Relationship Advice Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 05:31 PM)
At some point she'll get sick of waiting. Casually ask for her digits and come armed with an idea of a date to possibly set up. Also, bring a box of Magnums just in case.

Great post.

What's the update on this badger situation? You could always take her to a Sox game and have the Sox ruin some other aspect of a fan's life (kidding somewhat). What's the update, Badger? I don't read these threads for my health u know?

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
Bump...

Has anyone ever had the problem when you're working out and losing weight that your SO tries to stop you? Or compliments your not so attractive areas in an attempt to sabotage you?

I understand where you're coming from. When I started dating my girlfriend in March of last year she was aware that I work out basically every day. We moved in together in December and me working out has bothered her ever since. Especially when I record the Sox games and go downstairs to workout. It's not like I take 3 hours to watch the games, instead I take about 45 minutes to an hour, however long I make my workout that day.

But my girlfriend and I are having tons of issues right now unfortunately. It's been a busy 16 months between moving in together and getting her pregnant within 2 months of dating. We have a near 6 month old daughter who I really love and so does she, but the love for each other has seem to become extremely complicated sadly. We annoy each other and get into arguments every day it seems. Plus she absolutely hates sports. Such as this past weekend, her dad was getting remarried and had a wedding rehearsal on Friday. I manage the softball team that I play on Friday nights and I hadn't missed a game since high school because of baseball, but I missed this one because of the wedding rehearsal. We went weeks arguing about me wanting to leave early to play softball and finally I gave in because I feel my relationship is more important than softball even though I hadn't missed a game in this league in 9 years. So 15 minutes before our game time she tells me that I probably didn't need to be there in the first place and if I wanted to go to softball I could, which of course pissed me off.

But with our relationship now, it's just so distant. We both want to be around the baby, but I honestly think that's probably the only reason we're still together. We don't have a lot of things in common and our work schedules aren't parallel with each other and honestly right now I'm happy about that. I'm sure there's someone on this site that's been in my shoes before with this situation. I still love my girlfriend and love my baby more than I've ever loved anything, but my relationship is looking more and more bleak as the weeks go on. I'm starting to feel it's not worth dating her just because we have a baby together and it's very painful to realize that could be the only reason we're still together currently.

We're planning on going to a counselor as a last chance to see if we can work this out. I suppose I'm just tired of the fights, and looking for a place to sleep once every couple weeks for the past few months. Packing my stuff to move out 2 times already too.

Edited by WilliamTell

I understand where you're coming from. When I started dating my girlfriend in March of last year she was aware that I work out basically every day. We moved in together in December and me working out has bothered her ever since. Especially when I record the Sox games and go downstairs to workout. It's not like I take 3 hours to watch the games, instead I take about 45 minutes to an hour, however long I make my workout that day.

But my girlfriend and I are having tons of issues right now unfortunately. It's been a busy 16 months between moving in together and getting her pregnant within 2 months of dating. We have a near 6 month old daughter who I really love and so does she, but the love for each other has seem to become extremely complicated sadly. We annoy each other and get into arguments every day it seems. Plus she absolutely hates sports. Such as this past weekend, her dad was getting remarried and had a wedding rehearsal on Friday. I manage the softball team that I play on Friday nights and I hadn't missed a game since high school because of baseball, but I missed this one because of the wedding rehearsal. We went weeks arguing about me wanting to leave early to play softball and finally I gave in because I feel my relationship is more important than softball even though I hadn't missed a game in this league in 9 years. So 15 minutes before our game time she tells me that I probably didn't need to be there in the first place and if I wanted to go to softball I could, which of course pissed me off.

But with our relationship now, it's just so distant. We both want to be around the baby, but I honestly think that's probably the only reason we're still together. We don't have a lot of things in common and our work schedules aren't parallel with each other and honestly right now I'm happy about that. I'm sure there's someone on this site that's been in my shoes before with this situation. I still love my girlfriend and love my baby more than I've ever loved anything, but my relationship is looking more and more bleak as the weeks go on. I'm starting to feel it's not worth dating her just because we have a baby together and it's very painful to realize that could be the only reason we're still together currently.

