Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
How did Wisconsin run up the score?

Should they have kneeled the ball the entire game?

And against Minnesota they went for 2 in a situation where they probably didnt need to, Im not sure thats running up the score.

Not the entire game, just the entire 2nd half.

The Minny deal wasn't running up the score, just tacky and stupid.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
That's not quite accurate this week. We punted, and we held them, it worked, and it wouldn't have sealed the game with a 1st down anyway. We got the ball back anyway at basically the same spot and didn't do s*** with it.

Defense blew.

yeah, with a 1st and 6.

I haven't been this hurt by a football game since the bears superbowl, blah.

QUOTE (SnB @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 06:51 PM)
yeah, with a 1st and 6.

I haven't been this hurt by a football game since the bears superbowl, blah.

In no way am I trying to rub things in or be disingenuous but Illinois losing to Minnesota this week should not have been a surprise. There is no way there would not be some kind of hangover effect after the loss to Michigan last week. Whichever team lost that game was going to have a tough time bouncing back. Not only the 3 OT's but the pure emotional disappointment of losing a game like that. If Michigan had lost I would have fully expected them to lose to Purdue this week.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
How did Wisconsin run up the score?

Please. Passing on first down with that kind of lead is the very definition of running up the score.

Here's just the 3rd Qtr, starting at Wis 45 - Ind 10.

Wisconsin at 11:28 IND WIS

1st and 10 at IND 41 James White rush for 3 yards to the Ind 38. 10 45

2nd and 7 at IND 38 Scott Tolzien pass complete to Lance Kendricks for 19 yards to the Ind 19 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at IND 19 Scott Tolzien pass complete to Bradie Ewing for 17 yards to the Ind 2 for a 1ST down.

1st and Goal at IND 2 James White rush for 2 yards for a TOUCHDOWN. 10 51

Philip Welch extra point GOOD. 10 52

Philip Welch kickoff for 67 yards returned by Tandon Doss for 24 yards to the Ind 27.

DRIVE TOTALS: WISCONSIN drive: 4 plays 41 yards, 01:49 WISCONSIN TD

Indiana at 9:39 IND WIS

1st and 10 at IND 27 Nick Turner rush for 14 yards, fumbled, recovered by Ind Justin Pagan at the Ind 41 for a 1ST down. 10 52

1st and 10 at IND 41 Zach Davis-Walker rush for 18 yards to the Wisc 41 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at WIS 41 Dusty Kiel pass incomplete to Duwyce Wilson.

2nd and 10 at WIS 41 Zach Davis-Walker rush for 2 yards to the Wisc 39.

3rd and 8 at WIS 39 Dusty Kiel pass complete to Terrance Turner for 22 yards to the Wisc 17 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at WIS 17 Nick Turner rush for 2 yards to the Wisc 15.

2nd and 8 at WIS 15 Dusty Kiel pass incomplete to Damarlo Belcher.

3rd and 8 at WIS 15 Dusty Kiel pass incomplete to Tandon Doss.

4th and 8 at WIS 15 Mitch Ewald 33 yard field goal GOOD. 13 52

Nick Freeland kickoff for 67 yards returned by David Gilreath for 35 yards to the Wisc 38.

DRIVE TOTALS: INDIANA drive: 9 plays 58 yards, 03:02 INDIANA FG

Wisconsin at 6:37 IND WIS

1st and 10 at WIS 38 Scott Tolzien pass complete to Bradie Ewing for 9 yards to the Wisc 47. 13 52 2nd and 1 at WIS 47 James White rush for 8 yards to the Ind 45 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at IND 45 James White rush for 9 yards to the Ind 36.

2nd and 1 at IND 36 Scott Tolzien pass complete to Jake Byrne for 16 yards to the Ind 20 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at IND 20 Scott Tolzien pass complete to David Gilreath for 13 yards to the Ind 7 for a 1ST down.

1st and Goal at IND 7 James White rush for 4 yards to the Ind 3.

2nd and Goal at IND 3 James White rush for 2 yards to the Ind 1.

3rd and Goal at IND 1 WISCONSIN penalty 10 yard Holding on Ricky Wagner accepted.

3rd and Goal at IND 11 Scott Tolzien pass complete to Lance Kendricks for 11 yards for a TOUCHDOWN. 13 58 Philip Welch extra point GOOD. 13 59

Philip Welch kickoff for 64 yards returned by Nick Turner for 11 yards to the Ind 17.

DRIVE TOTALS: WISCONSIN drive: 8 plays 62 yards, 04:30 WISCONSIN TD

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
Congrats on Utah for being the most overranked team in the history of the BCS.

Getting rolled by Notre Dame as we speak.

They probably just weren't up for the game since they lost their national title hopes last week.

What?

