Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 04:37 PM)
Yeah and how many college kids are going to want to wake up at 8am on a Saturday?

I can count on one hand the number of times I've been awake for College Gameday in the last 4 years. But I guess when you're at a school like UT, you don't have many early starts to worry about, so I can get up at noon and still tailgait for hours.

I'll tell you one reason why they're doing this - it gives Erin Andrews more airtime and people love EA. Of course, I think she's overrated, but that's another story.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
We tailgate early here. I don't know what the problem is in Columbia. :P

All that tells me is that you go to a bad football school... :P (of course, i can't say much... we're gonna be hurting badly this year)

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
One, night games>day games by a lot. Two, you have a TV when you tailgate outside?

Um, you're literally always within a 100 yards of a TV here. A lot of people have television hookups at their tailgates. Quite a few people set up a dish too. If you're going to play a midafternoon game, you might as well eat lunch and drink beer while watching football. ISU may suck at a lot of things, but we're pretty good at tailgating.

And we're ISU, we're never on in primetime.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)
Um, you're literally always within a 100 yards of a TV here. A lot of people have television hookups at their tailgates. Quite a few people set up a dish too. If you're going to play a midafternoon game, you might as well eat lunch and drink beer while watching football. ISU may suck at a lot of things, but we're pretty good at tailgating.

Yeah, but I wasn't tailgating with an RV and a satellite. I don't care if someone I don't know has that. I was tailgating with my fellow broke college students.

The NCAA isnt messing around anymore.

link

Report: NCAA expected to suspend Tar Heel DL Marvin Austin

The fallout from the NCAA's investigation into the North Carolina football program continues this afternoon with word that one of the central figures in the probe could be on the verge of getting bounced for the all or part of the 2010 season.

As reported by Aaron Wilson of the the National Football Post, Tar Heel defensive lineman Marvin Austin is expected to be suspended by the NCAA for allegedly taking illegal benefits from a a sports agent, or someone connected to a sports agent. At the center of the NCAA's investigation into Austin is how the defensive lineman paid for a trip to South Florida earlier this year, as well as trips to his hometown of Washington D.C.

A source told the website that "the next time we will see Marvin Austin is at the NFL scouting combine (next February)."

Austin is also good friends with South Carolina tight end Weslye Saunders, who's also under investigation by the NCAA over his relationship with unspecified agents. Much like Austin, the NCAA is reportedly questioning the player on how he paid for a trip to Miami earlier this year.

The website writes that "Austin and Saunders have been regularly comparing notes on agents and marketing representatives throughout the recruiting process, including what inducements the various businesses are offering to try to win them over." As a result of the heat being applied by the NCAA, the respective coaches of both players have urged the duo to no longer associate with one another.

Unfortunately for UNC, Austin might not be the only Tar Heel who feels the wrath of a suddenly emboldened NCAA.

Sources have told the website that, in addition to Austin, NCAA investigators interviewed wide receiver Greg Little, safety Deunta Williams, cornerback Kendric Burney and linebackers Bruce Carter and Quan Sturdivant. Those five players plus Austin all made the decision earlier this year to return to Chapel Hill for one more season with the Tar Heels.

Like we wrote yesterday, and based on what we've been told, this investigation has the potential to be even more far-reaching than it already is, with a couple/several schools, a source said, sweating and fretting over their athletes being wrapped up in what is fast becoming a vast quagmire of illegal agent-related shenanigans.

Florida and NCAA officials are investigating a potential rules violation that allegedly occurred last December involving former Gators football standout Maurkice Pouncey, sources said.

Florida is internally investigating what sources described as an allegation that a representative of an agent paid Pouncey $100,000 between the Gators' loss to Alabama in the Southeastern Conference championship game to Alabama and their season-ending Sugar Bowl victory over Cincinnati. Florida apprised the NCAA of the allegation after it became aware of it.

"We were made aware of some information in early June that we reported to law enforcement and we then shared with the NCAA and the SEC," athletic director Jeremy Foley said in a statement released Monday morning to ESPN.com. "At this time we have no information that has indicated that there are any compliance issues for the University of Florida."