We're planning on going to a counselor as a last chance to see if we can work this out. I suppose I'm just tired of the fights, and looking for a place to sleep once every couple weeks for the past few months. Packing my stuff to move out 2 times already too.

I'm sorry, but father-in-law's wedding rehearsal >>>>>> Friday night softball. And honestly, if you both work traditional M-F schedules, I can't believe there haven't been other things in the relationship that shouldn't have taken precedence over Friday night softball.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 06:50 AM)
I'm sorry, but father-in-law's wedding rehearsal >>>>>> Friday night softball. And honestly, if you both work traditional M-F schedules, I can't believe there haven't been other things in the relationship that shouldn't have taken precedence over Friday night softball.

Yeah I agree that's more important than a softball game, just didn't like how she said I didn't need to be there after the rehearsal was going on. And I realize there needs to be sacrifices made.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 08:30 AM)
Yeah I agree that's more important than a softball game, just didn't like how she said I didn't need to be there after the rehearsal was going on. And I realize there needs to be sacrifices made.

I know we all have to make sacrifices for the good of the whole, however, it sounds like your communication is to the point where there is resentment behind every decision made in your lives. Thats a pretty horrible sign. Counseling is a great idea as it may be the only one to reset. IMO at the end of the day your significant other should be the easiest one to talk to and should be the #1 person on your "team."

Good luck, keeping a family together IMO is paramount if the relationship has a chance to work.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 11:56 PM)

Damn dude. Your situation is the epitome of being between a rock and a hard place. It put things in perspective about relationships for me. I just don't have things as tough as probably most. I know being around people excessively will cause both parties to see the worst in each other. I really hope both of you can work it out for your child's sake. I see so many parents stay together when they absolutely want to decapitate each other for the sake of the kids.

My girl simply annoys the s*** out of me with her excessive syrupy-ness, her obsession with animals, and her adolescent speak. Other than that, she's alright.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 08:30 AM)

Let me just say that you seem to not have your priorities straight. You child's grandfather was getting remarried. Your evening belongs to that. Discuss things with her. It's not like she's pissy because you're working out - it's because you're in the basement for an hour in the evening when you have a 6 month old child at home and maybe she wants some time with you while baby is in bed. She just had a child. She can obviously feel the relationship is a bit rocky, too. Think about her needs and then adjust from there.

Watching a Sox game on a DVR and managing a softball team should be the least of your worries.

I'm old-fashioned, maybe. I've been married almost 7 years and absolutely adore my wife and do everything within reason to show her and make sure she knows it. Skipping one softball game, when clearly she's lost every Friday night to softball since you were in high school, isn't a huge loss.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
Let me just say that you seem to not have your priorities straight. You child's grandfather was getting remarried. Your evening belongs to that. Discuss things with her. It's not like she's pissy because you're working out - it's because you're in the basement for an hour in the evening when you have a 6 month old child at home and maybe she wants some time with you while baby is in bed. She just had a child. She can obviously feel the relationship is a bit rocky, too. Think about her needs and then adjust from there.

Watching a Sox game on a DVR and managing a softball team should be the least of your worries.

I'm old-fashioned, maybe. I've been married almost 7 years and absolutely adore my wife and do everything within reason to show her and make sure she knows it. Skipping one softball game, when clearly she's lost every Friday night to softball since you were in high school, isn't a huge loss.

I probably didn't explain myself as well as I should have, but I also think you're right about trying to change priorities. She normally wants "alone time" most nights and I'm totally ok with that. When she has her alone time I take the baby downstairs and work out. The baby likes watching me do P90X and loves watching baseball (probably the green grass but whatever, it makes me happy, haha.) When she wants a bottle, I stop and give her one, when she wants to play, I make sure she's having fun.) So that's where part of my issues come with my girlfriend, she wants her alone time and I let her have it.

In regards to the rehearsal, yeah that's way more important than softball, just didn't like how she told me, "Oh I guess you don't need to be here after all, you can leave for your game if you want to."

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
Damn dude. Your situation is the epitome of being between a rock and a hard place. It put things in perspective about relationships for me. I just don't have things as tough as probably most. I know being around people excessively will cause both parties to see the worst in each other. I really hope both of you can work it out for your child's sake. I see so many parents stay together when they absolutely want to decapitate each other for the sake of the kids.

