Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

Troubling things here: The pkrase of the day in Sox management has switched fro "under the radar" to "you have to look at the projection" and "their profile" Plus here we go again about how much the Sox have valued a player from anothet team for several years. Addiiotnally now we are hearing there is "no money available"

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)
Yeah, I think it's kind of unfair to judge Swish's numbers here. We were jacking him around, putting him in defensive positions he wasn't accustomed to, asking him to bat leadoff, etc.

Let's face it, we were asking him to do a lot of things and he didn't perform particularly well doing them, and then it got kind of ugly. Nothing to do but move on.

I do miss the dirty 30 thing though...:(

Yeah, really unfair. You have got to be kidding me. Except for June, when he was tremendous, he was horrible, a minor leaguer, and it was all his fault.

Batting leadoff screwed him up? Check the facts:

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+

Batting 1st 29 29 130 105 20 22 3 0 3 8 1 2 23 27 .210 .354 .324 .678 34 6 1 0 1 2 0 .250 86 81

Batting 2nd 8 7 31 25 6 3 1 0 2 3 0 0 6 7 .120 .290 .400 .690 10 1 0 0 0 0 0 .063 85 85

Batting 3rd 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .000 .000 .000 .000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -100 -100

Batting 5th 11 7 33 28 2 7 1 1 0 2 0 0 3 8 .250 .313 .357 .670 10 0 0 1 1 1 0 .333 81 73

Batting 6th 17 16 68 57 9 13 5 0 3 11 0 0 9 19 .228 .324 .474 .797 27 2 0 0 2 0 0 .270 113 108

Batting 7th 56 56 215 187 35 44 6 0 11 33 2 1 25 48 .235 .335 .444 .779 83 2 3 0 0 0 0 .258 109 112

Batting 8th 27 27 104 90 14 19 4 0 5 9 0 0 14 23 .211 .317 .422 .740 38 3 0 0 0 3 2 .226 98 114

Batting 9th 4 1 6 4 0 1 1 0 0 3 0 0 2 2 .250 .500 .500 1.000 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 .500 173 244

Looks like he couldn't bat just about everywhere, and the White Sox never asked him to play anywhere he had not played before. Boo hoo, poor Nick didn't perform. It can't possibly be his fault. GMAB.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 06:19 PM)
Troubling things here: The pkrase of the day in Sox management has switched fro "under the radar" to "you have to look at the projection" and "their profile" Plus here we go again about how much the Sox have valued a player from anothet team for several years. Addiiotnally now we are hearing there is "no money available"

We have been talking about no money for a while now. That shouldn't be a surprise at all.

I'd have to agree with everything here. Kind of scary.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 07:19 PM)

Mark Teahen has been coveted by multiple organizations for years. The fact is: he has the skill set, he has the projectable size, the indicators for future gains are their. The results are not, this is KW making an investment in someone with tremendous upside. I see no problem with that.

Edited by Thunderbolt

My gosh, Bolt. If you lived in Kansas City you'd be mocked for your comments on Mark. He is considered kind of a joke around here. Not a good fielder; strikes out a ton. The excuse you could make (which would be an excuse) is he got moved around too much, no good players around him blah blah blah. We can hope, but this is not like we've acquired anybody good. It was basically us trading average to below average talent to the Royals for average to below average talent. Both sides hoping lightning will strike.

To Teahen's credit, he is regarded as a guy who plays hard and when hurt and is good with media and teammates.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 01:05 AM)
My gosh, Bolt. If you lived in Kansas City you'd be mocked for your comments on Mark. He is considered kind of a joke around here. Not a good fielder; strikes out a ton. The excuse you could make (which would be an excuse) is he got moved around too much, no good players around him blah blah blah. We can hope, but this is not like we've acquired anybody good. It was basically us trading average to below average talent to the Royals for average to below average talent. Both sides hoping lightning will strike.

To Teahen's credit, he is regarded as a guy who plays hard and when hurt and is good with media and teammates.

This is by far the wisest statement you have ever said.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 01:05 AM)

Wow.. what an outstanding post.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 02:14 AM)
Why is it the worst thing I've ever said. I said Teahen was average. You are gonna argue he's better than average? He has a lot to prove before you can call Mark above average don't you agree??

:huh: I think you read his post wrong.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 02:05 AM)

Seeing as the only KC figure i really have all that much of a respect for is Joe Posnaski, i have no problem with being mocked. KW sees something in Teahen that a lot of other GM's have seen before, and have tried to exploit. The fact that he only had to give up Getz and Fields to get it is an added bonus.

Starting each season knowing you have a very limted chance of competing has got to be tough and then when June rolls around and your season is over every year has got to be even harder unless you are Miek Sweeney then it is fine because your are on the IR anyway. On top of this Teahan was moved all over the place.

I think Buddy Bell and Greg Walker are key in this.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
Starting each season knowing you have a very limted chance of competing has got to be tough and then when June rolls around and your season is over every year has got to be even harder unless you are Miek Sweeney then it is fine because your are on the IR anyway. On top of this Teahan was moved all over the place.

