Free Agent Tracker

Heads22

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 01:58 AM)
Id be all over Ryan Garko as an option for DH

Really? I find it very difficult to get excited about a player as mediocre as Garko. He's average to below average defensively. He doesn't hit for much power, doesn't walk, isn't quick. He's completely bleh for me.

Now Cust on the other hand...

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
Really? I find it very difficult to get excited about a player as mediocre as Garko. He's average to below average defensively. He doesn't hit for much power, doesn't walk, isn't quick. He's completely bleh for me.

Now Cust on the other hand...

For a cheap option, Id be all over him. Its very plausible Garko can still get better, and he's proven to give you at least some production. Plus, he mashes lefties, and Im sick and tired of seeing us get owned by any average lefty starter.

Id rather bring back Thome than sign Cust.

Hell, at this point, I wouldnt mind bringing back Dye as the DH.

The recent White Sox all free agent team: (This team would be frustrating to watch, too bad it includes some of my favorite players)

C- Ramon Castro

1B- Darrin Erstad

2B- Juan Uribe

3B- Joe Crede

SS- Orlando Cabrera

LF- Scotty Pod

CF- Brian Anderson

RF- Jermaine Dye

DH- Jim Thome

Bench-

Tadahito Iguchi

Rob Mackowiak

Jeremy Reed

Frank Thomas

SP Jon Garland

SP Bartolo Colon

SP Jose Contreras

SP DJ Carrasco

SP Toma Ohka

RP Lance Broadway

RP Neal Cotts

RP Scott Schoenweis

RP Octavio Dotel

SP Mike Macdougal

Edited by b-Rye

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)
The recent White Sox all free agent team: (This team would be frustrating to watch, too bad it includes some of my favorite players)

C- Ramon Castro

1B- Darrin Erstad

2B- Juan Uribe

3B- Joe Crede

SS- Orlando Cabrera

LF- Scotty Pod

CF- Brian Anderson

RF- Jermaine Dye

DH- Jim Thome

Bench-

Tadahito Iguchi

Rob Mackowiak

Jeremy Reed

Frank Thomas

SP Jon Garland

SP Bartolo Colon

SP Jose Contreras

SP DJ Carrasco

SP Toma Ohka

RP Lance Broadway

RP Neal Cotts

RP Scott Schoenweis

RP Octavio Dotel

SP Mike Macdougal

That team would win about 30 games.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)

C- Ramon Castro

1B- Darrin Erstad

2B- Juan Uribe

3B- Joe Crede

SS- Orlando Cabrera

LF- Scotty Pod

CF- Brian Anderson

RF- Jermaine Dye

DH- Jim Thome

Bench-

Tadahito Iguchi

Rob Mackowiak

Jeremy Reed

Frank Thomas

SP Jon Garland

SP Bartolo Colon

SP Jose Contreras

SP DJ Carrasco

SP Toma Ohka

RP Lance Broadway

RP Neal Cotts

RP Scott Schoenweis

RP Octavio Dotel

SP Mike Macdougal

The lineup, while nothing to be excited about isn't as bad as you'd expect from all FA's. The rotation has 1 ok starter, and the bullpen has 1 1/2 good arms.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 12:57 AM)
I'd love it if the Sox would get Jose Arredondo. I think he would be nasty in our bullpen and I'm shocked he was non-tendered.

There seems to have been a falling out between Arredondo and the Angels. He's an interesting candidate, but he's going to miss all of next year due to the Tommy John surgery he had just 4 days ago.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 01:08 AM)
There seems to have been a falling out between Arredondo and the Angels. He's an interesting candidate, but he's going to miss all of next year due to the Tommy John surgery he had just 4 days ago.

Ouch.. well that answers alot of stuff. :lol: TJ is interesting for pitchers good or bad. I'm sure there will be some team(s) that will be of interest to sign him to see if he can come back strong (or stronger) from it ala Jon Lieber.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 02:08 AM)

Ouch! Now that I know that, I think I'd pass on Arredondo now. :(

I'll jump on the Cust bandwagon. ;)

Garrett Atkins would be a nice addition if he could come cheaply (however I imagine there's multiple teams looking at him)

Solves the issue at 3B if we're moving Beckham back to the middle infield.

I know Atkins was HORRIBLE last year but he's still a guy that plays a decent third and is roughly a career .800 OPS. Think he's out of our price range but I'd be pretty happy if he landed here.

Sign me up also for an Adam Miller reclamation project. Pretty low risk in that one with a possible good bullpen reward.

