Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
So you're going to claim that if this product was made by IBM or Google the reviews by PC owners would be just as critical?

Uh, dude. Um. How emphatically can I say "yes"?

I couldn't care less if it was made by Apple or Sony or Dell or HP or Google. If I feel the product does not give enough bang for the buck, then I'll say it.

You thinking it has anything to do with it being an Apple product shows how bloated Apple fanboys' perception of their brand really is...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
But the Zune is crap compared to an iPod. That isn't disputed.

What I am saying is that everytime a decent new product is made by someone else, it is hailed as the next "iP_____ killer."

If Google had manufactured this product, I just think there would be far more praise (yes, people would point out it's shortcomings), but far less vitriol would be spewed.

Let's face it, any time a company is wildly successful such as Apple has been over the course of the past 10 years, there is a portion of society that puts forward a disproportionate quantity and degree of undeserved criticism. I think with each new product Apple unveils, that seems to become more and more apparent.

Everytime a laptop comes out, I don't hear people saying, this is an Imac killer? Why, because Imac gets completely destroyed when it comes to the market share of laptops within the US and World.

When it comes to the iphone they are by far and away the most innovative company out there and the first to really revolutionize things. Everyone else is playing catch-up so clearly it will be referred to as the Iphone killer. Why, because those companies are going after the #1, top dog.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
Uh, dude. Um. How emphatically can I say "yes"?

I couldn't care less if it was made by Apple or Sony or Dell or HP or Google. If I feel the product does not give enough bang for the buck, then I'll say it.

You thinking it has anything to do with it being an Apple product shows how bloated Apple fanboys' perception of their brand really is...

Obviously I can't speak for everyone when I say that, but in general, I think Apple is a very polarizing company. Therefore, we have people that are overly critical as well as those who praise them too much. I admit, I probably fall into the latter category, which is interesting, since 5 years ago, I probably fell into the former category.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
Everytime a laptop comes out, I don't hear people saying, this is an Imac killer? Why, because Imac gets completely destroyed when it comes to the market share of laptops within the US and World.

When it comes to the iphone they are by far and away the most innovative company out there and the first to really revolutionize things. Everyone else is playing catch-up so clearly it will be referred to as the Iphone killer. Why, because those companies are going after the #1, top dog.

A large part of that is because of the OS, and has nothing to do with the actual product.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
Obviously I can't speak for everyone when I say that, but in general, I think Apple is a very polarizing company.

I really don't think that's accurate. People rip the iPhone, but only because of the carrier that Apple has it's exclusivity agreement with...

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
Not a large part. It is because of the OS. The hardware isn't made by Apple.

I think you misinterpreted my statement? Or maybe I am misinterpreting yours...

I'm saying the reason Macbooks have such a limited marketshare is because of the OS, unlike the iPhone or the iPod.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
I really don't think that's accurate. People rip the iPhone, but only because of the carrier that Apple has it's exclusivity agreement with...

I am not an iphone person and I rip the fact that it is on the nations s***tiest network ATT. But as a pure phone, if the price was even for everything I probably wouldn't buy an iphone. My carrier doesn't offer the iphone so I have a blackberry which I love.

And the reason I wouldn't buy an iphone has nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with the fact that I can't stand having only touch as an option. I like buttons for my texting, etc. One day that might change, but as of now, I'm old fashion with my phones.

The Iphone outside of the fact that it has ATT and data plans are expensive through ATT (and Verizon for that matter) compared with the plan I have through Sprint an the non touch is as good of a phone as there possibly could be.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
I think you misinterpreted my statement? Or maybe I am misinterpreting yours...

I'm saying the reason Macbooks have such a limited marketshare is because of the OS, unlike the iPhone or the iPod.

I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the iPhone.

When it comes to the laptop/desktop world, it is kind of the OS. Windows is open to buyers and you can put it on anything, including an Apple machine. OSX, you can't put it on anything but Apple (without a hack). A lot of Windows issues are because of this. Sometimes, but not always, paying a lower price means you're buying s***ty hardware that Windows doesn't agree with. Microsoft doesn't really do anything to combat this. They pretend they do with multiple versions of Windows (Home, Premium, Business, etc.) but that doesn't really do s***.

If Apple were to open their OS to other computer companies to put on their machines, the OS would have the same exact product that people say Windows is "plagued" with. Microsoft makes a shiiiiiiiiiiitload of money doing it this way, but it also puts them in an awkward situation and they have to try and design an OS that works on so many combinations of hardware that it is dizzying. Apple controls everything about their computers, so there are less issues.

I rarely have problems with my Windows machines because I research what is out before I go to the store. I read the reviews. I look at the hardware specs. Then when I go to the store, I know I'm not winging it and buying a piece of s*** that's going to break down in less than a year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)

You don't think Apple is polarizing? Interesting...I can't think of another company off the top of my head whose products have such a crazy range of emotion attached to them.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
I am not an iphone person and I rip the fact that it is on the nations s***tiest network ATT. But as a pure phone, if the price was even for everything I probably wouldn't buy an iphone. My carrier doesn't offer the iphone so I have a blackberry which I love.

And the reason I wouldn't buy an iphone has nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with the fact that I can't stand having only touch as an option. I like buttons for my texting, etc. One day that might change, but as of now, I'm old fashion with my phones.

The Iphone outside of the fact that it has ATT and data plans are expensive through ATT (and Verizon for that matter) compared with the plan I have through Sprint an the non touch is as good of a phone as there possibly could be.