Wisconsin was still trying to score when there was a FULL HALF to be played and you are saying thats running up the score?

Im sorry but you dont shut down your team with 30 minutes of game to be played, that is ridiculous.

Not only that, but if they were running up the score the final drive you posted wouldnt have taken 4:30 minutes on 8 plays. That is an average of half a minute per play, meaning that they were letting the clock run down every single time and keeping the clock moving.

I can see if Wisconsin was airing it out in the fourth quarter under 10 minutes, but come on, there was a full half.

Edited by Soxbadger

Utah looked so bad yesterday, it wasn't even funny. If you didn't know better, you'd think someone had paid them off to lose the game by a lot. Double digit penalties by the half, literally not even trying to block players, etc. Their QB is also the biggest wimp I've seen on the football field this season.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
Congrats, Capn

Woohoo, its been a LONG time coming. And, call me crazy, but this team is able to beat Auburn. That would be a bigtime BCS buster. Had the lead 27-21 AT Auburn, then turned the ball over 4 times in the 4th quarter. Lets see how it goes at a neutral site this time!

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
Woohoo, its been a LONG time coming. And, call me crazy, but this team is able to beat Auburn. That would be a bigtime BCS buster. Had the lead 27-21 AT Auburn, then turned the ball over 4 times in the 4th quarter. Lets see how it goes at a neutral site this time!

I was pulling for you guys since I f***ing hate Florida. Congrats. Enjoy it while you can, though. The East is down big time, but won't be for long.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)

:headbang :headbang :headbang

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)

You could definitely beat Auburn in Atlanta, you're a bad matchup for them IMO. Auburn got a bad break with you winning Saturday because I think they'd have laid waste to Florida. I like Auburn to lose the Iron Bowl anyways, however I also think if they lose that and then beat you, they'll finish ahead of both undefeated Boise State (who is clearly going to finish as the top Non AQ now if they take care of business) and TCU. Interesting fact for a team like Boise State: they need LSU to lose at Arkansas. Auburn realistically can't drop below LSU since they beat them, but that's not a factor if LSU has a second loss.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
I was pulling for you guys since I f***ing hate Florida. Congrats. Enjoy it while you can, though. The East is down big time, but won't be for long.

The East will be crazy strong soon, but IMO that includes us as well. We don't lose any skill players after this year, and honestly, 2 of the 3 losses this year were games we had big leads in (28-10 over Kentucky at the half, 20-7 over Auburn at the half and 27-21 in the 4th quarter). Arkansas is the only team that drug us through the mud, and that was just a bad matchup for us all around.

Illinois -7 @ Northwestern. WTF? I know they have a freshman QB making his first QB start, but really???

I didn't see this earlier, but one of the field goal posts is attached to the wall/bleachers at Wrigley. Someone is gonna get hurt in that end zone too, crashing into the ivy.

Edited by LittleHurt05

Only chance IMO of South Carolina winning is if they jump out early and make Auburn play from behind. Controlling the clock and having Garcia play well. But it seems like every time Garcia plays well, the next game he doesnt.

A big thing in South Carolina's favor is that Auburn is playing Alabama the week before. The Super Bowl for that state. You know emotions will be high all week and you know this game is going to be a slugfest for 60 minutes.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
What?

Wisconsin was still trying to score when there was a FULL HALF to be played and you are saying thats running up the score?

Im sorry but you dont shut down your team with 30 minutes of game to be played, that is ridiculous.

Not only that, but if they were running up the score the final drive you posted wouldnt have taken 4:30 minutes on 8 plays. That is an average of half a minute per play, meaning that they were letting the clock run down every single time and keeping the clock moving.

I can see if Wisconsin was airing it out in the fourth quarter under 10 minutes, but come on, there was a full half.

C'mon. There's a big difference between "taking a knee", "not trying to score," "shutting down your team" and passing on first down with that huge lead and the other teams' star quarteback out of the game.

They way they were running the ball, they could both scored and advanced the clock. With Chappel out, the game was over.

I can't imagine that a Barry Alvarez coached team would call first-down passes in that situation. He is far too classy for that. And I'm sorry, but I just can't give BB the benefit of the doubt after what he recently did to Minnesota. Sure looks like a developing patten to me.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
Illinois -7 @ Northwestern. WTF? I know they have a freshman QB making his first QB start, but really???

I didn't see this earlier, but one of the field goal posts is attached to the wall/bleachers at Wrigley. Someone is gonna get hurt in that end zone too, crashing into the ivy.

Thats padding, not ivy.. still could get hurt anyways but thats not the actual ivy wall

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
Gameday is coming to (your city) Wrigley for ILL/NW.

Awesome.

Sounds like they will be setting up in the Mickey D's parking lot. I think it would have been awesome if they been up on a rooftop, but its kinda hard to get the background fans up there.