could be something (most likely not)

chisox2334

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 08:13 PM)
Matsui gone. I'm starting to think that we'd be LUCKY to get Thome and Pods back.

Maybe we should start the "trade all the veterans for prospects" talk that we hear towards the end of the season when we suck. Yeah that or the "let the kids play!" talk.

Somebody talk me off a ledge and tell me why the Sox offense isn't going to make me wanna shoot my tv next year...

all i have to say is that its barely december! kw will get it done.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
Cowley is probably making light of Kenny's absolute failure of an offseason so far. Every other contender is doing big things while Kenny is loading up on complimentary players. The Sox are out of money already and there's still no RF or DH, but don't worry because Jenks, Linebrink, and Konerko are all still here sucking up salary.

I'm willing t give Kenny some slack because 2 of his biggest off-season moves were already made during the 2009 season: Jake Peavy and Alex Rios. ;)

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 09:04 PM)
Call me crazy but I have a feeling KW goes balls out and aqcuires Adrian Gonzales. If there is one guy to give up a huge chunk of your farm for- its for a cheap superstar such as A-Gon. It fits KW's mold perfectly. .

ranger said its unlikely :( lol

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 09:19 PM)

Ranger Shmanger. Since when does KW let Cowley know whats going on? He was pissed Cowley leaked the Putz situation- im guessing his next big move will be even more closer to the vest.. Anything is possible Melissa! ;)

Not surprising. It takes two to waltz. The Padres are under no kinda pressure to trade AGON (unlike with Peavy) for anything less than a mega-haul. KW obviously has no problem trading prospects. It could possibly be, and this seems to be a difficult concept for some, that we simply don't have the pieces the Padres want.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
Ranger Shmanger. Since when does KW let Cowley know whats going on? He was pissed Cowley leaked the Putz situation- im guessing his next big move will be even more closer to the vest.. Anything is possible Melissa! ;)

i hope ur right,agon in a sox uniform..wow :)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)
Not surprising. It takes two to waltz. The Padres are under no kinda pressure to trade AGON (unlike with Peavy) for anything less than a mega-haul. KW obviously has no problem trading prospects. It could possibly be, and this seems to be a difficult concept for some, that we simply don't have the pieces the Padres want.

yea, if we simply had a bit of a better pitcher prospect than hudson

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)

They could easily rebuild their franchise around a package of Hudson, Flowers, and Viciedo. However, you maybe right- they could be looking for an even better package. . who knows.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)
I'm willing t give Kenny some slack because 2 of his biggest off-season moves were already made during the 2009 season: Jake Peavy and Alex Rios. ;)

Unfortunately, the Alex Rios move was a bust. He has a .775 career OPS. In 2009 he had a sub .700 OPS. The Sox are paying 10 million a year for a Brian Anderson clone: an awful hitter whose defense is vastly over-rated. Rios contract is why the Sox couldn't get Figgins this off-season. The Alex Rios claim is a disaster.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
Unfortunately, the Alex Rios move was a bust. He has a .775 career OPS. In 2009 he had a sub .700 OPS. The Sox are paying 10 million a year for a Brian Anderson clone: an awful hitter whose defense is vastly over-rated. Rios contract is why the Sox couldn't get Figgins this off-season. The Alex Rios claim is a disaster.

Signed,

A disgruntled Blue Jays fan posing as a White Sox fan.

i know rios played really bad when he got traded to him, but he is a far superior player than BA

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 09:28 PM)
yea, if we simply had a bit of a better pitcher prospect than hudson

I do not remember where I read this, but I could have sworn I read something that the Padres are looking for ready now players. Didn't they get four pitching prospects from us for Peavy? I could see them looking for position players.

Good God almighty. This is the exact same crap that was said about Jose Contreras right after the Loiaza deal was made. Can we give it a season at least before declaring him a bust?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)
Good God almighty. This is the exact same crap that was said about Jose Contreras right after the Loiaza deal was made. Can we give it a season at least before declaring him a bust?

weve actually had a good track record with pitchers though... hitters on the other hand.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 09:56 PM)
weve actually had a good track record with pitchers though... hitters on the other hand.

