Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:11 PM)
No way do they trade Alexei.

I'm going by Kenny's comments late last year talking about guys who "quit". I bet Alexei was one of those guys he was talking about, as his body language and play in Aug. and Sept. certainly looked the part. There were few guys Kenny could be pointing the finger at and he certainly won't ruin a guy's trade value by berating beforehand.

Teahen may be "penciled" in now at 3b, but I think a better glove man is out there, such as Beltre or Figgins so the sox can move Gordon to SS.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 06:27 PM)
I'm going by Kenny's comments late last year talking about guys who "quit". I bet Alexei was one of those guys he was talking about, as his body language and play in Aug. and Sept. certainly looked the part. There were few guys Kenny could be pointing the finger at and he certainly won't ruin a guy's trade value by berating beforehand.

Teahen may be "penciled" in now at 3b, but I think a better glove man is out there, such as Beltre or Figgins so the sox can move Gordon to SS.

But your talking trading Alexei and signing a guy like Orlando Hudson for 2B, who had lost his job by season's end.

You better with Alexei then without, I just don't see it.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)

He hit .282 and .283 in Aug and Sept. Not sure when he "quit" according to you. And Gordon isnt going to be the SS of the White Sox or any other team, give it up.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
Wow, JorDanks is in the mix for the big club? Wow. Our OF defense would be alot better with him in CF and Rios in RF. Im not so sure about having him lead off though.

Buddy Bell thought he was ready before his wrist injury las year. It's very possible that this organization is far higher on Danksy 2 then even any of us on this board.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 04:04 PM)
A few things struck me reading that article.

1] Jordan Danks may be closer than most people think. But he still shouldn't be counted on for the top of the order. If he comes to Chi. in 2010, it will be to hit near the bottom of the order. Thus, the sox need to acquire a leadoff hitter, as they don't have one in the system.

2] Getting a guy like Orlando Hudson makes a lot of sense to play 2b and hit leadoff. I don't buy into the sox moving Beckham to 2b and learning another new position. Gordon's bat is going to be critical to the sox success on offense.

3] If Teahan is better at 3b than Gordon, then I could see Gordon moving back to his natural spot at SS.

4] Gordon at SS means Alexei could be dealt. Alexei could then bring back a key bat and pitching help.

IMO, the next big move is Alexei being dealt. That would pave the way for Gordon to move to SS. Then the sox could sign Hudson or less likely, Figgins. The sox would have to move a salary like Konerko's for them to afford Figgins.

I'll never understand your desire to get rid of Alexei. Simply put, he's worth so much more than he's making that you'd have to get a ton back in a trade to move him. I don't see anyone, including the Red Sox, paying the price KW would be looking for.

Also, I think 2B is where Beckham belongs. IMO, that's where he's best suited to play and offers the best value to the club.

Moving Konerko would be great, but why would anyone want him at $12 million? Yes, he had a solid season but there are so many 1B/DH type players on the market that he seems somewhat untradeable without giving some cash or taking back some contract (not necessarily bad) back.

Finally, while I think Danks has a great future ahead of himself, I don't think you can start the season with him in your lineup. We already have enough question marks throughout the lineup. If some things do go wrong, you don't want Danks struggling in the #9 spot to add fuel to the fire.

Kenny telling us that Teahen will start at 3B instead of a corner OF position tells me we're in the market for a RF. I really doubt we start the season with Jordan Danks or any other in-system prospect at a corner OF position or even CF.

It also tells me that Figgins is a now a pipe-dream.

Edited by chw42

Teahen To The White Soxby Dave Cameron - November 5, 2009 - Share this Article

Dayton Moore has made a lot of bad trades and been roundly criticized for a lot of his decisions as the Kansas City GM. Today, though, we stand and applaud, because he reportedly kicked off the off-season with a fantastic deal for his club, sending 3B/OF Mark Teahen to the White Sox for 2B Chris Getz and DH Josh Fields.

Let’s start with Teahen. He’s been rumored to be trade bait for a couple of years now, as he had been displaced by Alex Gordon at third base and split time between the infield and the outfield looking for a permanent home. A large part of the reason he hasn’t been able to land at any single spot on the diamond is because he just isn’t very good.