Link

Wow that's an absolute disaster for UNC if Austin is suspended. If any or all of the other guys mentioned there are suspended, just make it that much worse. And if a couple to several others schools are involved, get your popcorn ready. I guess a South Carolina guy might be involved in the UNC stuff too, oddly enough.

Florida can kiss any statistical reference or credit for the Sugar Bowl goodbye if the Pouncey thing is true too, and you'd think 100 grand will get even more punishment than that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 12:30 AM)
Wow that's an absolute disaster for UNC if Austin is suspended. If any or all of the other guys mentioned there are suspended, just make it that much worse. And if a couple to several others schools are involved, get your popcorn ready. I guess a South Carolina guy might be involved in the UNC stuff too, oddly enough.

Florida can kiss any statistical reference or credit for the Sugar Bowl goodbye if the Pouncey thing is true too, and you'd think 100 grand will get even more punishment than that.

UNC is loaded everywhere but safety at the moment. Losing Deunta Williams would hurt much worse. However, I'm feeling much better that the punishment is going to be minimal for all but one player(Austin). These agents are getting more and more absurd. They should be banned from talking to players until they graduate or declare for the draft.

Yep, and they basically are now going to pretend Reggie Bush and OJ Mayo never existed apparently. This turn of events was inevitable, but it's still a shock to the system seeing it actually happen IMO.

Also, Pat Haden is replacing Mike Garrett as the AD at USC. I've always found it crazy a USC guy like that announced Notre Dame games, so I guess this job makes more sense for him.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (THEWOOD @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 05:01 AM)
Sorry Rock, Miami is not a better school than Ohio State.

OSU--53

Miami--77

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews....rankings/page+4

OSU has many great programs and specialty schools that Miami doesnt have, but Miami is a better liberal arts education than OSU. Which is why it was and is much harder to get into for an undergrad.

My family is almost 50/50 OSU and Miami I know both schools extremely well and I love them both.

Since this is always a debate in Ohio that never ends, would you consider hotter girls at MU as the reason?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (THEWOOD @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 05:01 AM)
Sorry Rock, Miami is not a better school than Ohio State.

OSU--53

Miami--77

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews....rankings/page+4

I wouldnt use US News for the rankings, its all about the money in that.

Problem is, there really isnt any good ranking system that I have found.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
I wouldnt use US News for the rankings, its all about the money in that.

Problem is, there really isnt any good ranking system that I have found.

Thats because there really isnt one. I feel like every source, magazine and book has been brought out at one time or another at a family xmas to argue. When I went there and now, Miami was more selective for me at least, not sure about other schools like pre-med etc. OSU has a ridiculous grad program though, there is so much money up there.

Bryce Brown leaves Tennessee via text message.

link

What a slimeball move. Be a man and let them know in person. I know when I was his age I would probably want to take the easiest road out too but my dad would have been all over my ass if I tried to pull that s***.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)
Bryce Brown leaves Tennessee via text message.

link

What a slimeball move. Be a man and let them know in person. I know when I was his age I would probably want to take the easiest road out too but my dad would have been all over my ass if I tried to pull that s***.

Yeah, pretty bad way to leave for his sake... I really couldn't have cared less about him leaving though. At this point, it was getting ridiculous. He was the Brett Favre of the SEC. Will he play or won't he?

Rock, I could careless who is ranked higher. You and I both have been out of school for quite a bit, no one is asking me about where OSU ranks. I was just busting your balls, I have not posted on this site in about 3 years!

On another note, and yes I know this is the wrong place, are your tickets for Saturday still available?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 09:27 PM)
I'd bet Bryce Brown ends up at Kansas State.

I think it's really his only option. His brother just transferred there and his dad apparently really wants him close to home. Doubt he'll go anywhere else. Furthermore, he'll probably have to pay his own way next year b/c I doubt Dooley will release him from his scholarship after the shenanigans he pulled.

QUOTE (THEWOOD @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 06:14 PM)
Rock, I could careless who is ranked higher. You and I both have been out of school for quite a bit, no one is asking me about where OSU ranks. I was just busting your balls, I have not posted on this site in about 3 years!

On another note, and yes I know this is the wrong place, are your tickets for Saturday still available?

Yes, PM me.