could be something (most likely not)

chisox2334

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
Oh yeah?? With that line up? Here's your 2010 ALDS breakdown:

Yes, with that lineup. Mediocre offenses win playoff games every year. Such a lineup would certainly not be ideal and I wouldn't be pleased with it but it's not like that offense doesn't have a good amount of upside.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 05:15 PM)
This is what I've been saying all along. 88 wins and first round exit, here we come!

Knowing that most playoff games are low-scoring as it is, I'm not sure how you can automatically assume a first round exit. If healthy, the Sox pitching alone is good enough to take them a good distance in the postseason.

They may not be as good as the Yankees on paper(if they had to play NY in the first round), but they'd be more than a move or two away from being as good as New York anyway. Nobody is as talented as the Yankees, so you can say, "first round exit, here we come!" for every team that may have to face them in the first round. It doesn't just apply to the Sox.

I feel like there should be a greater undertstanding around here that getting to the playoffs is the most important thing to do. Regardless of how they do it. Because everything that happens up until then is entirely irrelevant. Too many "best teams on paper" have an early exit from the playoffs for that phenomenon to be considered insignificant.

If the Sox get there, they have a good chance. Especially if they have strong pitching.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
It'd be a small miracle if that offense made the playoffs.

That is totally inaccurate. In order for the White Sox making the playoffs to be considered a "miracle", you're saying that the division is equivalent to the East? You think the Twins and Tigers/Indians are as good as the Yankees and Red Sox? Hyperbole.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
Oh yeah?? With that line up? Here's your 2010 ALDS breakdown:

Game 1

Yanks 1

Sox 0

WP: Sabathia

LP: Peavy

Headline - PEAVY PITCHES 3 HIT GEM IN LOSING EFFORT

Game 2

Yanks 2

Sox 1

WP: Burnett

LP: Buehrle

Headline - BUEHRLE DOMINANT, ONLY TO BE LET DOWN BY SOX OFFENSE

Game 3

Yanks 1

Sox 0

WP: Petitte

LP: Linebrink

Headline - DANKS FIRES 9 SHUTOUT INNINGS - SOX ELIMINATED IN 10TH.

Game over, series over. The yankees win... thaaaaaa yankees win!

debbie_downer.jpg

Last year the Yankees totally dominated us in those 7 games, They scored 42 runs and we scored 37 (NY: 6 RPG, CHI: 5.28 RPG)

(I don't think i need to preface this with green)

The only team in the AL east that scares me is the Blue Jays, damn them

(This is actually serious)

Edited by Real

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
Knowing that most playoff games are low-scoring as it is, I'm not sure how you can automatically assume a first round exit. If healthy, the Sox pitching alone is good enough to take them a good distance in the postseason.

They may not be as good as the Yankees on paper(if they had to play NY in the first round), but they'd be more than a move or two away from being as good as New York anyway. Nobody is as talented as the Yankees, so you can say, "first round exit, here we come!" for every team that may have to face them in the first round. It doesn't just apply to the Sox.

I feel like there should be a greater undertstanding around here that getting to the playoffs is the most important thing to do. Regardless of how they do it. Because everything that happens up until then is entirely irrelevant. Too many "best teams on paper" have an early exit from the playoffs for that phenomenon to be considered insignificant.

If the Sox get there, they have a good chance. Especially if they have strong pitching.

That is totally inaccurate. In order for the White Sox making the playoffs to be considered a "miracle", you're saying that the division is equivalent to the East? You think the Twins and Tigers/Indians are as good as the Yankees and Red Sox? Hyperbole.

One advantage the Sox have over teams in other divisions is the weakness of the AL Central. If they could roll in the division they would be able to set their playoff rotation, one thing they weren't able to do in 2008 and many overlook. Next year, they are going to take away some of the off days. You aren't going to be able to ge by with a 3 man rotation.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
The key things to consider is the following:

Quentin will hopefully be healthy and if that happens he'll be a hell of a lot more productive

- Beckham will have a full year under his belt

- Rotation will be much better

- Pen should be solid; Pena, Linebrink, and Jenks are better than they've shown and a healthy Putz would be a nice upgrade

- Teahen should be a better hitter than Getz

- Rios has a history of being significantly better than shown

- Ramirez will be much better defensively and in year three much more consistent

Obviously all of the above might not happen, but I expect most of the above will happen and that alone makes the Sox a hell of a lot better of a club.

What makes them worse:

- AJ had a significantly better season than normal last year

- PK also likely will regress some

- The leadoff man will be worse than Pods was

- There is a glaring hole in the middle of the order.