Buddy Bell managed 9 seasons in the major leagues for 3 different organizations. His teams came in last place 6 times, 4th twice (one of the 4th place finishes he was fired during the season and the team was in last place when he got the boot) and 3rd place once with a 79-83 record. I know he's highly respected but I would take his reccommendation about players being major league ready or contributing to winning with a grain of salt.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
Buddy Bell managed 9 seasons in the major leagues for 3 different organizations. His teams came in last place 6 times, 4th twice (one of the 4th place finishes he was fired during the season and the team was in last place when he got the boot) and 3rd place once with a 79-83 record. I know he's highly respected but I would take his reccommendation about players being major league ready or contributing to winning with a grain of salt.

Being able to recognize talent is much different than actually able to coax it out of players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 02:26 AM)
We have been talking about no money for a while now. That shouldn't be a surprise at all.

We heard that and picked up Peavy and Rios.

OK, I am willing to wait and see how things all work out as I have had my entire baseball fan life as a Chisox supporter. But, things we are seeing and hearing are troubling to me

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)

I think KC has become the Sox farm system same as the KC Athletics of the 50's and 60's were the Yankees

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
Being able to recognize talent is much different than actually able to coax it out of players.

Who has he recognized that no one else could? I think he has very little impact on draft selections. Isn't he supposed to be developing players? Being around those bad teams, he may have a warped sense of what major league ready is.

From the Rosenblog

« Follow the money | Main

November 06, 2009

Sox dealing, Bulls d'ing up, Hawks blowing it

Share | It’s official: The White Sox traded Chris Getz and Josh Fields for another version of A.J. Pierzynski.

Mark Teahen hit .271 with 12 homers and 50 RBIs, so he actually hit worse than Pierzynski with similar power numbers. Combined, Pierzynski and Teahen still didn’t match the homer total of Jermaine Dye, who was just given a lovely parting gift of $950,000 after another second-half flameout.

The Sox play in U.S. Homer-Happy Park. I don’t see how a gap hitter makes this all better. I also don’t see how the Sox make good on the rumored Chone Figgins love.

If you have Teahen at third and Gordon Beckham at second with Figgins as one of the corner outfielders, you have no power outside of Carlos Quentin and Paul Konerko at first. Certainly not enough power for the Sox’s home park. Alex Rios was a disaster in center. Alexei Ramirez makes my head hurt. And while I’m with everyone else who loves Beckham, his projected 22-25 homers should be somewhat of a bonus, not a demand.

If not Figgins, then what's the next-best rumor?

The best part is, it’s only November and Sox general manager Kenny Williams has the trading version of ADHD.

It’s not that I don’t like Teahen. He was a guy Sox fans always noticed. Sort of a Joe Randa with training wheels. Teahen has hit more homers and driven in more runs against the Sox than he has against any other opponent. I’ve always disliked these kinds of trades because Teahen doesn’t get to face Sox pitching anymore.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
Who has he recognized that no one else could? I think he has very little impact on draft selections. Isn't he supposed to be developing players? Being around those bad teams, he may have a warped sense of what major league ready is.

I think you're way off base here.

Bell has an outstanding reputation for identifying/developing talent.

And he's completely revamped (and dramatically improved) our minor league system in the last 3 years.

While i find Rosenbloom's comparison of Teahen to AJ adorable, it is also way off base. I'm still not sure we're never going to recover from trading Chris Getz of all people. If the trade doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. I won't think for a minute that it never should have been made.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)

I don't get how being a manager of bad teams means he has no idea how to recognize talent.

Even getting past this, his big thing is supposed to be teaching fundamentals to some of these kids coming through the system.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
I think you're way off base here.

Bell has an outstanding reputation for identifying/developing talent.

And he's completely revamped (and dramatically improved) our minor league system in the last 3 years.

Who? The system improved because the draft improved. No Beckham no Viciedo who they spent money on, no Flowers who was with someone else, the system would be near the bottom. What did Buddy have to do with their acquisitions? With whom did Buddy earn his reputation? Jordan Danks leading off for the 2010 White Sox would be a disaster.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
I don't get how being a manager of bad teams means he has no idea how to recognize talent.

Even getting past this, his big thing is supposed to be teaching fundamentals to some of these kids coming through the system.

I said if he thinks a player is major league ready, like he said of Jordan Danks, to take it with a grain of salt. He managed groups of guys that apparently were no where near major league ready for 9 years.

You can't argue with results, DA. Buddy Bell has played a pretty fundamental part in this organization since his hiring, and his focus (the minor league system) has only gotten better since he's gotten here. Sometimes you got to call a spade a spade. Buddy Bell has only helped out system improve.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
You can't argue with results, DA. Buddy Bell has played a pretty fundamental part in this organization since his hiring, and his focus (the minor league system) has only gotten better since he's gotten here. Sometimes you got to call a spade a spade. Buddy Bell has only helped out system improve.

I think he has had very little impact on the talent level improving. Until the Sox start calling up guys with a little consistency that have a clue as to what they are doing, I'm holding out buying something just because Buddy said its so.