Relationship Advice Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
So I'm a plain old groomsman for my buddy's wedding in July. July 4th to be exact. Sigh.

I've never been one before. Do I have to do anything special before hand or am I just walking down the aisle, standing, walking back?

Do I have to get my own tux? I'm clueless.

The best man should take the lead on the bachelor party, any pre-wedding gifts for the groom, etc. If he's a good best man you won't have to deal with any of that. The only extra wedding duty you'll have is to be in pictures.

Tux depends on how the groom wants to do it. Commonly, he will coordinate a rental package through Men's Wearhouse or something so all the groomsmen are wearing the same thing. You'll have to go in and get fitted a few weeks before the wedding. You'll probably have to pay for it and it'll be $125 or so.

Jason Gage showed up at my wedding wearing the SAME EXACT clothes as my groomsmen. It was a beach wedding in Miami so we had the khaki pants and pistachio shirt. It was hilarious when he walked in the dressing room and gave this look like whats everybody looking at? LOL Oh Gage.

For the most part the bride, groom and/or the best man should tell you what to do, were to be, ect...

We had ushers for our wedding to seat the guests. The groomsmen just had to get fitted for tuxes, stand in the front during the ceremony, take a few pictures and participate in a few dances at the reception.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 08:09 AM)
Jason Gage showed up at my wedding wearing the SAME EXACT clothes as my groomsmen. It was a beach wedding in Miami so we had the khaki pants and pistachio shirt. It was hilarious when he walked in the dressing room and gave this look like whats everybody looking at? LOL Oh Gage.

I thought that was awesome. I went with my "Miami" colors for the wedding and it turned out you picked the same color for the groomsmen. I was ready and able to prepare in case Mario got scared of making a speech.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
I thought that was awesome. I went with my "Miami" colors for the wedding and it turned out you picked the same color for the groomsmen. I was ready and able to prepare in case Mario got scared of making a speech.

One of my favorite moments of that day actually. LOL

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
plain old groomsmen have the best deal. Show up, party, take a few pictures, go home.

I like this.

Don't think they're getting married in a church. Seems like a small wedding.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
I like this.

Don't think they're getting married in a church. Seems like a small wedding.

The groom will usually assign the Tuxes for all the groomsmen but you'll have to pay to rent it. But ya being a groomsmen is a good time.

I get to plan the bachelor party for one of my 2 buddies that got engaged over the weekend. This will be fun.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
Yes he does have to bring something...prophylactics.

Well, I doubt the eye candy will be that great. The maid of honor is hot but has bf. 2 other bridesmaids are my buddy's sisters, and the other friend is super dumb and obnoxious.

It would be a surprise to see some attractive girls since I know everyone who will be there.

Well, I doubt the eye candy will be that great. The maid of honor is hot but has bf. 2 other bridesmaids are my buddy's sisters, and the other friend is super dumb and obnoxious.

It would be a surprise to see some attractive girls since I know everyone who will be there.

You will be drunk, have beer goggles, and the obnoxious girl won't be able to talk if something is stuffed in her mouth.

Yep. The tux for the wedding I am a part of in May is costing me around $230

I had a "friend" in college who asked me to be in his wedding. His father was a lawyer, his fiancee's father was a doctor, and they were spending about $25K on the wedding (and this was back in 1993). Tux rental was going to be $120. I was a grad student and told him there was no way I could afford that on top of the cost of traveling to the wedding. He found someone else to be in the wedding who could afford the tux.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 9, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)
I am under the impression I do not have to pay for it. Was told I'd have some party # to take to the place to get measured. Assuming that goes on a bill for whomever is paying.

No, you pay for the tux when you rent it. At least thats always been the case.

I am under the impression I do not have to pay for it. Was told I'd have some party # to take to the place to get measured. Assuming that goes on a bill for whomever is paying.

That probably depends on the couple getting married. I don't know what the "norm" is but I had the guys in my wedding party pay for their own. Although the place I went had a rent 5, get the sixth one free deal. We had 12 guys to rent tuxes for so we ended up getting my best man's and mine for free.

Ha, yea. Formal tux will measure you and hand you the rental bill unless the groom agreed to pay. So you better make sure that impression is fact