Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 10, 2010 -> 01:32 AM)
NIU scored 65 points tonight to beat our rivals Toledo and basically clinch the MAC West. I'm sure most don't care, but I had a great time at the game!

As for the big story though, the Cam Newton stuff just seems like a lot of he said/she said right now. I know that where there is smoke, there is fire, particularly when it comes to improprieties in big time college recruiting. But I need more evidence in front of me before I call Newton cheating scum.

I was at the NIU game last night too. Great win, can't believe it was that much of a blowout. Should they beat Temple in the MAC title game, hopefully they get to go to Detroit and get a shot at a Big 10 team.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
Theres a report out of Dallas that Newton is about to be suspended by the NCAA.

The NCAA doesn't suspend athletes, it rules them ineligible. The school would have to suspend him if they felt there was enough that they needed to do so to protect themselves. Vegas took the game off the books. A few hours later, Auburn states there is no suspension and Newton will play.

There is crap flying at a pace I don't remember seeing.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 10, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
The NCAA doesn't suspend athletes, it rules them ineligible. The school would have to suspend him if they felt there was enough that they needed to do so to protect themselves. Vegas took the game off the books. A few hours later, Auburn states there is no suspension and Newton will play.

There is crap flying at a pace I don't remember seeing.

Its crazy, I've seen on 3 seperate boards that the NCAA has been looking in to this for almost a year? Could that be accurate?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Its crazy, I've seen on 3 seperate boards that the NCAA has been looking in to this for almost a year? Could that be accurate?

Since this past August, I believe. That's what makes me so suspicious of all of this. MSU reported their claim to the SEC office. Auburn was notified by the SEC since they were recruiting him. The NCAA was notified by the SEC. Yet, none of this comes out until now, when he is a Heisman front-runner, MSU is improved but people are asking what if they had Cam Newton and Florida's Tebow replacement is struggling. It also happens that MSU is coached by Dan Mullen, a former Florida assistant.

I'm not one to jump on conspiracy theories or stick my head in the sand and ignore them, but this is just nuts. The timing of all of it reeks of a smear campaign. Yet, it could have happened. If it did, its possible Newton didn't know about it (or maybe he did). I don't think I can recall anything that has caught fire like this.

My question is, if Newton turned out to be an average QB and Auburn was 6-3 right now, would we be discussing any of it? I highly doubt it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
Theres a report out of Dallas that Newton is about to be suspended by the NCAA.

The game has been yanked off betting boards. So there must be something brewing to the point these boomakers want to wait and see what happens to Newton.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)
anyone going to the NU-IL game at Wrigley?

Wonder why they decided to go West-East instead of North-South like they used to with the Bears.

Just pulled the trigger on two tix, was able to get them face. They are the most expensive ones, but are actually on the 30 yard line along the sideline so they should be worth it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
The football field actually fits pretty well at Yankee Stadium for ND/Army. I wonder if they took out any seats near home or in CF. Although this way there arent as many good 50-yard line seats as there are at Wrigley.

Link

My dad used to go to all the Bears games when they played at Wrigley. It was configured a little differently than it will be for NU/ILL, and only had 7 yard endzones. He said it was a great place to watch a game.

Game setting up for Michigan to lose at the last second. Probably Wolverines last chance to win a game this year.

Purdue totally stacking the box. Michigan could run a slant if they wanted all day.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
f***ing pathetic joke of a team. f***ing f*** are you s***ting me. God f***ing damn it.

f*** off.

Ron Zook is in the top 5 worst coaches in America. Guy is beyond clueless. And two straight weeks your offense is dominating and your defense sucks and you have 4th and 1s that can seal the game and both times you punt? GTFO and grow some balls, put the game in the hands of your unit that is playing well. Also, not using your timeouts once Minny was inside the 5 was inexcusable. You have to give your offense time in that situation.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
That's not quite accurate this week. We punted, and we held them, it worked, and it wouldn't have sealed the game with a 1st down anyway. We got the ball back anyway at basically the same spot and didn't do s*** with it.

Defense blew.

True, and on that next possession they had 1st and 6 and Petrino did a terrible job with his play calls.

How did Wisconsin run up the score?

They ran the ball for 337 yards, they scored on a bootleg with their 4th string QB not even being touched.

There was one play where Budmayr (back up qb) threw a deep ball for a TD on a third down play with over 7 minutes left to go. The previous TD was on an interception return.

Should they have kneeled the ball the entire game?

And against Minnesota they went for 2 in a situation where they probably didnt need to, Im not sure thats running up the score.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
f***ing pathetic joke of a team. f***ing f*** are you s***ting me. God f***ing damn it.

f*** off.

If it makes you feel any better, I feel the same way. What the f***, how the hell does NU always beat us. Son of a b****.

Notre Dame beating Utah pretty negatively impacts my thoughts of other non BCS conference schools. Great win for ND though.

I still believe in Kelly. Now I just have to hope the Bears surprise me since Iowa just broke my heart this season. Very rarely as a Hawkeye fan do I ever get to have top 5 in the country expectations and well, those expectations are now officially gone.