My girl simply annoys the s*** out of me with her excessive syrupy-ness, her obsession with animals, and her adolescent speak. Other than that, she's alright.

Maybe I am between a rock and a hard place, but I honestly feel lucky having a baby daughter, and I do believe I have a wonderful girlfriend, I just need to do a better job with priorities and I think both of us need to focus on giving positive attention to each other. We focus on the baby and rightfully so.

And Rock, thanks for the input. I definitely want to keep this little family I have going intact and hopefully counseling can help give us a better chance at making this work.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 06:04 PM)
Maybe I am between a rock and a hard place, but I honestly feel lucky having a baby daughter, and I do believe I have a wonderful girlfriend, I just need to do a better job with priorities and I think both of us need to focus on giving positive attention to each other. We focus on the baby and rightfully so.

And Rock, thanks for the input. I definitely want to keep this little family I have going intact and hopefully counseling can help give us a better chance at making this work.

At the end of the day its all about compromise, understanding and honesty. Once any of those things starts to take a hit so does the relationship. Women are horrible at being honest, men are horrible at compromise. If she can tell you honestly when things upset her you'll probably do a better job trying to alleviate those things. Of course you need your time to yourself as well and working out for an hour a day should be pretty reasonable IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 05:25 PM)
At the end of the day its all about compromise, understanding and honesty. Once any of those things starts to take a hit so does the relationship. Women are horrible at being honest, men are horrible at compromise. If she can tell you honestly when things upset her you'll probably do a better job trying to alleviate those things. Of course you need your time to yourself as well and working out for an hour a day should be pretty reasonable IMO.

It doesn't sound to me that she has any problem with him working out. It seems as though their problem is they don't particularly even like each other very much. If that's the case, the rest doesn't matter much.

If it were me, I'd be spending my time trying to figure out how to spare the kid of this disaster somehow.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 07:32 PM)
It doesn't sound to me that she has any problem with him working out. It seems as though their problem is they don't particularly even like each other very much. If that's the case, the rest doesn't matter much.

If it were me, I'd be spending my time trying to figure out how to spare the kid of this disaster somehow.

I do love her and she says she loves me which I believe. Overall we had a great first year, just the last few months have been a little rocky but I'm hoping we can figure it out. I'm not going to call it a disaster yet but we both realize we need to have our baby's interest first overall. If we're going to keep fighting it's not best for the baby to be around that. She wants us to go to counseling so I'm going to give it a chance. I'm sure I'll learn a lot out of it.

One thing she has said a couple times is she thinks we're more like roommates right now instead of boyfriend and girlfriend. Haha I NEED TO BE MORE ROMANTIC!!!!! But at least Bar Rescue has started up again because we both love watching that show haha.

All in all I believe we can work this out. There's not another person I would rather be with.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 03:43 AM)
I do love her and she says she loves me which I believe. Overall we had a great first year, just the last few months have been a little rocky but I'm hoping we can figure it out. I'm not going to call it a disaster yet but we both realize we need to have our baby's interest first overall. If we're going to keep fighting it's not best for the baby to be around that. She wants us to go to counseling so I'm going to give it a chance. I'm sure I'll learn a lot out of it.

One thing she has said a couple times is she thinks we're more like roommates right now instead of boyfriend and girlfriend. Haha I NEED TO BE MORE ROMANTIC!!!!! But at least Bar Rescue has started up again because we both love watching that show haha.

All in all I believe we can work this out. There's not another person I would rather be with.

Your last sentence was the best. If that's true you should tell her that. Also, I think if that's true, you'll be fine (unless she wants out). May I ask what you do for a living?

By the way, I completely understand why you'd be pissed that at the last second she told you you coulda gone to play softball. Seemed like a s***ty thing to say instead of kissing you and thanking you for giving up something very important to you. I know one softball game is nothing, but it's pretty obvious you didn't really want to be at the rehearsal. s***, you coulda come after the softball game. It just seems like a b****y thing for her to say IMO.

