Roy Halladay in a White Sox uniform???

wilmot825

On Sportsnite on Comcast, Chuck Garfien reported on the Winter Meetings and showed clips from the Q&A with Kenny Williams. Garfien asked Williams "Are you aware Roy Halladay is on the market?" to which Williams paused for a few seconds and replied "No Comment." Then Garfien asked right away "Are the White Sox pursuing a trade for Roy Halladay?" Where Williams then paused again, smiled, and said "No Comment." Does that mean there is something behind that???? I doubt it too but maybe there is a chance.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming that if we WERE to get Halladay, Danks or Floyd would be sent in the trade along with either Hudson and or Flowers. Now I don't think it to be very wise to sell the farm for Halladay when he has openly said he will test free agency after next season. So how worth it is it really? I just don't know.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
Read somewhere that players sent their way would have to include Danks, Hudson, and two other top prospects in the organization. Danks2, and Flowers

If the sox are giving away anybody in the current rotation (which will probably eliminate KW's possible dream of a Halladay-Peavy-Buehrle-Floyd-Danks ungodly rotation) then it probably won't work, especially for a guy who is probably a one year rental and will seek big money after this season.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
If the sox are giving away anybody in the current rotation (which will probably eliminate KW's possible dream of a Holliday-Peavy-Buehrle-Floyd-Danks ungodly rotation) then it probably won't work, especially for a guy who is probably a one year rental and will seek big money after this season.

That staring rotation would be just filthy.

Don't get your hopes up. Williams is just being slick. It would probably cost them at least John Danks and/or Gavin Floyd, not to mention whatever they have left in their minor league system, plus he's only under contract for 1 season at a contract that the White Sox probably would say they can't afford.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 11:25 PM)
Probably the best ever.

Lord no. Not even close. Not even top 10 (20?).

Just off the top of my head I'll go with the rotations everyone knows and loves: 1998 Braves and the 1971 Baltimore f***ing Orioles.

Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Millwood, Neagle (combined ERA somewhere around 3.00, the big 3 all finished in the top 4 or 5 of CY voting that year)

and

Palmer, McNally, Dobson, Cueller (all won 20 f***ing games)

There's also the '93 Braves with Steve Avery but the 5th starter was no one special.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 10:18 PM)
A mindgame, i presume. KW likes playing games with the media. He's not a guy we can get easily, nor is he a guy who we really need. Not to say that getting him wouldn't be legendary.

Yea, it has to be a mind game, as the price is just far too large for 1 season of Halladay.

And we'd also have to win every game 1-0 since getting any offense would be out of the question.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
Yea, it has to be a mind game, as the price is just far too large for 1 season of Halladay.

And we'd also have to win every game 1-0 since getting any offense would be out of the question.

Well with Doc and his endurance... he's a guy who can go 9 innings with ease. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce

Article will be up tomorrow from Mark Gonzo on both Halliday and Matsui...

INDIANAPOLIS -- General manager Ken Williams offered a firm "no comment" Monday when asked if the White Sox were involved in the Roy Halladay sweepstakes.

Williams also declined to get into particular names when asked about any interest the Sox would have in free agent Hideki Matsui, a left-handed hitter who fits the profile they're seeking.

But manager Ozzie Guillen and Williams were more forthcoming in entertaining the probability that Carlos Quentin could move from left field to right field, with Alex Rios staying in center field.

That scenario would give the Sox more options as they move closer toward filling their roster at the winter meetings.

One case that seems to be narrowing is the return of leadoff batter Scott Podsednik, as Williams appears tired of slow negotiations that have lasted for more than two months.

As of now, the Sox's best option is new second baseman Gordon Beckham, whom Guillen would prefer to bat sixth or seventh.

"Obviously, we have roster spots to fill, and (Podsednik's) still out there," Williams said. "If he has a sincere desire both in terms of fit and dollars to match up, then it's time to get serious."

Williams intimated his options could expand as soon as Sunday.

"There will be some bats available after the tender date (Saturday), so you got a lot of options," Williams said. "Which road we'll travel down, I don't know. That's why we're here. We've got to let it play out."

During a session with national media, Guillen said Quentin would move from left to right as long as Quentin felt comfortable, adding that right is his natural position.

When asked point-blank about Matsui, Guillen said: "We got room for a lot of people. We need one more guy. It could be him. He has to show us he can play the outfield too."

But Matsui, 35, hasn't played left field since 2008 because he was recovering from knee surgery and relegated to designated hitter duty in 2009.

Guillen also prefers speed over a run producer, and Williams places a premium on defense. Matsui, the World Series MVP, is known more for his bat.

And there's the issue of money. The Sox have about $20 million left for the final 11 spots on their roster, and Matsui made $13 million last season with the New York Yankees.

"The one thing I've learned over the years," Williams said, "you start talking about a particular player, you either lead people down the wrong road inadvertently, or lead them down the right road and don't get the deal consummated."

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 11:58 PM)
Article will be up tomorrow from Mark Gonzo on both Halliday and Matsui...

