could be something (most likely not)

chisox2334

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 04:20 PM)
He said something about the White Sox having interest in him and how he thinks that Pierre is BAD with no arm and a little speed. He was blabbering about how Pierre was bad before he came to the Cubs and how he had 2 good weeks last year when Man Ram was suspended. Bernsie is a tool.

Well, aside from the whole '2 week' thing he's right.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
Cowley is probably making light of Kenny's absolute failure of an offseason so far. Every other contender is doing big things while Kenny is loading up on complimentary players. The Sox are out of money already and there's still no RF or DH, but don't worry because Jenks, Linebrink, and Konerko are all still here sucking up salary.

1. KW spent his money for next season on Peavy and Rios at the end of last season. I don't know what big money move you were expecting but the expectioins should not have been very high.

2. I see you don't care for the contracts of Jenks, Linebrink and Konerko and think they are weighing down the possibilites of KW making a move. Most GMs seem to agree with you and nobody wants them and their contracts. If KW were to make a trade with any of them, he would need to eat so much of the contract it would n't give enough salary relief to be of any benefit.

So again I'm not sure why you would have expected any big off season acquisitions when it was pretty obvious KW did most of his big acquisitions at the end of last year.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
1. KW spent his money for next season on Peavy and Rios at the end of last season. I don't know what big money move you were expecting but the expectioins should not have been very high.

2. I see you don't care for the contracts of Jenks, Linebrink and Konerko and think they are weighing down the possibilites of KW making a move. Most GMs seem to agree with you and nobody wants them and their contracts. If KW were to make a trade with any of them, he would need to eat so much of the contract it would n't give enough salary relief to be of any benefit.

So again I'm not sure why you would have expected any big off season acquisitions when it was pretty obvious KW did most of his big acquisitions at the end of last year.

ding ding ding

Peavy and Rios were our offseason pickups.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
The Red Sox have a considerably better farm than we do. So they wouldn't have to give up pieces from the major league team to make a deal work.

i dont think they really need him that much. they just signed lackey and still are going to spend a lot of money on a of'er,most likely holliday. then just sign beltre and keep youkillis at 1st. no reason to trade prospects. we really need a legit bat like that

Ugh, I hope it isn't Pierre. I know we need a leadoff hitter, but I can't see Pierre being the answer to our problems. If the leadoff hitter isn't someone like BJ Upton or Carl Crawford, then we should either just try to fill that within or by signing Pods.

I think we just need one all star hitter to put us in contention with the top teams in the AL.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 04:25 PM)
i dont think they really need him that much. they just signed lackey and still are going to spend a lot of money on a of'er,most likely holliday. then just sign beltre and keep youkillis at 1st. no reason to trade prospects. we really need a legit bat like that

Well they couldn't come to an agreement with Bay. So I don't see them being players for Holliday either. So they're definitely lacking a little offensively. All I'm saying is that they've got the prospects. We don't.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)
ding ding ding

Then that is a very mediocre offseason. One really good and one really bad. Especially considering how bad we need offense.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
Well they couldn't come to an agreement with Bay. So I don't see them being players for Holliday either. So they're definitely lacking a little offensively. All I'm saying is that they've got the prospects. We don't.

why not for holliday? so if we offered flowers,viciedo, danks and hudson, they wouldnt do it?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
lol wut? Worst offseason you have experienced? How many have you experienced? We've bolstered the pen, and now have a pitching staff that may be the strongest (on paper) in baseball, or close to it. We've got a bench full of guys who are exactly what you want - Vizquel's glove and tutoring of the middle infield, Kotsay being a perfect 4th OF and 1B, Jones and his high potential for uber-cheap. You have the Sox waiting on a DH with the glut hanging out there, which is exactly what they should do. The only negative I see so far, is the missing outfielder, and its still early.

Seriously, you are being absurd. What's not to like here, other than the OF spot, and oh by the way its not March yet. Or February, or January, or even late December. Have you seen a whole bunch of teams signing all the good OF's? Because until the couple big trades that came up very recently, seems to me KW was moving faster than most teams were.

This team, today, is better than it was on 10/1, and far better than it was on 4/1. With the OF and DH decisions yet to come. Seems to me its been a pretty good offseason so far.

Jenks has all his health issues, Linebrink is Linebrink, Randy Williams has never done anything worth mentioning, Pena is still a highly-talented work-in-progress, Putz is coming off surgery. The only virtual certainty is Thornton.

Yes, we have some nice bench players. The problem is we do not have any starters for RF or DH. We've blown our wad on bench players and reclamation projects. You can even make the argument that we have actually downgraded from our already pathetic 2009 offense. The only way that wouldn't be the case would be if both Quentin and Rios perform up to their expectations and Paulie doesn't regress. Who is going to replace the 1st half Dye had, or Thome, or Pods? This offense as currently constructed is terrible.

Jones doesn't have hardly any potential anymore. He has slowed down a ton. It's not like if the 2009 Texas version of Andruw Jones got regular playing time he would have been good again. The guy needs to come up with a time machine.