Ahh, once again I find myself in this thread for unhappy reasons. Last time it was a b**** named Jazmine who I wanted real bad one summer, she denied, then she wanted me real bad the next summer, I denied. Then, unexpectedly, she moved to New Mexico while I was at school with her *NEW* boyfriend of a couple months. She's a pretty dumb girl. That's what I get for dating a girl 2 years younger than me maybe?

Oh wait.

Now the *NEW* girl for me is named....wait for it.....Jasmine. With an S, not a Z. And she is how old....??.....4 years younger! Here we go again.

This relationship actually started off pretty fast and very well. She works at the place I am interning at this summer. I actually didn't realize she was so young, she looks and acts my age. After I realized I was interested in her, at least superficially, I started staying later at work so we could hang out in the studio for 2 hours a day. We ended up flirting a LOT from across the room, while the show was going on. Constantly looking up at each other for reactions to stuff and smiling uncontrollably. Then at some point she got my number from someone at work, and texted me that she had a friend back out on her for a weekend show she hosts, and asked if I wanted to sit in the studio with her. Her reasoning was because of how funny I am, an obvious flirting comment. The Hawks were playing that night in the Stanley Cup Finals, so naturally I declined and didn't hang w/ her. Maybe this worked to my advantage, because then she started texting me randomly, and especially during the 2-hour show we are both a part of in the afternoon (she does traffic and weather, I help produce). We then began texting I'd say every single day.

Then one weekend while my parents were out of town, I got the balls enough to ask her if she wanted to come over and dive in to Breaking Bad. It's my favorite show, I've mentioned how great it is to her multiple times, it was kind of an inside joke at this point. She agreed. I then invite her to spend the night if she soo choose to. She liked that idea. So on the first ever night we saw each other outside of work, and after knowing each other for maybe 2 weeks, we slept together in my bed. Now, I mean that in the most innocent sense. We SLEPT. No sex, no touching, no kissing, nothing. I didn't want to pull any moves this early, and I didn't want to scare her.

Fast forward 5 days and 2 more "hang outs" later, and we go to a friend's house for a party. She is underage, but we both got pretty drunk. I already locked down a bedroom at my friends house to crash, and she was down for it. After some rather "aggressive" make-out sessions, that including both of us getting handfuls of....each other....we once again slept together. She repeated to me many times, "I really wish we could f*** tonight. I want to so bad, but I don't want our first time to be when I'm wasted. But don't worry, we will have sex soon". I said fine, it wasn't a big deal to me.

That was last Thursday. Flash forward to this week. We go to the Carnival on Wednesday night. We are walking around meeting all of her friends, she is introducing me to them all, some of them are whispering in her ear like "this is the guy?" type stuff, which makes me think she has told her friends obviously. Then, we walk past a carnie that starts yelling stuff to us. She turns around and engages. He asks who I am, she says "This is my boyfriend". So right there, I am taken aback. I didn't realize we were doing that. I didn't know she thought we were dating. Immediately in my head I get nervous that I need to apparently "formally" ask her to date because she clearly thinks we are. This is where I get in to trouble.

So for the entire week I had been planning this adorable idea of going to surprise her at her other work (dessert/deli restaurant), and then leaving a single rose on her windshield that said "HAVE A GREAT DAY!" on the little note. I should have stuck w/ that idea. Instead, because of this "this is my boyfriend" revelation at the Carnival, I decided to switch up the card and instead have it say "Be my girlfriend?" with 2 check boxes that said "YES" or "HELLA YES". It's an inside joke w/ us, and the boxes were obviously a joke to pretend we middle school crushes. After clearing it with multiple female friends of mine, I went ahead w/ the plan on Thursday, yesterday. The plan backfired.

She sent me a text thanking me for the rose, but said she is not sure about the dating part. Said she must have been sending me mixed signals. I explained to her the thing w/ the Carnie and how it shocked me, which is why I changed the card around. She explained she did it only to get the carnie off her back. Makes sense, I just didn't put 2 and 2 together. f***ing idiot. So now I feel like I just got rejected, when I was only doing it because I thought she would be mad if I didn't do it. So she forced a hand I didn't want to play, and now I look like the idiot. f***ing s***.

