Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
How much is a flagship-level laptop though? A MacBook starts at double the price of an iPhone. A bargin-bin laptop is comparable in cost to a bargin-bin smartphone.

Macbook pro's are more than twice the cost of an iphone for sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)
Which creates demand. Same reason people pay more for a clearly inferior cell phone, versus a superior PC.

Maybe some of the processing power is superior but portability and convenience weighs in on whether something is a superior or inferior gadget.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
A dvd player is like 20 dollars and is made for much less. People also use and depend on their cell phone alot more than a laptop or personal computer. Thats why the demand is so high.

Sorry. I'm doing a terrible job of making my point.

From a manufacturing cost standpoint, a cell phone can not be that much more expensive to manufacture than a basic lap top yet they sell for hundreds more. All the things you are mentioning are true about why the demand is greater than for a cell phone. How does depending on their cell phones cause the phone to cost more to manufacture? The profit margins on phones is crazy.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 3, 2016 -> 12:42 PM)
Sorry. I'm doing a terrible job of making my point.

From a manufacturing cost standpoint, a cell phone can not be that much more expensive to manufacture than a basic lap top yet they sell for hundreds more. All the things you are mentioning are true about why the demand is greater than for a cell phone. How does depending on their cell phones cause the phone to cost more to manufacture? The profit margins on phones is crazy.

Sure, the margins are pretty high, but they are full with state of the art technology. Want to see a high profit margin? Check out HDMI cables. Its insane

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 3, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
Sure, the margins are pretty high, but they are full with state of the art technology. Want to see a high profit margin? Check out HDMI cables. Its insane

Anything in the "audiophile" market is just bonkers. $250+ for solid copper power cords (what's the wiring in your wall and from the nearby transformer, lol), thousands of dollars for a single interconnect, hundreds of dollars for wooden knobs, etc.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 3, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
Anything in the "audiophile" market is just bonkers. $250+ for solid copper power cords (what's the wiring in your wall and from the nearby transformer, lol), thousands of dollars for a single interconnect, hundreds of dollars for wooden knobs, etc.

I just had a pro help me with hiding all of my components as I couldnt do all the work and the markups on just about every single wire and rack was hilarious. I got a list of what we needed and saved about 90% of the cost.

Computer networking stuff is the same.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 7, 2016 -> 08:48 PM)
Anyone else use roku for hbonow? Buggy as hell and thinking I should just buy something else. Man ps4 really needs to get that app.

I've never had a problem with it.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 7, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)
I've never had a problem with it.

After finishing an episode I can't get another one to play, it just won't do anything. Did some looking online and apparently a lot of people are having the same issue with HBO now.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 7, 2016 -> 09:07 PM)
After finishing an episode I can't get another one to play, it just won't do anything. Did some looking online and apparently a lot of people are having the same issue with HBO now.

Oh. I use HBOGo so no clue if it's same layout or what.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 7, 2016 -> 11:08 PM)
Oh. I use HBOGo so no clue if it's same layout or what.

It should be, I've used both but don't have cable now so have to use HBO now and it's the same thing but wayyyy buggier.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 9, 2016 -> 11:49 PM)
If my ISP has emailed me about illegally downloading tv shows, is there a way to hide from my ISP that I am downloading things?

It's the size of the data transfer.

That much activity is going to bring up a warning by any ISP.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 9, 2016 -> 11:49 PM)
If my ISP has emailed me about illegally downloading tv shows, is there a way to hide from my ISP that I am downloading things?

Get an Amazon fire stick and put Kodi on it, and then load Exodus onto Kodi. You can watch literally anything.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ May 17, 2016 -> 07:55 AM)
Get an Amazon fire stick and put Kodi on it, and then load Exodus onto Kodi. You can watch literally anything.

Its crazy this is the last post in here. I just got a fire stick with kodi on it yesterday and was going to come on here and see if anyone else was familiar with kodi to get some app recommendations. So far Navi-X seems by far the best for movies. Im skeptical that any live sports will stream that well but who knows.

Edited by DrunkBomber

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 17, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
Its crazy this is the last post in here. I just got a fire stick with kodi on it yesterday and was going to come on here and see if anyone else was familiar with kodi to get some app recommendations. So far Navi-X seems by far the best for movies. Im skeptical that any live sports will stream that well but who knows.

I don't remember the name of the sports app but if you've ever streamed a NBA or NFL game off firstrowsports.eu or some similar site, it's basically that. They're so-so, and I haven't been able to figure out how to get HD. I'm probably doing something wrong.

I haven't used Navi-X but I don't really imagine it would be that different for Exodus. All it really does, far as I can tell, is find websites that stream the movie. Only complaint I have so far is they're all with 2.0 codecs but if I cared that much I'd just get the Blu-Ray.

Also I kept having problems watching Creed, where it kept stopping to buffer, but I think that was the site doing that. It's not my internet connection, I have plenty of bandwidth, and no other apps do that.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
I don't remember the name of the sports app but if you've ever streamed a NBA or NFL game off firstrowsports.eu or some similar site, it's basically that. They're so-so, and I haven't been able to figure out how to get HD. I'm probably doing something wrong.

I haven't used Navi-X but I don't really imagine it would be that different for Exodus. All it really does, far as I can tell, is find websites that stream the movie. Only complaint I have so far is they're all with 2.0 codecs but if I cared that much I'd just get the Blu-Ray.

Also I kept having problems watching Creed, where it kept stopping to buffer, but I think that was the site doing that. It's not my internet connection, I have plenty of bandwidth, and no other apps do that.

Ya I like exodus too, it just seems navi-x has waaaaay more of an HD selection. I even saw a good amount of movies that were either still in theaters or just out of theaters that were in HD, werent cams and had no subtitles, not sure how that happened but it was pretty nice. Navi-x almost has a peer 2 peer feel to it. There are just tons of channels made by users who put their movie and tv collections online for others to stream, (most of them post their paypal for donations but its all free, obv) Im not sure if youre familiar with YIFY torrents, but theres a channel on there with pretty much all of that stuff available to stream.

I doubt Ill use it for sports unless its a ppv UFC or boxing if all the sports apps are similar to what you described (which is also what Ive noticed so far)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 17, 2016 -> 07:14 AM)
Gboard is life.

So far it's the only third party keyboard on iOS I actually like and have continued to use. Has a few bugs, but I'm sure they'll work those out relatively quickly now that it's in the hands of the public.