I will have to disagree on Linebrink at this point of his career. All that leads to is a slghtly better team in 2010 but not a scary playoff team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
One advantage the Sox have over teams in other divisions is the weakness of the AL Central. If they could roll in the division they would be able to set their playoff rotation, one thing they weren't able to do in 2008 and many overlook. Next year, they are going to take away some of the off days. You aren't going to be able to ge by with a 3 man rotation.

Except that the sox are part of that weakness. I don't see them rolling with this sad offense

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)

That's why it's good they have 4 they can seriously depend on, and have a gamer in Freddy if they need him out of the pen.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
What makes them worse:

- AJ had a significantly better season than normal last year

- PK also likely will regress some

- The leadoff man will be worse than Pods was

- There is a glaring hole in the middle of the order.

I will have to disagree on Linebrink at this point of his career. All that leads to is a slghtly better team in 2010 but not a scary playoff team.

-AJ had a good year, but it wasn't stellar. What makes you think he can't have another good year? He doesn't have a lot of bad years anyway.

-Konerko might regress some, but I'm not sure it will be as significant as you seem to think.

-How do you know that now?

-If CQ and Rios hit like they're supposed to, there's still a "glaring hole"? Offseason is 2 months from being over.

They don't need a scary playoff team. Again, there are a LOT of scary playoff teams that get bounced early.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
Except that the sox are part of that weakness. I don't see them rolling with this sad offense

This isn't a sad offense (considering it is not yet complete anyway). This is capable of, at least, being a mediocre offense which is all they'll need

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
The deals for Vizquel, Jones, and Putz are not preventing them from making any big moves. If they are unable to make a big move, it isn't because they've signed 3 guys for less than $6 million total.

Well which acquisition makes this "really bad"? Rios? I think it's much too early to say that as he's really only had one bad year. And I think talented ballplayers are allowed to have a bad year here and there. Of course, it's a gamble because of his salary but that doesn't make it a "really bad" acquisition...especially when you consider KW gave up no players to do it.

He's strengthened the bench and it's mid-December.

Not on this board. If you had a good year, next year you will regress to your mean and suck. If you had a bad year there is no way you can play like you did in previous years because you've lost it (even if you're younger than 30) and you suck.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 06:20 PM)
Not on this board. If you had a good year, next year you will regress to your mean and suck. If you had a bad year there is no way you can play like you did in previous years because you've lost it (even if you're younger than 30) and you suck.

Nice. I remember when Thome and Konerko were "done" two years ago.

I guess I just see things differently. I don't always assume the worst case scenario will play out, just as I don't always assume the best case will, either. I just wish some people would stop counting on every one of their players to play to the lowest of their abilities every season while never accounting for the likelihood that someone else will have a better-than-normal year.

Unless we're in the mix for Albert Pujols or Chase Utley, there's no one or even two guys available (not including trades) that's going to DRAMATICALLY improve this offense. Would Matsui make this offense that much better than last year with Thome? Not really. Vlad? Nope. CQ, Ramirez and Rios have to bounce back. It won't matter who we add if those three don't perform better than they did last year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:45 AM)
Unless we're in the mix for Albert Pujols or Chase Utley, there's no one or even two guys available (not including trades) that's going to DRAMATICALLY improve this offense. Would Matsui make this offense that much better than last year with Thome? Not really. Vlad? Nope. CQ, Ramirez and Rios have to bounce back. It won't matter who we add if those three don't perform better than they did last year.

Matsui wouldn't make the offense much better than last year, but as it stands this offense is much worse than that.

I hope the Sox stay away from Vlad.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 08:15 PM)
Matsui wouldn't make the offense much better than last year, but as it stands this offense is much worse than that.

I hope the Sox stay away from Vlad.

Why would you want to stay away from Vlad? He kills RHP.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)
Because we don't have a DH or starting outfielder?

A healthy CQ alone makes this offense better than last year. Not to mention a full year of a hopefully improved Beckham. Rios is not going to hit .200 or whatever it was over a full season. And Teahen should provide an upgrade over Getz. The bench is considerably better. Yeah, I fail to see how this offense is worse than last year.

Matsui gone. I'm starting to think that we'd be LUCKY to get Thome and Pods back.

Maybe we should start the "trade all the veterans for prospects" talk that we hear towards the end of the season when we suck. Yeah that or the "let the kids play!" talk.

Somebody talk me off a ledge and tell me why the Sox offense isn't going to make me wanna shoot my tv next year...

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:13 AM)
Matsui gone. I'm starting to think that we'd be LUCKY to get Thome and Pods back.

Maybe we should start the "trade all the veterans for prospects" talk that we hear towards the end of the season when we suck. Yeah that or the "let the kids play!" talk.

Somebody talk me off a ledge and tell me why the Sox offense isn't going to make me wanna shoot my tv next year...

If we bring back Pods/Thome, then you should be frustrated.