So the rest of the day at work yesterday when she arrived was awkward, then today at work it was awkward. I mean, we can't even make eye contact, our texting conversations suck, and it has all gone to hell in 48 hours. My parents are currently out of town again, and I had planned for her to stay at least one of these nights, but now it is looking like she won't come at all. All her texts are 1 word answers that end the chat. I have to keep inventing new things to talk about, she'll reply, but they won't take the conversation anywhere. It's f***ing stressful.

Anyway, just wanted to rant. I'm in a s*** mood now, probably won't text her tomorrow unless she texts me first. I can't believe and incredibly sweet gesture that all my female friends loved and gushed over has now f***ed things up for me. I can't figure this one out. How do you go from heavy making out, grabbing each other, non-stop texting and sleeping together, promises of sex, to "I'm not sure right now" about dating.

I'll hang up and listen to your replies.

tl;dr version - I didn't want to ask a girl to be my girlfriend, misread a signal, asked a girl to date out of guilt, got rejected, now I look like the dumb one, relationship is heavy danger.

Joe...sllloooooowwwww doooooowwwwnnnn.

You frightened her and your silly friends should have told you not to do that thing with the card. That was weird.

If I were you I'd ask her to have coffee with you, and assuming she says yes, leave her be until you actually meet up with her. No texts or weird looks. Then when you meet her, just tell her it was all a misunderstanding, you were stupid, and you didn't mean to pressure her. Tell her you still like spending time with her, but you want to slow things down and dial them back a bit. You'd like to know her thoughts on that.

Then regardless of what she says, just leave it be until she slowly starts easing back to where you guys were before the whole party and carnival. If she's really interested, she'll come back...if not, it wasn't going to go anywhere anyways.

How old are the two of you?

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)
Joe...sllloooooowwwww doooooowwwwnnnn.

You frightened her and your silly friends should have told you not to do that thing with the card. That was weird.

If I were you I'd ask her to have coffee with you, and assuming she says yes, leave her be until you actually meet up with her. No texts or weird looks. Then when you meet her, just tell her it was all a misunderstanding, you were stupid, and you didn't mean to pressure her. Tell her you still like spending time with her, but you want to slow things down and dial them back a bit. You'd like to know her thoughts on that.

Then regardless of what she says, just leave it be until she slowly starts easing back to where you guys were before the whole party and carnival. If she's really interested, she'll come back...if not, it wasn't going to go anywhere anyways.

How old are the two of you?

She's 18, will be 19 in September. I just turned 23 a couple weeks ago.

And I get the slowing down thing, like I said, I too am not ready to date this girl either, I just didn't want to disappoint her, so I rushed myself in to it for her benefit. Obviously I f***ed up because I read that situation wrong. I did text her a couple days ago telling her what happened, and how I messed up and I told her I am sorry for misreading in to it. I've been very openly sorry about what happened, and I am 100% ready to be back to normal. She, however, is the one who seems to be still stuck or "freightened" as you put it. Our texting is very far and few between, maybe 10-15 texts a day, and it's because I have to start every conversation. A large part of me wants to just "ignore" her in a way so it doesn't sound like I am being pushy, but the other part of me has overheard her telling someone she loves when guys give her attention, so I don't want her to think I no longer care. It's tough.

And another factoid I should mention is that I go back to college in 3-4 weeks. It's the reason I need to LOCK THIS s*** DOWN before I go away, because once I am 3 hours away, it will be a miracle if I can get her on board then. So I am thinking I really got about 2 weeks here to seal the deal before she will start telling herself "Ah, well he is leaving anyway, it's not worth it". The only good news here is that I graduate in December, so it will only be 4 months away, and my best friend has already told her that he will drive her down for a weekend whenever she wants to see me and party and whatnot.

Chilihead, that is one crazy story.

I think you are already aware of what I'm going to say. This ship has sailed. The card thing was a big big mistake. You hadn't even had sex yet. I can't believe the female friends of yours encouraged you.

Like you said earlier, the fact you rejected her the first night when you wanted to watch the Blackhawks game was a big plus in your corner. You played that perfectly. Of course you weren't 'playing' anything, you wanted to watch the Hawks.