QUOTE (Fotop @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 02:24 AM)
Garrett Atkins would be a nice addition if he could come cheaply (however I imagine there's multiple teams looking at him)

I know Atkins was HORRIBLE last year but he's still a guy that plays a decent third and is roughly a career .800 OPS. Think he's out of our price range but I'd be pretty happy if he landed here.

Sign me up also for an Adam Miller reclamation project. Pretty low risk in that one with a possible good bullpen reward.

Garrett Atkins is at a career -5.0 UZR in his career at 3B in 5400 innings. I think it's pretty safe to say he's not that good over there.

Also, both Adam Miller and Anthony Reyes were resigned by the Indians to minor league deals.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 01:08 AM)

The thing is if we sign him, we do own his rights for three years.

QUOTE (Fotop @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 02:24 AM)

He is another product of Coors. These are his numbers for the last three years...

AWAY

.233 .302 .394 .696

HOME

.326 .379 .489 .868

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
Arrondondo has a spectacular arm. Bummer that he'll need Tommy John and he fell way off the radar for the Angels, but could use a change of scenery once he's healthy again. It would be a very low risk move that could pay off big-time.

The guy has plus plus stuff.

jose arredondo, imo would be a great gamble (reclammation) looking for 2011. i players i have been looking at seems to be pitchers,. scott olsen (before he signed with the nat), matt capps, even miller.... i just thought of this a an inexpensive way of getting the players who can help without giving up prospects.

with ref to position players, is there any out there in the no tendered that tickles anybody fancy?

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
jose arredondo, imo would be a great gamble (reclammation) looking for 2011. i players i have been looking at seems to be pitchers,. scott olsen (before he signed with the nat), matt capps, even miller.... i just thought of this a an inexpensive way of getting the players who can help without giving up prospects.

with ref to position players, is there any out there in the no tendered that tickles anybody fancy?

A few people have mentioned Ryan Garko, but given the Sox needs, I just don't know if there are any great fits, outside of some of the catchers that were non-tendered (John Buck/Miguel Olivo).

By the way, as always, good to see ya around LDF!!!

Sounds like it...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/1052318...cal;-deal-close

Free-agent right-hander John Lackey underwent a physical Monday with the Red Sox, an indication that he is close to an agreement with the team, according to a major-league source.

The deal is expected to be similar to the five-year, $82.5 million contract that the Yankees awarded free-agent right-hander A.J. Burnett last winter.

The Red Sox generally do not like to award five-year contracts, which is one of the sticking points in their negotiations with free-agent left fielder Jason Bay. It is not known whether they would guarantee Lackey five years, or award him a three- or four-year deal with options.

The signing of Lackey would represent the Red Sox's second major move of the offseason; the team earlier signed free-agent shortstop Marco Scutaro to a two-year, $12 million contract.

The Sox still need to address left field and their corner-infield positions. A major investment in Lackey would indicate that they might not spend heavily on Matt Holliday to replace Bay, perhaps signing free agent Adrian Beltre to play third if they complete a trade of Mike Lowell to the Rangers.

Bay's agent, Joe Urbon, said Saturday that his client was prepared to "move on" due to a difference of opinion with the Red Sox on what he should be command as a free agent.

The Sox's move on Lackey appears to be an aggressive response to Bay's position — and their signing of him would be a devastating blow to the Angels, who earlier this offseason lost free-agent third baseman Chone Figgins to the Mariners.

The Angels and Phillies are the front-runners in trade discussions for Blue Jays right-hander Roy Halladay, according to major-league sources. Another possibility for the Angels would be a trade for Braves right-hander Derek Lowe.

Lackey, 31, is considered the top starting pitcher on the free-agent market. He was 102-71 with a 3.81 career ERA in eight seasons with the Angels, and 3-4 with a 3.12 ERA in the postseason.

The Red Sox, in addition to Lackey, are trying to sign right-hander Josh Beckett to a contract extension. Beckett, 29, is entering the final year of his contract. His career numbers are slightly better than Lackey's, and he would command at least a comparable deal.

Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse was the first to report that Lackey was undergoing a physical with Boston.

That would make the BoSox rotation a lot stronger, imo. Lackey is a good bet to be a pretty solid #2 for a long-time. The money and years are too much for a guy that has had some nagging arm issues the past couple seasons and we know he isn't a true #1, but Boston can afford to overpay a starter.

What a shock (not). Sucks to be the Angels. So in two years they will have lost Tex, K-rod, Figgins and Lackey. I'd imagine they're really gonna step up their pursuit of Halladay. As for the Red Sox, the first 3 in their rotation is as good as it gets. But there's no way they resign Bay now. And they've got a giant hole at 3B (assuming the Lowell trade goes through). They're probably a lot more open to dealing Buchholz for a big bat now.

Edited by Jordan4life