White Sox Non-Tender DJ Carrasco

Kalapse

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
Very odd. There has to be more to the story. How do you go from what your manager called you most valuable pitcher because of his versatility to non-tendered over a few hundred thousand?

Gotta be somethin' shady going on. This just doesn't make any sense.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
This dont make any sense, he was the best guy out of the pen last year.. another KW move I don't like.. and to be honest I don't think he's made a good move since the Peavy trade.

He wasn't THAT good. But he had a 3.46 FIP last year. That's pretty damn good for a long-man in the AL.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
He wasn't THAT good. But he had a 3.46 FIP last year. That's pretty damn good for a long-man in the AL.

The thing is, it's probably not sustainable. He allowed only 5 HR in 93.1 IP, that's a 0.48 HR/9 and the main reason his FIP was so low. Only 4.9% of his flyballs allowed turned into HR, that's crazy especially for a guy who possesses pedestrian stuff like DJ. His BB/9 was also 2.80, another incredibly low number aiding that FIP, if the Sox project his HR allowed and BB/9 to increase in 2010 -- which they should as he regresses to the mean -- suddenly that FIP is up into the mid 4's and the player with the 3rd lowest average leverage index upon entering a game takes a huge hit in value, basically a replacement player could do an equal job for the minimum.

DJ was probably just asking for too much damn money for what the Sox have him projected for in 2010. DJ had a good case for ~$\1.5M but there just isn't enough upside there to warrant that kind of paycheck in the minds of White Sox brass as 2009 was basically DJ Carrasco maxing out his talent, he'll likely never have a better year than he did in '09. For a little more guaranteed they were able to sign a guy who could be a very good closer if everything goes right, if everything goes right for DJ he duplicates his '09 production and is one of the best mop-up men in the game.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
The thing is, it's probably not sustainable. He allowed only 5 HR in 93.1 IP, that's a 0.48 HR/9 and the main reason his FIP was so low. Only 4.9% of his flyballs allowed turned into HR, that's crazy especially for a guy who possesses pedestrian stuff like DJ. His BB/9 was also 2.80, another incredibly low number aiding that FIP, if the Sox project his HR allowed and BB/9 to increase in 2010 -- which they should as he regresses to the mean -- suddenly that FIP is up into the mid 4's and the player with the 3rd lowest average leverage index upon entering a game takes a huge hit in value, basically a replacement player could do an equal job for the minimum.

DJ was probably just asking for too much damn money for what the Sox have him projected for in 2010. DJ had a good case for ~$\1.5M but there just isn't enough upside there to warrant that kind of paycheck in the minds of White Sox brass as 2009 was basically DJ Carrasco maxing out his talent, he'll likely never have a better year than he did in '09. For a little more guaranteed they were able to sign a guy who could be a very good closer if everything goes right, if everything goes right for DJ he duplicates his '09 production and is one of the best mop-up men in the game.

Oh I agree, K. I was just giving DJ his due. B-rye obviously went way overboard.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 05:34 PM)
Yeah Thorton was better, but this another hole in the team.. with all the holes and question marks on this team 2010 can be really bad or really good.

Honestly, the chances of DJ Carrasco being significantly more effective out of the mop-up role than a kid making the minimum aren't all that great in my mind. And when did mop-up duties become an important role that needs filling? The Sox get a fluky year out of a journeyman in a role normally reserved for AAAA 27 year olds and all of a sudden it becomes an incredibly important part of your pen.

I was one of the few talking up DJ in 2008 and into the 2009 season, he was getting the job done with his non-existent stuff and that's commendable and does have a place in your pen but that was when he was making the minimum. Start multiplying that figure and things change in a big way.

I would have preferred to keep him, but this shows how cash strapped the White Sox are. They added Putz for $3 million, but can't afford Carassco for around 1.5 to 2 million. They still have to find a lea d-off hitter, probably a LF, and possibly a DH still, and that is why I am wondering how they can add a few pieces (even if they don't cost much money) for the offense, and keep the payroll under $100 million. Right now, they are at about $81 or $82 million with I believe 16 players signed. Jenks, Danks and Quentin will probably cost another $13 million for next season, and if you add in 2 or 3 guys like Hudson, Randy Williams and Carlos Torres (guys who make the minimum), we're at 22 players or so at about $95 million with so no upgrades made to the offense (or holes filled). Don't they have to find a way to get better now without increasing the payroll? If so, I would guess we're looking at a trade of some sorts, either to free up money or trade salary for salary.