Giving her the card took away the flirtatious stuff, took away everything cause it was way too early.

I loved your long post. It was revealing and I'm sure you are already aware of what I'm saying, that it's over. Even if you talk it out, the magic is gone. Only way you can POSSIBLY get her back is to get her wanting you again. You need another Blackhawk night moment, but I can't for the life of me figure out how you can blow her off when she now thinks you want her as a GF.

Oh well. I'd completely ignore her starting NOW and see if that works. I don't think a meeting for coffee will help at all.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 11:29 PM)
Chilihead, that is one crazy story.

I think you are already aware of what I'm going to say. This ship has sailed. The card thing was a big big mistake. You hadn't even had sex yet. I can't believe the female friends of yours encouraged you.

Like you said earlier, the fact you rejected her the first night when you wanted to watch the Blackhawks game was a big plus in your corner. You played that perfectly. Of course you weren't 'playing' anything, you wanted to watch the Hawks.

Giving her the card took away the flirtatious stuff, took away everything cause it was way too early.

I loved your long post. It was revealing and I'm sure you are already aware of what I'm saying, that it's over. Even if you talk it out, the magic is gone. Only way you can POSSIBLY get her back is to get her wanting you again. You need another Blackhawk night moment, but I can't for the life of me figure out how you can blow her off when she now thinks you want her as a GF.

Oh well. I'd completely ignore her starting NOW and see if that works. I don't think a meeting for coffee will help at all.

So you advocate playing the "hard to get" phase now? It's something I'd definitely do if I have more time, but with 3-4 weeks left at home, I am thinking I need keep showing that I'm interested. I really think this time table is really hurting me more than anything else because I can't afford to slow play this like I normally do. My last "Jazmine" I slowplayed for 2+ years before I had her WILD, texting me dirty things and trying to come home with me after work. Of course I never pulled an adorable move like the rose on her car either, so maybe there is something to that.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 04:05 AM)
So you advocate playing the "hard to get" phase now? It's something I'd definitely do if I have more time, but with 3-4 weeks left at home, I am thinking I need keep showing that I'm interested. I really think this time table is really hurting me more than anything else because I can't afford to slow play this like I normally do. My last "Jazmine" I slowplayed for 2+ years before I had her WILD, texting me dirty things and trying to come home with me after work. Of course I never pulled an adorable move like the rose on her car either, so maybe there is something to that.

Yes I think you have no choice but to ignore her even with time running out. Maybe if you ignore her all the way til the day or two you go back to school, then see if the time is right for a final "date" of some kind. The rose on the car was a killer. I wonder if any of those female friends who condoned that secretly want you.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 12:33 AM)
Yes I think you have no choice but to ignore her even with time running out. Maybe if you ignore her all the way til the day or two you go back to school, then see if the time is right for a final "date" of some kind. The rose on the car was a killer. I wonder if any of those female friends who condoned that secretly want you.

Well avoiding her until then will be nearly impossible, considering we work together 5 days a week. That would be way too obvious and s***ty of me to not even speak to her at work. Texting, however, could be where I "make my point".

And no, I am pretty sure none of those female friends secretly want me. lol. I would absolutely take any of those 3, they are beautiful girls, but no, they genuinely though it was adorable and figured she would be smitten by it. Hell, I thought the same thing, really.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 06:50 AM)
Well avoiding her until then will be nearly impossible, considering we work together 5 days a week. That would be way too obvious and s***ty of me to not even speak to her at work. Texting, however, could be where I "make my point".

And no, I am pretty sure none of those female friends secretly want me. lol. I would absolutely take any of those 3, they are beautiful girls, but no, they genuinely though it was adorable and figured she would be smitten by it. Hell, I thought the same thing, really.

That's what I don't get about women. If it happened to them, they'd be creeped out, but when they hear such a story they get all emotional and think it's a great idea.

You can't go from one extreme to the other, it will make you look like a complete asshole. Be nice, but not overly nice. Don't ask her out or mention what you did for her. Don't go out of your way to be a jerk and don't go out of your way to be nice. Walk that line for a week or two and see how it goes.