I think that's a big consideration here. Rios obviously had a couple of very good years in TOR. But he hasn't been that player for 2 full years now. I'm not real optimistic that the Sox are going to help him figure out how to recreate 2007. Coop can't fix him...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)

+1000

Rios doesn't suck. At this point, he had a bad season. He throws down a .600 OPS again next year, and we can say he sucks. At this point, however, it's more likely he has a good season than a bad one. He's a multi-year all-star in his prime. Personally, if he plays top-notch CF and clocks in around his .775 career OPS, then he's just a slightly overpaid star player. Far from a bust (yet).

Same thing with CQ. We know he still has it; he showed in the last month of 2009. This lineup is missing a couple key pieces, but it's a very talented group. We're not the Yankees, we can't just buy all the free agents. We have to put a talented, capable team on the field and hope that most of them perform close to their potential.

As for KW, the guy denies EVERYTHING. We never know what he's going to do. He makes mistakes occasionally, but for the most part he's looking at creative ways to get the tools we need and he's absolutely committed to winning. I have faith in him.

Beckham, CQ, Alexei, Rios are in their prime and we have no reason to believe they won't play well. PK and AJ are reliable veteran bats that are aging but far from out of it. Teahen is, let's be honest, likely better than Getz. KILLER starting pitching staff and a bullpen with maybe a hole or two max. Pretty solid for a mid-market team in a weak division.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
I think that's a big consideration here. Rios obviously had a couple of very good years in TOR. But he hasn't been that player for 2 full years now. I'm not real optimistic that the Sox are going to help him figure out how to recreate 2007. Coop can't fix him...

Two full years??

In 2008, he hit 47 doubles... 5th in MLB.

And his 70 extra-base hits put him in the top 10 in MLB that year.

Not a bad year even if it wasn't as good as 2006-7.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
Two full years??

In 2008, he hit 47 doubles... 5th in MLB.

And his 70 extra-base hits put him in the top 10 in MLB that year.

Not a bad year even if it wasn't as good as 2006-7.

He had a .337 OBP which is pretty wretched for his current salary level. His slugging was nice --it's true that 2008 was much better than than his awful 2009.

I hope he absolutely kicks ass next season, and he is young enough that's it's possible. But I'm worried that there was a reason why he was given away. And I don't see how anyone can be confident that the Sox will turn a hitter around.

The bottom-line is that if acquiring Rios means Andruw Jones and Pods starting at OF/DH because of salary constraints, it was a bad, bad move.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
He had a .337 OBP which is pretty wretched for his current salary level. His slugging was nice --it's true that 2008 was much better than than his awful 2009.

Not every hitter with a .800 OPS will have a .350 type OBP for their career(s). This is what separates certain players for debates good or bad in the world. You can have your OBP freaks, but a .810 OPS career guys like an Ichiro or your .820 OPS guys but sucky OBP career guys like a Russell Branyan. It depends what type of hitter he is. Alex Rios was never an OBP guy for his career, but he is a very good XBH/gap to gap guy (solid OPS if his season goes well) which he, Beckham, Teahan will be the catalyst from which we sourly lacked, as we were last in the bigs in XBH last season so it'll be good to have those guys in scoring position which can also reduce the GIDP for certain guys in the lineup. A.J. was never an OBP guy, but certian guys have certain traits/talents they bring to the table. Sometimes.. it's those certain stats that can be overlooked or there's "stats" that you can never tell about a player.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)

So you two think it is likely? I'm here to tell you that it isn't. It's not completely impossible, but it's also not likely.

It would take some good fortune to make that happen. Let's hope good fortune is coming to the south side. If it does, I'll be the first to throw a party.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 12:19 AM)
So you two think it is likely? I'm here to tell you that it isn't. It's not completely impossible, but it's also not likely.

It would take some good fortune to make that happen. Let's hope good fortune is coming to the south side. If it does, I'll be the first to throw a party.

I'm going to hold you to that...

Party at Ranger's place! :headbang