2005 Sox Best World Series Team of the Decade?

palehose23

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 12:43 AM)
Quick trivia question:

In 2005, two White Sox players were in the top 15 in the voting for the AL MVP. Who were they?

Contreras has to be one. I highly doubt Cotts/Polite would be that high. So i guess the 2nd has to be Dye or Konerko?

EDIT: I looked up the answer. Interesting.

Edited by smalls2598

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChisoxfaninOH @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 07:39 AM)
I still regret not actually going to one of the games. I'm from ohio and had to deal with years of the Indians winning the division here, then we make a run, I just got home from Iraq and had the cash, but didn't go. I'll probably regret it for a while.

I also had just gotten back from Iraq and I, fortunately, did get to catch a game because I had just PCSd to Maryland. At that point I knew the Sox were good, and I recall casually mentioning to another Sox fan in the elevator of the parking garage (Sox had beat the Orioles 7-2, I forget who started, Contreras maybe?) "this team is the best I've seen in a while, I think we're taking the Series this year." I said that, and I half-meant it, but I didn't actually think the team was going to stay hot and actually win the World Series, let alone only lose once in the playoffs.

What I do regret, and pisses me off to this day, is that I got sent to my NCO school in Kentucky in mid-October - thanks, you f***ing assholes, for making me have to catch my team's first World Series in almost 50 years through my cellphone's s***ty updates. Thank god for DVD though.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 01:00 AM)
This years Yankees was probably the best team of the decade but at the same time I don't think any team in the last 10 years would have beaten the Sox with the way they pitched in the postseason.

I had to look it up too...but interesting balloting that year:

1) Steroids

2) Steroids

3) Vlad

4) Steroids

5) Steroids

6) Konerko

So according to my math Konerko finished second in MVP balloting that year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)
They have to be the team of the decade. They were in first every single day of the year, plus they tied a record 11-1 in the post season. In other words there was exactly one day all season long where they weren't either in first place, or leading a playoff series. That is the very definition of total dominance.

Not to mention that their regular season stats were very impressive as well (tied for the league-low in ERA, hit 200 HRs, etc.).

Similarly, I'd say that the '98 Yankees and '84 Tigers were tops in their respective decades.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 12:00 AM)
This years Yankees was probably the best team of the decade but at the same time I don't think any team in the last 10 years would have beaten the Sox with the way they pitched in the postseason.

I remember going into the playoffs and thought, no team can beat this pitching in a best of 7. In best of 5 anything can happen. But there was no way anyone was going to beat any of these pitchers more than once.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
Not to mention that their regular season stats were very impressive as well (tied for the league-low in ERA, hit 200 HRs, etc.).

Similarly, I'd say that the '98 Yankees and '84 Tigers were tops in their respective decades.

Ah, the '84 Tigers. Baseball's version of the '85 Bears. Best team ever to only win one title. I watched Jack Morris no-hit the Sox on opening day that year and knew that team was destined for greatness. Morris, Hernandez, Trammel, Whitaker, Parrish, Lemon, Gibson, Evans, etc (and special mention to Rusty Kuntz just because he has the best name ever in baseball). Just a dominant team that still stands in the memories of baseball fans to this day.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
Ah, the '84 Tigers. Baseball's version of the '85 Bears. Best team ever to only win one title. I watched Jack Morris no-hit the Sox on opening day that year and knew that team was destined for greatness. Morris, Hernandez, Trammel, Whitaker, Parrish, Lemon, Gibson, Evans, etc (and special mention to Rusty Kuntz just because he has the best name ever in baseball). Just a dominant team that still stands in the memories of baseball fans to this day.

Started out 35-5, including the Sox having a great series against them. They were amazing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
Even in trying to remove the fan boy in me from the decision, I still see the Sox as the best team this decade, maybe even a few decades. Only team other than than the '27 Yankees to go wire-to-wire, AND lose 1 or fewer games in the postseason?

2005 Sox, without a doubt.

They were not better than the 98 Yankees and it really isn't close. The 98 Yankees are easily the best team in the last 20 years. The 05 Sox were one of the top 2 teams of this decade though and the best team in 05 which is really all that matters.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)
People generally find the 2005 white sox to be the most boring W.S. winner of the decade.

did they say the team was the most boring or the WS itself? I dont think you can call a team with AJ, Everett, and even Rowand boring.

People complained the WS was boring, but I think that was because everyone was ready for Boston to repeat until the Sox wiped the floor with them

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
They were not better than the 98 Yankees and it really isn't close. The 98 Yankees are easily the best team in the last 20 years. The 05 Sox were one of the top 2 teams of this decade though and the best team in 05 which is really all that matters.

Ah yes, the phrase used when obviously, it is close, or people wouldn't be talking about it.

The 98 Yankees team was probably better, but I think people have different ideas of what makes teams better or worse. In any case, not the same decade - I still take the 2005 Sox as the best of the decade. The numbers are pretty clear.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
I dont think you can call a team with AJ, Everett, and even Rowand boring.

People find interesting what the media hypes up. None of these players play for boston or NY, nor nationally followed teams like the cardinals/cubs/dodgers.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 12:20 AM)

Morris no hit the sox it was his 2nd start of the year and i believe game 4 or 5 of that season not opening day

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 01:19 AM)
Started out 35-5, including the Sox having a great series against them. They were amazing.

The sox had a great series against them ? in what way ? during the Tigers 35-5 start they swept the sox both 3 game series so we went 0-6 to them in that first 40 games and we lost to them

3-2

4-0 no hitter

7-3 all in chi

3-2

4-1

9-1 in det

so we were outscored 30 to 9 how did we have a great series against them ? seems we got our butts kicked

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 01:19 AM)

maybe you meant the Red Sox they won 2 out 3 and the only team to win a series from them during that 35-5 start .

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 02:10 AM)
The funny thing about our White Sox Championship team, is that many people outside of Chicago probably do not even recall them winning. I think I read somewhere that they were one of the most "insignificant World Series Champions ever," whatever the hell that means.

Fool.

we'll always be the insignificant minority, when people think of Chicago they think Cubs, plain and simple. Having lived now near 20yrs outside the state, everytime I tell someone where I'm from, they automatically assume I'm a Cub fan......without exception.

playing the Astros didn't help, going against STL that year would have made viewership double, at least....

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 11:14 PM)
we'll always be the insignificant minority, when people think of Chicago they think Cubs, plain and simple. Having lived now near 20yrs outside the state, everytime I tell someone where I'm from, they automatically assume I'm a Cub fan......without exception.

playing the Astros didn't help, going against STL that year would have made viewership double, at least....

I live in the northern suburbs and everyone assumes I am a Cub fan here.

I had an exchange with someone at work last October with a guy who really didn't know me.

Him: Ya think the Cubs can come back? (Down 2-0 to Dodgers in the playoffs)

Me: I hope not.

Him: (shocked) You're not a Cubs fan??

Me: Why would I be?