Sox in on JJ Putz?

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
If the price is right then I'd love this move. Another lefty is needed though if this does mean the end of Jenks since we can't count on Putz to close right out of the gate, even if he is perfectly healthy.

I wouldnt mind kicking the tires on Mahay.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it really interesting how KW's FA moves are becoming so public. It seems everyone knows that he pursuing Putz and Matsui and expect it to happen, which is contrary to his historical trend. Yet we have no clue what will happen in the OF.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 06:57 PM)
I find it really interesting how KW's FA moves are becoming so public. It seems everyone knows that he pursuing Putz and Matsui and expect it to happen, which is contrary to his historical trend. Yet we have no clue what will happen in the OF.

It's Cowley's fault bra.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 06:57 PM)

The players and agents have a vested interest in creating competition for their services. It is not a big surprise that stuff leaks out.

FWIW, Bruce Levine says the sox and cubs have been the most aggressive with Putz, and that the sox have offered him a contract. Says base could be $2.5 mill. and with incentives up to $6, $7 mill. If true, sounds like a fair deal, with Brandon Lyon getting a 3 yr $15 mill. deal. Better not to be saddled with extra years than to pay out more if Putz meets the incentives.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?name=levine

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 05:47 AM)
FWIW, Bruce Levine says the sox and cubs have been the most aggressive with Putz, and that the sox have offered him a contract. Says base could be $2.5 mill. and with incentives up to $6, $7 mill. If true, sounds like a fair deal, with Brandon Lyon getting a 3 yr $15 mill. deal. Better not to be saddled with extra years than to pay out more if Putz meets the incentives.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?name=levine

Again the Sox usually go with a team option when it comes to contracts. If anything it would be a mutual option with a buyout.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
Cubs are not gonna lose this guy to us as the new owner will not let this happen image wise

Ehhhh, they don't really have a lot of money to work with right now unless they can move Bradley. If the Sox move fast enough they shouldn't have to worry about the Cubs.

I would love to pick him up, but if we lose him I wouldn't be heartbroken considering the pile of problems from last year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
You mean the deal that was done until Hunter went back on his word and signed with the Angels? That deal?

Yeah I am pretty sure KW almost blew a gasket when that happened. Hunter was pretty much signed sealed and delivered when he backed out.

Per Rotoworld:

Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that the White Sox have made an offer for free agent reliever J.J. Putz.

The White Sox have been the most aggressive team for Putz, with multiple teams still interested, including the Cubs. The 32-year-old Putz worked out for the Cubs on Wednesday and will again on Friday. Levine writes that he could sign for a $2.5 base salary with another $6-7 million in incentives.

QUOTE (SoIL @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
Per Rotoworld:

Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that the White Sox have made an offer for free agent reliever J.J. Putz.

The White Sox have been the most aggressive team for Putz, with multiple teams still interested, including the Cubs. The 32-year-old Putz worked out for the Cubs on Wednesday and will again on Friday. Levine writes that he could sign for a $2.5 base salary with another $6-7 million in incentives.

I see this has already been posted. Doh!

Edited by SoIL

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
Cubs are not gonna lose this guy to us as the new owner will not let this happen image wise

Losing out on a middle reliever who missed most of last season due to arm problems and was bad when he did pitch really isn't going to hurt the Cubs' image too much. I doubt Ricketts cares that deeply.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)
You mean the deal that was done until Hunter went back on his word and signed with the Angels? That deal?

yes, I am talking about similar assertive posts that did not come to fruition.