Well, with only $20M left on the payroll...how much could we expect after arbitration to all the guys with it? Like, 5 million left?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 12:12 AM)
Well, with only $20M left on the payroll...how much could we expect after arbitration to all the guys with it? Like, 5 million left?

I'd say it'll cost somewhere between $17.5M and $19M total for Jenks, Danks, Quentin, Teahen, Carrasco and Pena. That doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 02:18 AM)
I'd say it'll cost somewhere between $17.5M and $19M total for Jenks, Danks, Quentin, Teahen, Carrasco and Pena. That doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room

Is this estimate for this year or next? I ask because I'm not sure of how the process works out in it's entirety ie why would we need to pay Teahan arb this year if we just acquired him?

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 12:35 AM)
Is this estimate for this year or next? I ask because I'm not sure of how the process works out in it's entirety ie why would we need to pay Teahan arb this year if we just acquired him?

It's for 2010. The arbitration hearings are held in February to decide the player salaries for the upcoming year. So the Sox will have to work out 1 year contracts before the hearings in February of 2010 or submit a figure to an arbitrator, plead their case and hope their salary is chosen over the number submitted by the player, this process will determine the 2010 salary for the 6 arbitration eligible players currently on the White Sox roster.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 12:18 AM)

Well, that definitely makes Halladay very undesirable, unless JR lets us raise the payroll a lot.

From the White Sox Facebook:

Here's a little interesting side note attached to covering Ken Williams during the Winter Meetings or during really any high-traffic period where trades are the focus, whether it's the offseason or the non-waiver trade deadline. Williams never has been afraid to pull the trigger on a big deal, make that an extremely big deal, and he's never been afraid to listen on potential inquiries.

No player is off-limits, although some are less likely to be moved than others. Factoring in all of these particular circumstances, and it's easy to see how the White Sox are linked to many a big-name player.

Earlier in the week, I was talking to Williams and asked him about Jake Peavy. Williams said the two had talked and that Peavy was fired up and ready to go for 2010. He said the purpose of this call to his new ace was to sort of pick Peavy's brain about a former teammate, getting a feel as to what fit he would have in the clubhouse.

When I asked Williams if that player in question was San Diego's Adrian Gonzalez, not expecting any sort of direct answer, Williams paused and then gave me a "No comment."

Let's move ahead to Monday, the first official day of the 2009 Winter Meetings, and jump to the half-way point of Williams' 20-minute session with the media. Check out this following interaction.

"If you didn't have Jake Peavy, would you be in on Roy Halladay?" a reporter asked Williams of the Toronto ace, who is known to be on the market.

"No comment," Williams responded with a smile.

"Are you in on Roy Halladay?" another reporter asked.

"No comment," Williams answered, still smiling.

Either Williams is trying to acquire both Gonzalez and Halladay, judging by the similarity of his responses, or the White Sox general manager has become Major League Baseball's consummate poker player. Before the Halladay press conference is planned at U.S. Cellular Field, though, remember the right-hander has a full no-trade clause, has expressed a desire to stay in Florida for Spring Training and would probably cost the White Sox either John Danks or Gavin Floyd, along with prospects such as Jordan Danks, Daniel Hudson and/or Tyler Flowers, as a purely hypothetical talent package in return.

And there's no guarantee Halladay would be anything more than a one-year rental, set to earn $15.75 million in the final year of a three-year, $40 million deal. Of course, I'm taking a huge leap based on two simple words from Williams, who would have probably asked about Babe Ruth's availability if he was running a team at that point.

Then again, it's easy to dream about the big catch when Williams is at the helm, even though he readily admits the team is in a financial holding pattern. One reporter I was talking to on Monday night said he never would count out the White Sox.

As for the potential pursuit of Juan Pierre, the Dodgers want a starting pitcher in return for the leadoff man/outfielder and the White Sox would want a sizable portion of the $18.5 million owed him over the next two years to be picked up. Doesn't sound like a fit.

I dislike that package for Halladay in every way. It's giving up far to much talent for a one year rental which would gut the top level of the farm and prevent Kenny from acquiring a big time bat, so no matter how great a rotation of Peavy-Buehrle-Halladay-Floyd/Danks-Garcia is, we'd have a very questionable offense.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 01:33 AM)
From the White Sox Facebook:

I dislike that package for Halladay in every way. It's giving up far to much talent for a one year rental which would gut the top level of the farm and prevent Kenny from acquiring a big time bat, so no matter how great a rotation of Peavy-Buehrle-Halladay-Floyd/Danks-Garcia is, we'd have a very questionable offense.

I know you've been pounding home this point throughout this thread, but in a hypothetical rotation like that (especially, in an even less likely reality of a Peavy-Halladay-Buehrle-Floyd-Danks rotation), the Sox wouldn't need to score that much at all. And, as I've said before, with good pitching the Sox really only need a mediocre offense to win. Mediocre is certainly possible as long as Rios and Quentin offer real contributions next year. But if those two are bad, it will probably be a tough year.