Interesting Comment By...

JohnCangelosi

Podsednik denied a report that he and agent Ryan Gleichowski had turned off the White Sox by pushing for a two-year contract.

"There was no demand on a two-year deal. Our phone lines were open and ready to communicate for anything. I don't know who started that," he said. "I was open to working on a one-year deal as much as a two-year from the very beginning."

Full article here:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=mlb

Does anyone else find this interesting? I think most people would have been MORE than happy to signing Scotty Pods to the contract that KC signed him to before of course picking up Juan Pierre.

I am thinking now the talk of Pods and his agent demanding a multi-year deal was nonsense and in fact it was a smoke screen the White Sox put out there because they wanted Juan Pierre to begin with. It would make sense as well that perhaps KW had some type of understanding they would get JP in the offseason from LA as a payback for the gratuitous Thome trade and never had any real intentions of resigning Pods, but just gave that impression that they were considering the option since he tends to be a fan favorite.

On the other side, Pods may have over estimated the demand for his services in November and simply lowered them considerably once he realized ST is coming in less than 8 weeks and it was time to get a job.

Thoughts?

No, Im happy Pods is gone, regardless of contract. Throw numbers at me until you are blue in the face, I know what I saw last year. The baserunning blunders, the awful defense, it isnt worth it for a hitter that really disappears every other year.

Sorry Pods fans, but this doesnt bother me a bit

Great, now we have to play Scotty Pods 18 times a season ... and Getz ... and Brian Anderson ... and Fields.

All guys who will want to kick our ass.

Good luck to our pitchers keeping Scotty off base. He had a lot of multi hit games last year.

Royals are loading up on our players.

I fully expect us to trade for DeJesus soon and the Royals to sign Dye or Thome.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 04:30 AM)
Great, now we have to play Scotty Pods 18 times a season ... and Getz ... and Brian Anderson ... and Fields.

Good luck to our pitchers keeping Scotty off base. He had a lot of multi hit games last year.

Greg, surely, surely you jest with this one?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)

I fully expect us to trade for DeJesus soon and the Royals to sign Dye or Thome.

So I am waiting for the bad part of this...

I think what you are saying is our minor league team is now playing in KC.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
Podsednik denied a report that he and agent Ryan Gleichowski had turned off the White Sox by pushing for a two-year contract.

"There was no demand on a two-year deal. Our phone lines were open and ready to communicate for anything. I don't know who started that," he said. "I was open to working on a one-year deal as much as a two-year from the very beginning."

Full article here:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=mlb

Does anyone else find this interesting? I think most people would have been MORE than happy to signing Scotty Pods to the contract that KC signed him to before of course picking up Juan Pierre.

I am thinking now the talk of Pods and his agent demanding a multi-year deal was nonsense and in fact it was a smoke screen the White Sox put out there because they wanted Juan Pierre to begin with. It would make sense as well that perhaps KW had some type of understanding they would get JP in the offseason from LA as a payback for the gratuitous Thome trade and never had any real intentions of resigning Pods, but just gave that impression that they were considering the option since he tends to be a fan favorite.

On the other side, Pods may have over estimated the demand for his services in November and simply lowered them considerably once he realized ST is coming in less than 8 weeks and it was time to get a job.

Thoughts?

The White Sox really didn't want Pods back even at the price he signed for. Fan favorite means squat. He wasn't a fan favorite in 2006 and 2007, and I don't think that would have anything to do with it anyway. As Bobby Knight once said, if you start listening to the fans, you will wind up sitting with them. The Sox probably would have brought him back if he signed something like Andruw Jones, but even $1.75 million is kind of high considering his track record.

If Kenny had Pierre in the pipeline during the Thome deal that is OK with me. If he has to play a little poker with the moves it is all a part of posturing isn't it? I don't think any teams lay it all out for the competition to see from beginning to end. If you think this is misleading the fans I suppose you could look at it this way but it is the way the game is played. You don't think Pods and his agent ever mentioned two years? There is always some truth in these tangled negotiation statements.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
If Kenny had Pierre in the pipeline during the Thome deal that is OK with me. If he has to play a little poker with the moves it is all a part of posturing isn't it? I don't think any teams lay it all out for the competition to see from beginning to end. If you think this is misleading the fans I suppose you could look at it this way but it is the way the game is played. You don't think Pods and his agent ever mentioned two years? There is always some truth in these tangled negotiation statements.

Welcome to Soxtalk! :cheers

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 09:56 AM)
Pods, Getz, Anderson and Fields!!!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOO intimidated!

when you add Betemit to that list, you better be shakin in your boots. Thems guys is mad ats the Sox ands theys gonna gets us

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if 1-2 of them had solid seasons.

ugh, that means we'll trade for them next year.

BUt I highly doubt it, okay, maybe Pods, maybe Getz - but solid by such low standards.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if 1-2 of them had solid seasons.

I wouldnt be surprised either, but it doesnt make me scared of them being on the Royals and sad that we let them go and traded them.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 11:08 AM)
ugh, that means we'll trade for them next year.

BUt I highly doubt it, okay, maybe Pods, maybe Getz - but solid by such low standards.

I think Getz is going to be a legitimately solid player. Good OBP, probably hit closer to .300 than he did this year, steal a good number of bases.

Pods did a good job for the Sox. Why we didn't want him may never really be known except to the management. We went after Piere and gave up some minor league talent for a guy that I guess was expendable in LA because of Manny. There is ahuge cost in dollars to the Sox that we wouldn't have had to absorb with Pods. Offesively it seems Pierre and Pods are about the same. I don't see any obvious difference between them defensively although we have some here that believe Pierre is better. I just don't buy into that. I do know that Pierre is another one of those players that KW has had his eye on for years and now he has him albeit older than his heyday period. I am sometimes confused by what I see from Kenny Williams. At this point what is done is done and all we can do is hope for the best

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
I think Getz is going to be a legitimately solid player. Good OBP, probably hit closer to .300 than he did this year, steal a good number of bases.

I think Getz is more or less maxed out. Maybe he ends up as a career .275 hitter rather than the .261 he hit this year but he doesn't have the skillset of a .300 hitter and I'd be very surprised if he ever hits for power or plays gold glove caliber defense. Getz screams backup infielder to me, and not even a particularly good backup infielder at that.