You're KW in the offseason

2nd_city_saint787

within reason what do you do this offseason. Feel free to throw so if and buts in there.

heres me as kenny williams this offseason.

Hey yo padres GM Ive got Hudson, Flowers, Viciedo, Retherford and Link who can all make your team now for that Gonzalez fellow.

Hey san fran GM you need some offense and some leadership on your team Ive got just the guy for you, Paul Konerko and all you have to do is throw me oh idk Eugelino Feliz or fred lewis or Andres torres and bob howry

Hey rockies gm youre a good team but your pen sucks ive got just the guy for you Scott Linebrink will help that problem and ill even give you our new guy Mark Teahan for a guy your not even playing, Garret Atkins...(very doubtful but possible, maybe even throw em Stanziel or link as well)

Hey Chone Figgins howd you like to be batting in front of gordan beckham, carlos quentin, and adrian gonzalez. (you freed up a lot of money by getting rid of linestink pk)

at this point id be content with putting D2 out there because we'd be stacked offensively

then id sign up joe beimel and jason kendall

that would leave us with

1. Figgins 3B

2. Beckham 2B

3. CQ RF/LF

4. Gonzalez 1B

5. Atkins DH

6. Rios CF

7. AJ C

8. Lexi SS

9. Danks LF/RF

That right there is as good defensively as it is offensively.

Bench

Kotsay

Kendall

Nix

San fran guys/de aza

1. Peavy

2. Buehrle

3. Floyd

4. Danks

5. Garcia

LRP Williams L

LRP DJ R

MRP Biemel L

MRP Pena R

SU Thornton L

SU Howry R

what would you do??

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
within reason what do you do this offseason. Feel free to throw so if and buts in there.

heres me as kenny williams this offseason.

Hey yo padres

Hey san fran GM

Hey rockies gm youre a good team

Hey Chone Figgins

LMAO, this is awesome

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
Hey rockies gm youre a good team but your pen sucks ive got just the guy for you Scott Linebrink will help that problem and ill even give you our new guy Mark Teahan for a guy your not even playing, Garret Atkins...(very doubtful but possible, maybe even throw em Stanziel or link as well)

If I were Kenny Williams, and you could pull that off, I'd hire you to replace me and resign.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
Wait for bargains. Read Bill Veecks book and learn how to build a team with no money

Things have changed. Veeck operated in a time when paying your player's salaries could be done fairly easily by filling up your ballpark.

While obviously that still helps, simply filling up your ballpark doesn't make the biggest dent in paying your payroll anymore.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
Things have changed. Veeck operated in a time when paying your player's salaries could be done fairly easily by filling up your ballpark.

While obviously that still helps, simply filling up your ballpark doesn't make the biggest dent in paying your payroll anymore.

Especially his first tour of duty with no FA. His second, he was a cheapskate who had so little money instead of releasing Ron Schueler he made him the pitching coach. At the beginning of the 90's, the Twins had baseball's highest paid player and KC had the highest payroll.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
Offer Dotel arbitration and sign Thome dirt cheap.

We are in a very good spot IMO on Dotel. Worst or Best (different view for some posters) case scenario, he accepts and he's another good veteran arm in the pen. Or.. he can decline it and we'd have a sup. pick comming to us. IMO personally... it's a win-win. The spect lover in me though hopes he declines, but I could definitely see Dotel accepting if he really likes the guys and the overall team here. I still like Dotel with us in the pen alot.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 07:36 PM)
We are in a very good spot IMO on Dotel. Worst or Best (different view for some posters) case scenario, he accepts and he's another good veteran arm in the pen. Or.. he can decline it and we'd have a sup. pick comming to us. IMO personally... it's a win-win. The spect lover in me though hopes he declines, but I could definitely see Dotel accepting if he really likes the guys and the overall team here. I still like Dotel with us in the pen alot.

Ditto.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)

You sir, summed up my feelings on Dotel.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)

I thought we weren't even going to offer him arb?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
I thought we weren't even going to offer him arb?

We won't. It would cost us $6.5 million + next year minimum to offer him arbitration, unless he signs with somewhere else first. That's 2-3 times the amount you'd pay for him right now otherwise. Offer him arbitration and Viciedo is our DH next year, potentially.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
We won't. It would cost us $6.5 million + next year minimum to offer him arbitration, unless he signs with somewhere else first. That's 2-3 times the amount you'd pay for him right now otherwise. Offer him arbitration and Viciedo is our DH next year, potentially.