Teahen is 28-years-old and has accumulated 2,732 plate appearances in the big leagues. He has a career .269/.331/.419 line that works out to a .327 wOBA, which makes him a slightly below average hitter. He’s just average across the board. He makes some contact, he walks a little bit, he has some gap power, and he runs okay, but he’s not good at any one particular offensive skill.

A league average bat has value if he can help a team out defensively, but Teahen isn’t a great defender. His UZR at third base is downright terrible, which is why it should be no surprise that the White Sox apparently plan on using him as an outfielder. He’s okay in a corner, but he’s nothing special, and the combination of an average bat and average defense in a corner outfield spot makes for a below average player overall.

That’s basically what we see with Teahen. He’s accumulated +5.0 WAR over his career, working out to just over +1 win per full season. He’s a useful major league player, but not one that should be starting regularly on a club that wants to win. When you factor in that he’s a second year arbitration eligible player, likely due for a 2010 salary of around $5 million or so, Teahen is basically a zero value asset. His cost is about the same as his contribution.

That Kenny Williams gave up Getz and Fields for the right to pay Teahen about what he’s worth is kind of crazy. Both of the two players going to KC have flaws – Getz lacks power and Fields can’t play defense – but they’re cheap and have a little upside beyond what they’ve shown in the majors. Fields has serious home run power and could add some value as a slugging 1B/DH type for the league minimum. Getz makes a bunch of contact and can play second base adequately. Both are role players or fringe starters, but they make the league minimum and offer some useful skills.

The two players Moore got back from KC aren’t franchise changers – they’re just useful parts to have around in spring training when putting a roster together. Teahen is just not someone that should be making significant money, and given his arbitration status, he’s basically a non-value asset. The White Sox could have acquired a similar or better player by just spending the $5 million they’ll give him in free agency without sacrificing any talent.

This is the right move for the Royals, clearing payroll and bringing in some younger talent that could help the team in the future. For the White Sox, this is yet another sign of the questionable talent evaluation methods used by Kenny Williams. There was no reason to give up anything of value for Teahen. All he’s done with this move is give himself a right fielder who shouldn’t play everyday and open up a bigger hole at second base.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
Teahen To The White Soxby Dave Cameron - November 5, 2009 - Share this Article

Dayton Moore has made a lot of bad trades and been roundly criticized for a lot of his decisions as the Kansas City GM. Today, though, we stand and applaud, because he reportedly kicked off the off-season with a fantastic deal for his club, sending 3B/OF Mark Teahen to the White Sox for 2B Chris Getz and DH Josh Fields.

Let’s start with Teahen. He’s been rumored to be trade bait for a couple of years now, as he had been displaced by Alex Gordon at third base and split time between the infield and the outfield looking for a permanent home. A large part of the reason he hasn’t been able to land at any single spot on the diamond is because he just isn’t very good.

Teahen is 28-years-old and has accumulated 2,732 plate appearances in the big leagues. He has a career .269/.331/.419 line that works out to a .327 wOBA, which makes him a slightly below average hitter. He’s just average across the board. He makes some contact, he walks a little bit, he has some gap power, and he runs okay, but he’s not good at any one particular offensive skill.

A league average bat has value if he can help a team out defensively, but Teahen isn’t a great defender. His UZR at third base is downright terrible, which is why it should be no surprise that the White Sox apparently plan on using him as an outfielder. He’s okay in a corner, but he’s nothing special, and the combination of an average bat and average defense in a corner outfield spot makes for a below average player overall.

That’s basically what we see with Teahen. He’s accumulated +5.0 WAR over his career, working out to just over +1 win per full season. He’s a useful major league player, but not one that should be starting regularly on a club that wants to win. When you factor in that he’s a second year arbitration eligible player, likely due for a 2010 salary of around $5 million or so, Teahen is basically a zero value asset. His cost is about the same as his contribution.