Jason, a lot of how you feel about your network depends on how it works for YOU personally. I had Sprint for years and years and always battled with their customer service reps (who, in my experience, were brutal), and I always struggled to get service in my own house. Granted, I could get service out in the middle of nowhere where no Verizon users could, but not in my own home. I have AT&T now, and I have not had any issues with it. But that probably has everything to do with the fact that AT&T is solid here in Vegas and I get great reception in my place. But who knows, maybe if I lived two blocks over the reception would not be good and I would think AT&T was brutal.

As for the phone, well, the iPhone/Blackberry debate is very similar to Mac/PC.

Just to break things up here....

Last night I followed the Sox game on TV on the couch with my laptop. Had the game thread open, MLB Gameday, tweetdeck, pidgeon IM, and lala streaming music. Can I do all of that with an iPad? I seriously want to know.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
Jason, a lot of how you feel about your network depends on how it works for YOU personally. I had Sprint for years and years and always battled with their customer service reps (who, in my experience, were brutal), and I always struggled to get service in my own house. Granted, I could get service out in the middle of nowhere where no Verizon users could, but not in my own home. I have AT&T now, and I have not had any issues with it. But that probably has everything to do with the fact that AT&T is solid here in Vegas and I get great reception in my place. But who knows, maybe if I lived two blocks over the reception would not be good and I would think AT&T was brutal.

As for the phone, well, the iPhone/Blackberry debate is very similar to Mac/PC.

I'd say a lot of the debates have a direct impact on what your use is for them. From an email perspective, I really like a blackberry. For everything else (aside from the fact that I'm an anti touch person), the Iphone does better, imo.

And you are right on phone networks, I was basing my comments on the annual nationwide surveys that are done which pretty much bashed ATT. ATT has really dropped the boat on there network and focused more on the iphone market than anything else and when Verizon gets the Iphone (and Verizon's network nationwide is the best in the US), ATT is going to take a beat.

Sprint on the other hand, has the 2nd best network in the US and some very interesting technology that could jump them to the top (WIMAX) plus the fact that they are going to be the 1st network to be 4G. Sprint does have the s***tiest phone selection though as they have focused more of there attention to the networks as opposed to negotiating phone deals and for long-term business use that might have been a bad idea because they lost a hell of a lot of customers to ATT/Verizon.

Verizon has the best Android phones and ATT has the iphone. Sprint basically has the blackberry (which isn't unique), and a few android phones (but not the best one..imo).

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
Just to break things up here....

Last night I followed the Sox game on TV on the couch with my laptop. Had the game thread open, tweetdeck, pidgeon IM, and lala streaming music. Can I do all of that with an iPad? I seriously want to know.

You were listening to music while watching the game?

No, you cannot.

You could have music playing via the iPod function while you used one of the other applications. You could check the remaining applications very easily as well, but you could not leave them open.

I'll tell you how I use it...I put the game on tv, I use the iPad to watch my fantasy league, to check my emails, and to post on Soxtalk.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
You were listening to music while watching the game?

No, you cannot.

You could have music playing via the iPod function while you used one of the other applications. You could check the remaining applications very easily as well, but you could not leave them open.

I'll tell you how I use it...I put the game on tv, I use the iPad to watch my fantasy league, to check my emails, and to post on Soxtalk.

Yeah. I downloaded a bunch of new albums and was filtering what was worth putting on my mp3 player.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
Hmm, I think you need to worry less about multi-tasking on your device and more about managing your time better....listening to music instead of the second game of the year....Blasphemy!

Meh. There was very little to listen to last night with our 2 hits. Hawk gets on my nerves rather easily.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
Meh. There was very little to listen to last night with our 2 hits. Hawk gets on my nerves rather easily.

I was just giving you a hard time, friend.

You are correct though, the iPad is certainly limited in what it can do from a multi-tasking perspective.

I thought about this a lot before I made the purchase, even going so far as looking into buying a used Macbook to get the prices more in line. I think if you like to be this active with your multi-tasking, a laptop is definitely the way to go rather than the iPad (at least for the time being).

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
Here is a great news for IPhone and IPad owners.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Apple-iPhone...317043.html?x=0

iPhone/iPod/iPad OS 4 looks pretty sweet. Solid improvement. If iPhone comes to Verizon, it's going to be hard for me to decided between the Nexus One (when it comes to Verizon) and the iPhone.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)
it's not that we insist apples can't get viruses, it's that we don't, and it's nice. I don't give a f*** if it's because people don't care since less people use them, it's still brilliant to have had a laptop for 5 years with absolutely zero problems when my friends with dells have gone through 2 or 3.

I bought a Dell in 2002, and finally bought a new one in 2009. Zero problems here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
I bought a Dell in 2002, and finally bought a new one in 2009. Zero problems here.

My sister has a Dell that she got a year and a half ago. She has already had to send it back to the company to get fixed twice, and she got it fixed from another source a third time.

I don't know a whole lot about computers, but I've used PC's for most of my computer using life and so have most people I know. They get viruses, and slow down to turtle like speeds over time. The few people I know who use macs don't have these problems. Yes they might slow down over time, but not to the rate of the PC's that I have used and seen. I bought a macbook last July and I couldn't be happier with it to this point. Ive had no problems with it, and I don't really have worry about viruses. Unless something changes drastically, I don't see myself going back to a PC.

Instead of buying an iPad I decided to buy Apple stock and make money off all the people that actually do buy them, since I really don't have much use/desire for one. So far so good. I'm not an Apple fan or hater, but they know how to make money. Apple likes to keep everything closed and make everyone do things through them, and to control everything. Google on the other hand is the opposite of Apple, they want everything to be open and free, and to Apple this seems like insanity but it's been working wonders for Google so far. Google is too expensive to invest in for most people, though.

Also, am I the only one that has a Zune and actually likes it?