2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

A Rays fan asked me if I'd trade Rios straight up for Crawford right now. I said yes (assuming we'd have Crawford past the end of his current contract) but after I looked to see their OBP and SLG were virtually identical and now I don't think the answer is really that easy. Crawford is probably a better fielder than Rios is, and Crawford is better on the basepaths (I don't know why Rios has so many CS's this year) but they seem to basically be the same hitter right now.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take Crawford over Rios...I feel like we saw the best of Rios the first few months, but Crawford might have a higher ceiling. I've seen Crawford hit some mammoth homers this year, and wouldn't be shocked if he's hitting 30 homers a year in a few seasons.

This is about as good as Rios will get. That said, what Crawford's been doing this year might be about as good as he gets. Overall, Crawford is the better player. But I think he'd cost a lot more than Rios' $12 million annual salary. I think we have the better value in Rios.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
OK, I was driving earlier and I heard a blurb on the radio about MLB starting to test for HGH. Did I miss something?

They are starting to test in the minor leagues for HGH first. This was announced the same day Rick Ankiel was called up. Coincidence??? I think not.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
I was thinking that the best team in baseball on a given day are the Rangers with Cliff Lee on the mound. That lineup is ridiculous (besides Chris Davis), and the Rangers bullpen is extremely underrated.

That guy has had so many chances, I can't believe hes still only 24. Line since being called up after the Smoak trade: .179/.233/.205

This is what I understand happened, could easily be wrong:

Chone Figgins makes a half-assed play in the field. Later Figgins is involved in an altercation with Don Wakamatsu in the dugout likely stemming from his lack of effort in the field (according to Eric Byrnes [who f***ing sucks in studio] Russell Branyan was somehow involved).

Jose Lopez was also involved, looked to be on Figgins' side.

EDIT: So Lopez v Branyan?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
I was thinking that the best team in baseball on a given day are the Rangers with Cliff Lee on the mound. That lineup is ridiculous (besides Chris Davis), and the Rangers bullpen is extremely underrated.

Any given day? You could make the argument that they're the best team period. That front office has done one heck of a job resurrecting what was once a doormat franchise.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)
Best player from the '08 draft. No doubt in my mind. And I can't help but feel good that the Pirates and their fans FINALLY have not one but two (McCutchen being the other) legitimate future superstar players to embrace and build around. Those fans deserve it.

don't get me wrong, I'm as big of an Alvarez fan as there is (as witnessed by my avatar)....but right not i'd have to take buster posey from that draft ...

that draft is looking to be a good one though...alvaraez, posey, beckham, jason castro, brian matusz already having lots of big league success plus guys like hosmer who has broken out in a ridiculous way this year

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 06:40 AM)
don't get me wrong, I'm as big of an Alvarez fan as there is (as witnessed by my avatar)....but right not i'd have to take buster posey from that draft ...

that draft is looking to be a good one though...alvaraez, posey, beckham, jason castro, brian matusz already having lots of big league success plus guys like hosmer who has broken out in a ridiculous way this year

The crazy thing is, if the draft were done over today, Tim Beckham wouldn't sniff the Top 10.

Gordon, Posey, Alvarez, Smoak, Wallace, Matusz, Castro, Alonso, Davis, and Kelly are all guys in the first round who could go before him in a re-draft.

Imagine if the Rays had drafted Posey or Gordon...wow.

Edited by Quinarvy

So would I.. and I love Alvarez too. (though I know your probably his biggest fan daa)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 07:49 AM)
The crazy thing is, if the draft were done over today, Tim Beckham wouldn't sniff the Top 10.

Gordon, Posey, Alvarez, Smoak, Wallace, Matusz, Castro, Alonso, Davis, and Kelly are all guys in the first round who could go before him in a re-draft.

Imagine if the Rays had drafted Posey or Gordon...wow.

Tampa Bay has to be kicking themselves for drafting Tim Beckham.

I've got no problem with that. Like I said, a lot will depend on if Alvarez can stick at third. The power potential is real.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
He could be depending on how long he lasts.

To me, he was just so dominant for about a five year stretch, and IMO that should be enough to get him in. He should have three Cy Young awards (should have won over Colon in 2005), which would basically make him a lock.