That Kenny Williams gave up Getz and Fields for the right to pay Teahen about what he’s worth is kind of crazy. Both of the two players going to KC have flaws – Getz lacks power and Fields can’t play defense – but they’re cheap and have a little upside beyond what they’ve shown in the majors. Fields has serious home run power and could add some value as a slugging 1B/DH type for the league minimum. Getz makes a bunch of contact and can play second base adequately. Both are role players or fringe starters, but they make the league minimum and offer some useful skills.

The two players Moore got back from KC aren’t franchise changers – they’re just useful parts to have around in spring training when putting a roster together. Teahen is just not someone that should be making significant money, and given his arbitration status, he’s basically a non-value asset. The White Sox could have acquired a similar or better player by just spending the $5 million they’ll give him in free agency without sacrificing any talent.

This is the right move for the Royals, clearing payroll and bringing in some younger talent that could help the team in the future. For the White Sox, this is yet another sign of the questionable talent evaluation methods used by Kenny Williams. There was no reason to give up anything of value for Teahen. All he’s done with this move is give himself a right fielder who shouldn’t play everyday and open up a bigger hole at second base.

I honestly think that around $2 million for Teahen is decent. Cameron's main argument of why this deal would be bad is that we would be paying Teahen around $4 million this year. That's not the case anymore.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)
David Cameron's just pissed off that now we have no need to trade Danks for JOSE LOPEZ, JUSTIN VARGAS, and MARK LOWE.

Ne he's not. He makes a very reasonable point and then backs it up satisfactorily with statistics.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
I don't think the trade has much of an impact for them this year. Both of their guys are going to the bench.

I can definitely see Fields platooning with Jacobs at DH or 1B sometimes against lefties and Getz as the full time 2B or also platooning against righties. You could also see Callaspo either traded or moved to another position. Alex Gordon is really falling out of favor over there.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 06:24 PM)
Ne he's not. He makes a very reasonable point and then backs it up satisfactorily with statistics.

It was a joke.... but okay. I like Cameron, i see his logic here, it doesn't make up for the sheer absurdity of some of his opinions.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)

I basically hated Alexei at shortstop for most of the year, but I did feel he got a lot better in the last 2 months. His range and awareness seemed to improve. I don't think you can do that if you've quit. If anything, he looked more focused, not less.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)
He hit .282 and .283 in Aug and Sept. Not sure when he "quit" according to you. And Gordon isnt going to be the SS of the White Sox or any other team, give it up.

Kenny called out guys on the sox and said they quit. We'll know who he was talking about after this offseason. IMO, Alexei is one of those guys he called out. And Alexei started hitting late in Sept.

The article also stated that some in the sox org. thought Gordon was going to be switched to SS, not 2b. I'm just saying having one of your key bats learn another new position doesn't make a lot of sense. He'd be better off staying at 3b.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
I like the Teahen addition, but I'm a little worried about losing Getz's speed & if Pods doesn't come back we lose a lot of stolen bases-on top of speed(scoring with runners on).

Podsednik is a mediocre base stealer, if you're looking to replace those SBs it shouldn't be hard to do so.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 04:31 PM)
But your talking trading Alexei and signing a guy like Orlando Hudson for 2B, who had lost his job by season's end.

You better with Alexei then without, I just don't see it.

Why exactly did Hudson "lose his job"? Also, how do his overall numbers from last year stack up with the White Sox roster even with his poor final month?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
Royals fans love the deal as well BTW. I'd say it could be a nice deal for both sides when it's all said and done.

I just know we're going to hate seeing Getz in the 8th/9th innings for the next 5 years. He's one of those guys who will just keep burning us.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 05:36 PM)
I just know we're going to hate seeing Getz in the 8th/9th innings for the next 5 years. He's one of those guys who will just keep burning us.

Getz owned the Royals in a couple of games last year if I'm not mistaken.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:29 PM)
I basically hated Alexei at shortstop for most of the year, but I did feel he got a lot better in the last 2 months. His range and awareness seemed to improve. I don't think you can do that if you've quit. If anything, he looked more focused, not less.

He did improve from all the mental lapses early in the year. I'm still not sold on his baseball IQ, though--esp. playing the most important position on the diamond.