $8.25 million this year in the last year of a 3 year deal with the Giants.

He's 35 this year though and posting a .314 OBP and a .667 OPS.

I would pass unless he signed a 1 year deal in the $1-2 million range.