Best Available Fit Left: Delgado

Marty34

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
I actually like Delgado for refusing to stand for the 7th inning stretch. I think it's borderline brainwashing to have everyone stand up and "honor" our country in a forcibly-obligative manner.

I actually refused to stand up for the Pledge of Alligience all throughout high school and middle school because I just didn't believe in it. I think forcing kids to say the Pledge in schools is similar to various activities kids had to do under Hitler Youth.

People should not think that having a dissenting stance on our country is a bad thing. In fact, having a dissenting and nonconformist stance on our country is more patriotic than having the stance of someone who mindlessly chant "Go USA" and stand for every pledge and "God Bless USA" song like a brainwashed zombie.

I wish more people was like Delgado.

Good stuff.

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
I think Delgado would be a very nice fit for the DH role.

If he's healthy and will agree to a reasonable one- or two-year deal. He's probably a more productive hitter than Thome at this point. But JT has already said that he'd like to come back and will probably be a lot cheaper.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
People should not think that having a dissenting stance on our country is a bad thing. In fact, having a dissenting and nonconformist stance on our country is more patriotic than having the stance of someone who mindlessly chant "Go USA" and stand for every pledge and "God Bless USA" song like a brainwashed zombie.

Nice straw man argument and way to completely miss my point.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
Good stuff.

Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,

As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer.

God Bless America,

Land that I love.

Stand beside her, and guide her

Thru the night with a light from above.

From the mountains, to the prairies,

To the oceans, white with foam

God bless America, My home sweet home.

Now that's good stuff.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
my best fit is one Andruw Jones

For what reason? Jones put up a .782 OPS last year, and has a .696 OPS over the last 3 years combined. Thome put up .865 and .847 OPS numbers the last 2 years. Delgado put up a .781 OPS and a .871 OPS his last 2 full years, and .914 OPS last year in 25 games before going down. Furthermore, our lineup is already RH loaded and could be weak against RHP if we don't have a LH bat to stick in there to break up Quentin/Konerko/Beckham/Rios/Alexei in the RBI section. I could live with a Jones/Thome or Delgado Platoon, but Jones/Kotsay or just Jones is a lot weaker.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 07:36 PM)
For what reason? Jones put up a .782 OPS last year, and has a .696 OPS over the last 3 years combined. Thome put up .865 and .847 OPS numbers the last 2 years. Delgado put up a .781 OPS and a .871 OPS his last 2 full years, and .914 OPS last year in 25 games before going down. Furthermore, our lineup is already RH loaded and could be weak against RHP if we don't have a LH bat to stick in there to break up Quentin/Konerko/Beckham/Rios/Alexei in the RBI section. I could live with a Jones/Thome or Delgado Platoon, but Jones/Kotsay or just Jones is a lot weaker.

Why you ask?? because thats who it'll end up being and im fine with it.

If i was ozzie...

1. Pierre L

2. Rios R

3. TCQ R

4. Kong R

5. Teahen L

6. Beckham R

7. Jones R

8. AJ L

9. Lexi R

orrrrr

Pierre L

Rios R

AJ L

TCQ R

Kong R

Beckham R

Teahan L

Jones R

Lexi R

3 in a row is not that bad, and I kinda like AJ in the 3.

I just find it a bit hypocritical for Delgado to make tens of millions of dollars in this country, probably fairly directly because of a lot of the things he refuses to support about it, and then refusing to stand for God Bless America.

That would be like Al Gore being this country's biggest advocate for reducing our carbon footprint, meanwhile living a life of mass consumption and wastefulness, and collecting royalties from a zinc mine on his property until 2003.

Oh wait...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
Why you ask?? because thats who it'll end up being and im fine with it.

If i was ozzie...

1. Pierre L

2. Rios R

3. TCQ R

4. Kong R

5. Teahen L

6. Beckham R

7. Jones R

8. AJ L

9. Lexi R

orrrrr

Pierre L

Rios R

AJ L

TCQ R

Kong R

Beckham R

Teahan L

Jones R

Lexi R

3 in a row is not that bad, and I kinda like AJ in the 3.

I dislike both of those lineups. You've stuck Beckham so low in the order it will cost him AB's. I want him hitting either 2 or 3. AJ really doesn't belong as a # 3 hitter, he's just not an RBI/power guy like I want in that spot. And it's going to take a step forwards from Teahen for him to be an adequate option for #5. ANd in either case, you have a stretch where 5 of 6 hitters are RH and they're only broken apart by Teahen, that sets up quite well to have a RHP rip through the lineup.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)

Agreed. Jones and Kotsay are bench players at this point in their careers. Whoever ends up in the DH spot for the Sox next year needs a good enough bat/health track record to justify their presence in the lineup.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
I dislike both of those lineups. You've stuck Beckham so low in the order it will cost him AB's. I want him hitting either 2 or 3. AJ really doesn't belong as a # 3 hitter, he's just not an RBI/power guy like I want in that spot. And it's going to take a step forwards from Teahen for him to be an adequate option for #5. ANd in either case, you have a stretch where 5 of 6 hitters are RH and they're only broken apart by Teahen, that sets up quite well to have a RHP rip through the lineup.

I believe Ozzie has said he wants to bat beckham 6th.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
I just find it a bit hypocritical for Delgado to make tens of millions of dollars in this country, probably fairly directly because of a lot of the things he refuses to support about it, and then refusing to stand for God Bless America.

How do you know he's not at home burning all those greenbacks?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 06:36 AM)
I dont remember Ozzie ever saying he wants Beckham batting 6th, thats just stupid

Pretty sure it started with the whole Beckham would lead of (before Pierre acquisition), and Ozzie said he would rather have Beckham lower in the order not to take away his RBI opportunities, where people got 6th I have no idea.