The time of year really doesn't matter if we're out of money. We're stuck with Paulie and Linebrink, and Kenny has already said Jenks will be the closer. Where are we going to come up with the funds to sign anyone good? We've blown our resources on luxuries. That's why the offseason blows. I realize this will be very unpopular among the "it's only December!!!" crowd but I don't care. So far, Kenny's offseason grade should be no better than a D.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
Well, aside from the whole '2 week' thing he's right.

I know you'd disagree with me, but if the Dodgers picked up most of his salary he wouldn't be that bad of a move. I realize you can't stand Pierre and that stats point him out as pretty worthless and I'd agree with a lot of it, but given the Sox needs they could do a lot worse than giving up nothing for Pierre (if they could get him like that) and pay him maybe 3-4M a season.

He had a very good season last year, but the big thing that kills Juan is that he just doesn't get on base at a high enough clip, nor is he a good defensive player. He's a little bit better, more consistnet version of Pods, and if the Sox get a solid DH that would be enough, but again, I'd think you could make a case that Crisp would again be the better get.

That said, Pierre isn't coming off a serious injury (see Crisp) nor does he have the injury riddled past of a Pods.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
Jenks has all his health issues, Linebrink is Linebrink, Randy Williams has never done anything worth mentioning, Pena is still a highly-talented work-in-progress, Putz is coming off surgery. The only virtual certainty is Thornton.

Yes, we have some nice bench players. The problem is we do not have any starters for RF or DH. We've blown our wad on bench players and reclamation projects. You can even make the argument that we have actually downgraded from our already pathetic 2009 offense. The only way that wouldn't be the case would be if both Quentin and Rios perform up to their expectations and Paulie doesn't regress. Who is going to replace the 1st half Dye had, or Thome, or Pods? This offense as currently constructed is terrible.

Jones doesn't have hardly any potential anymore. He has slowed down a ton. It's not like if the 2009 Texas version of Andruw Jones got regular playing time he would have been good again. The guy needs to come up with a time machine.

The time of year really doesn't matter if we're out of money. We're stuck with Paulie and Linebrink, and Kenny has already said Jenks will be the closer. Where are we going to come up with the funds to sign anyone good? We've blown our resources on luxuries. That's why the offseason blows. I realize this will be very unpopular among the "it's only December!!!" crowd but I don't care. So far, Kenny's offseason grade should be no better than a D.

instead of having a 100 mil payroll,whats 5 mil more?

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
Then that is a very mediocre offseason. One really good and one really bad. Especially considering how bad we need offense.

A Cy Young Award winner and an all star that is on the right side of 30. I'd call those pretty darn good moves for an off-season. Sure, Kenny has more things to do, but to ignore what happened at the deadline would be a mistake. Those moves were made a lot more for 2010 and beyond than they were for 2009.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)

Blown our wad? Of the guys we have signed this off-season only Putz is making any kind of money.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
A Cy Young Award winner and an all star that is on the right side of 30. I'd call those pretty darn good moves for an off-season. Sure, Kenny has more things to do, but to ignore what happened at the deadline would be a mistake. Those moves were made a lot more for 2010 and beyond than they were for 2009.

To ignore how poorly Rios hit would also be a mistake.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)

I'm sorry but Alex Rios is a long way from an All Star. He's making $10 million with a .247 .296 .395 .691 line. He wouldn't get anywhere near that money if he was a free agent this year.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 04:25 PM)
ding ding ding

I'm gonna have to disagree on that.. we didn't sign any notable free agents in 08/09 for 09 season... we traded away swisher for prospects, lost cabrera, lost crede, had corky miller, betemit, dewayne wise, colon, contreras on opening day roster (crap) in 09... for 2010 we lost thome, dye, pods, dotel, castro, contreras (about 40 million of the top of my head?) we better spend $ or trade for another big bat and leadoff man.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
why not for holliday? so if we offered flowers,viciedo, danks and hudson, they wouldnt do it?

Holliday will command more years/money than Bay. Would all 4 of those guys be enough? That's kind of a double-edged sword. Our top guys aren't valued around the baseball world like they are at Soxtalk or any other White Sox oriented site. And can a team like us afford to give up all that? Even for somebody as good as AGON?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
I know you'd disagree with me, but if the Dodgers picked up most of his salary he wouldn't be that bad of a move. I realize you can't stand Pierre and that stats point him out as pretty worthless and I'd agree with a lot of it, but given the Sox needs they could do a lot worse than giving up nothing for Pierre (if they could get him like that) and pay him maybe 3-4M a season.

He had a very good season last year, but the big thing that kills Juan is that he just doesn't get on base at a high enough clip, nor is he a good defensive player. He's a little bit better, more consistnet version of Pods, and if the Sox get a solid DH that would be enough, but again, I'd think you could make a case that Crisp would again be the better get.

That said, Pierre isn't coming off a serious injury (see Crisp) nor does he have the injury riddled past of a Pods.

But he is coming off 4 awful seasons in the NL -- .329 OBP and .688 OPS, fun -- and put up a .263/.317/.324/.641 over his final ~300 plate appearances last year. I'm not willing to give up a player and pay $6M-$8M over 2 years on a bad baseball player just because he's fast and hits singles.