Revisiting the Quentin Deal

DaTank

Carter or Quentin?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather have Carter or Quentin right now and in the future?

• Quentin
    • Carter

I know it's been discussed here many, many times before, but I just saw some prospect ratings on John Sickels' site. The A's top 20 prospects for 2010 just came out and Chris Carter's #1 on it with a grade of A-. And the A's have a pretty good system. Sickels had this to say on Carter: 1) Chris Carter, 1B-OF, Grade A-: I just absolutely love this bat, enough to override the questions about defense and give him an A-. He added pure hitting skills to go with the power.

Link

Carter wouldn't have looked too bad at 1B/DH for us in 2010, IMO. And given Quentin's injury history and down year, I'd probably re-do this one if I could. Personally, I think this is the one that finally comes back and bites Kenny.

Now I know what a lot of you are going to say. "Carter's still just a prospect, we'll see next year." "Just look at Quentin's 2008 numbers/potential." etc.

So, if you could, would you re-do this one from our team's current outlook? Why or why not?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have read and some A's fans I have talked to, the A's are very concerned that Carter can only hit fastballs. Apparently he struggles a lot with breaking stuff and he'll only see more of that when he makes the jump to the big club.

It will definitely be interesting to follow his progress.

I guess when Carter sees a couple of years in the majors, the trade can be evaluated better then. If he can produce the power numbers he's put up in the minors though, he could end up being a right handed poor man's Ryan Howard. As well as if Quentin can be consistent and not injury prone.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
From what I have read and some A's fans I have talked to, the A's are very concerned that Carter can only hit fastballs. Apparently he struggles a lot with breaking stuff and he'll only see more of that when he makes the jump to the big club.

It will definitely be interesting to follow his progress.

The only decent answer so far! :lol:

Edit: Besides JPN's.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (League @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
So only the differing opinions that don't make you feel bad about yourself for posting this poll are decent?

Differing opinions? You took a personal shot at me for making this poll when a legitimate question is being asked. Carter vs. Quentin is a good argument, IMO.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
Differing opinions? You took a personal shot at me for making this poll when a legitimate question. Carter vs. Quentin is a good argument, IMO.

I don't see a personal shot in my comment at all. I merely stated my opinion, which was vastly different than your own. I cannot imagine why you would want to take a player who has succeeded at AA over a player who was only denied an MVP award because he punched a bat.

Carlos Quentin is very reminiscent of a young Vladimir Guerrero in that he strikes out around the same amount of times as he walks, hits for huge power and still can post an average of around .300. Carter K'd over 150 times in AA and hasn't even sniffed the majors yet. When the kid smacks 36 homers in 130 games in Oakland, then I'll consider it a bad trade.

But, hey, if we're talking about Charlotte winning the AAA pennant next season, then I'm all for it!

Edited by League

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
I guess when Carter sees a couple of years in the majors, the trade can be evaluated better then. If he can produce the power numbers he's put up in the minors though, he could end up being a right handed poor man's Ryan Howard. As well as if Quentin can be consistent and not injury prone.

Because it does make a difference what side of the plate he hits on, a poor man's right handed Ryan Howard is probably a .220-.250 hitter and more likely to be a platoon player than starter.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
Differing opinions? You took a personal shot at me for making this poll when a legitimate question. Carter vs. Quentin is a good argument, IMO.

I do not think it is a good argument at all. Quentin was on his way to an MVP in 2008 before he broke his wrist, and he still has that type of capability. Carter hasn't done anything above AA yet. The Sox are going to be competing next season, and Carter wouldn't do anything for them.

In absolutely every aspect of the trade, Quentin helps the Sox more than Carter would.

QUOTE (League @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)
I don't see a personal shot in my comment at all. I merely stated my opinion, which was vastly different than your own. I cannot imagine why you would want to take a player who has succeeded at AA over a player who was only denied an MVP award because he punched a bat.

Carlos Quentin is very reminiscent of a young Vladimir Guerrero in that he strikes out around the same amount of times as he walks, hits for huge power and still can post an average of around .300. Carter K'd over 150 times in AA and hasn't even sniffed the majors yet. When the kid smacks 36 homers in 130 games in Oakland, then I'll consider it a bad trade.

But, hey, if we're talking about Charlotte winning the AAA pennant next season, then I'm all for it!

"This thread/poll is ridiculous." The way I see it, it means, this thread and poll are ridiculous, as is the poster who posted it.

My points as to why I'd prefer Carter:

- I'm not much of a Quentin believer. I wonder if he'll ever be fully healthy.

- K's aside, look at Carter's power numbers.

- Carter is cheaper and will be for a while.

- He fills some of our current needs.

- Not that it really matters much, but it'd definitely boost our system up right now.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
Because it does make a difference what side of the plate he hits on, a poor man's right handed Ryan Howard is probably a .220-.250 hitter and more likely to be a platoon player than starter.

I do not think it is a good argument at all. Quentin was on his way to an MVP in 2008 before he broke his wrist, and he still has that type of capability. Carter hasn't done anything above AA yet. The Sox are going to be competing next season, and Carter wouldn't do anything for them.

In absolutely every aspect of the trade, Quentin helps the Sox more than Carter would.

I was just saying what Carter's ceiling could be, I'm not saying it was a bad trade. I just said it'll be a few years before it can be looked at.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
"This thread/poll is ridiculous." The way I see it, it means, this thread and poll are ridiculous, as is the poster who posted it.

My points as to why I'd prefer Carter:

- I'm not much of a Quentin believer. I wonder if he'll ever be fully healthy.

- K's aside, look at Carter's power numbers.

- Carter is cheaper and will be for a while.

- He some of our current needs.

I see your Carter's power numbers in the minors and raise you 2 years ago Quentin's numbers in the majors.

Wake me up when Carter actually does something in the majors and not on some mythical grading system. Until they do it at the show, these rankings mean nothing. Quentin actually has shown his ability and god given skill can be turned into production at the majors. He was an MVP candidate until he punched something he shouldn't.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
Or maybe because CQ was a freak injury away from probably winning the AL MVP?

I'll stick with my original answer and say that it's because Carter was a year younger and two/possibly three levels lower.

Also, you think all of Quentin's injuries have been fluky and perhaps he's just not an injury prone guy?

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
I'd love to have Carter back in our system.

But if Quentin stays healthy then trading Carter to get him should go down as one of the all-time great trades for the Sox.

This is exactly what I was thinking since I started this thread.