It's 6.5? Coulda sworn it was lower.. If that's the case.. then yea, the sox probably won't unless Jenks and/or Linebrink are traded. Or they can always go the OCab route, and tell him they don't want him back and just decline it. :D

EDIT: Your right Balta.. six mil actually, though can't he get only 5 mil if the two sides compromise?

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 11:44 PM)
It's 6.5? Coulda sworn it was lower.. If that's the case.. then yea, the sox probably won't unless Jenks and/or Linebrink are traded. Or they can always go the OCab route, and tell him they don't want him back and just decline it. :D

EDIT: Your right Balta.. six mil actually, though can't he get only 5 mil if the two sides compromise?

The lowest you could offer a FA in arbitration is 80% of their previous years' salary. In Dotel's case 80% of $6M is $4.8M

Acquire a position player the fans can get excited about. You did it with Peavy, KW, on the mound. Now do it in the field. Granderson would be that guy. Get him.

Or Nate McLouth. Get him.

Or Dunn. Or Manny. Get us a name position player or DH type.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 11:44 PM)
See, with a 90 mil payroll, I wouldn't mind offering Dotel 5 or 6 mil.

There aren't really any better RP options out there, and at worst, the Sox get a draft pick.

If the payroll is $90M then that money is all but spent at this point, there's no room for a $6M 7th inning man, you find those guys off the scrap heap when you're strapped for cash. If there's a legitimate chance of Jenks being unloaded because he's going to make about 8 million next year then $6M+ for Dotel is lunacy.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 10:44 PM)

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 12:41 AM)
The lowest you could offer a FA in arbitration is 80% of their previous years' salary. In Dotel's case 80% of $6M is $4.8M

Dotel qualified as a type A free agent, no arbitrator is going to give him a paycut. If they went to arbitration and the Sox submitted $5M and Dotel's camp went with $6.5M he'd win instantly. There's absolutely no reason for Dotel to take any less than $6M on a 1 year deal if he were to accept arbitration and they tried to work something out. If I'm Kenny Williams I pray someone signs him before Dec. 1st making the decision for me but when that doesn't happen and it's November 30th at 11:59 I'm not calling Octavio. If he's willing to talk about a 1 year deal with a $2.5M base plus mild incentives in December then I might be game but I don't think there's $6M in the budget for Octavio Dotel, he's just not that good.

If I'm Kenny I call up Jed Hoyer and offer Flowers/Hudson/Viciedo/Retherford/Link for AGon, as a base. Then I add to the trade by throwing in Torres/PTBNL (Mitchell, when we can) for Bell. Finally, I toss in Hynick for Poreda (think Gio Gonzalez, where we reacquire a prospect).

Then I resign Pods for left field.

Sign Olivo for backup catcher.

Lineup:

LF - Pods

SS - Ramirez

2B - Beckham

1B - Gonzalez

RF - Quentin

DH - Konerko

C - AJ

CF - Rios

3B - Teahen

That lineup has really good potential if people can just get over last years issues.

Rotation stays the same (Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Garcia)

Bullpen looks like:

CL - Jenks

SU - Bell

SU - Thornton

MR - Linebrink

MR - Nunez

LR/MR - Poreda

LR - Carrasco

Bench:

1B/OF - Kotsay

OF - De Aza

C - Olivo

2B/SS/3B - Nix

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 02:53 AM)
If the payroll is $90M then that money is all but spent at this point, there's no room for a $6M 7th inning man, you find those guys off the scrap heap when you're strapped for cash. If there's a legitimate chance of Jenks being unloaded because he's going to make about 8 million next year then $6M+ for Dotel is lunacy.

I'm allowed to be a lunatic; we're pretending to be KW.

The guy wanting Adrian Gonzalez and Chone Figgins should be more in your sights than me.

QUOTE (KevinM @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 07:55 AM)
Can people at least wait for Jared Mitchell to accrue some value before they ship him off in deals for overrated, age 30+ relief pitchers? The kid's raw as hell. He needs time, and the investment could pay off big time. Think Desmond Jennings.

Well, luckily for you, these people aren't allowed to make the decision...;)