Beckham Contract

flavum

In protest to all of this Adrian Gonzalez talk, I want to talk about Gordon Beckham as a long-term White Sox player. I was taking a look at Evan Longoria's contract, and truthfully, I would offer Beckham the same thing. This is Longoria's:

2008 0.5

2009 0.55

2010 0.95

2011 2.0

2012 4.5

2013 6.0

2014 7.5 opt

2015 11.5 opt

2016 11.5 opt

9 yrs/45 mil

Locked up until he's 31 yrs old.

This looks like a contract that Longoria will regret signing someday, but if Beckham would sign, I'd do it today.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
In protest to all of this Adrian Gonzalez talk, I want to talk about Gordon Beckham as a long-term White Sox player. I was taking a look at Evan Longoria's contract, and truthfully, I would offer Beckham the same thing. This is Longoria's:

2008 0.5

2009 0.55

2010 0.95

2011 2.0

2012 4.5

2013 6.0

2014 7.5 opt

2015 11.5 opt

2016 11.5 opt

9 yrs/45 mil

This looks like a contract that Longoria will regret signing someday, but if Beckham would sign, I'd do it today.

Those are team options, right? Longoria is going to be getting butt-f***ed for quite a while.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
Those are team options, right? Longoria is going to be getting butt-f***ed for quite a while.

But...if he came up and tore up a knee his first season, he'd still have guaranteed himself $15 million.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)

2008 0.5

2009 0.55

2010 0.95

2011 2.0

2012 4.5

2013 6.0

2014 7.5 opt

2015 11.5 opt

2016 11.5 opt

9 yrs/45 mil

Lol, it's kind of funny how some people might "regret" signing a 45 million contract. Unless Longoria is living like a balla, 45 million ought to last him for the rest of his life.

I don't see Gordon signing anything like that now. He almost won ROY (won 2/3) and is already a star in Chicago. He'll beast it this year and then we'll have to offer him something serious over the offseason if we expect him to listen. But yeah, $12.5M guaranteed over his 3 arb years is pretty weak, especially when you throw in a $7.5M team option for his first FA year.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
Lol, it's kind of funny how some people might "regret" signing a 45 million contract. Unless Longoria is living like a balla, 45 million ought to last him for the rest of his life.

Well yeah, not saying Longoria will be poor anytime soon. But relative to other top players in the game, he's going to be pretty underpaid for a while. He might be a top 10 player in baseball right now. There's nothing to suggest he won't get better and stay at an elite level through age 31 (outside of injury, which can't be forseen).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:29 PM)
Well yeah, not saying Longoria will be poor anytime soon. But relative to other top players in the game, he's going to be pretty underpaid for a while. He might be a top 10 player in baseball right now. There's nothing to suggest he won't get better and stay at an elite level through age 31 (outside of injury, which can't be forseen).

Yeah at the time I dont blame him 1 bit for that contract, guaranteed himself 15 million no matter what happened in the future and he will still be young enough to get a good sized contract at the end of that deal as well.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)

I actually think all other MLB players of similar skill to Longoria are overpaid. I kinda hope contracts like Longoria's will start a trend of moderate contracts, but then again people like Boras and the Yankees will always screw it up and overpay players. I really wish the MLB had a salary cap.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)

If he had gone year to year rather than signing long term he could have made twice that.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
I actually think all other MLB players of similar skill to Longoria are overpaid. I kinda hope contracts like Longoria's will start a trend of moderate contracts, but then again people like Boras and the Yankees will always screw it up and overpay players. I really wish the MLB had a salary cap.

What do you have against the players getting their fair share of the revenue they generate? It's not like the alternative is money going to charity, it's money staying in the pockets of multi-millionaires.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
At the time, I thought the Longoria contract was INSANELY stupid. I was so wrong.

I thought it was brilliant at the time, and said so. This clearly makes me smarter than you on any topic forever.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)
When was the last time Kenny signed a young star to a massive contract? Wasn't Konerko's 5 year deal the longest contract he had ever offered?

As far as young players under 25 that would get a real long contract, Kenny Williams really hasn't had that opportunity with position players. Ordonez was under Schueler for the first 4 years. Carlos Lee could have been that guy, but he wasn't. Then it's been pile of suck with the likes of Borchard, Fields, and Anderson.

Beckham is a special case, and since players like Longoria and Braun are getting locked up early, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the same treatment after this season.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
As far as young players under 25 that would get a real long contract, Kenny Williams really hasn't had that opportunity with position players. Ordonez was under Schueler for the first 4 years. Carlos Lee could have been that guy, but he wasn't. Then it's been pile of suck with the likes of Borchard, Fields, and Anderson.

Beckham is a special case, and since players like Longoria and Braun are getting locked up early, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the same treatment after this season.

He has tried with Quentin, Danks, and Floyd. Floyd was the only one that bit. Can't blame a guy for turning that down, but I also couldn't blame him for taking it either. It's a risk either way, for everybody involved.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
He has tried with Quentin, Danks, and Floyd. Floyd was the only one that bit. Can't blame a guy for turning that down, but I also couldn't blame him for taking it either. It's a risk either way, for everybody involved.

But those were all 3 years deals, correct? I would love for Kenny to offer Beckham a 7-9 year deal, but I am not sure if Kenny is the type of person who offers long contracts.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)
But those were all 3 years deals, correct? I would love for Kenny to offer Beckham a 7-9 year deal, but I am not sure if Kenny is the type of person who offers long contracts.

4 years + a team option

This is Kenny's first go 'round with a player like this. No other player he's had during his tenure compares to Beckham.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 06:56 PM)
4 years + a team option

This is Kenny's first go 'round with a player like this. No other player he's had during his tenure compares to Beckham.

I know JR's philosphy generally speaking is it's not so much as the $ in bad contracts as much as the YEARS. I've heard him say this many times about bad contracts they signed. Although with how bright Beckhams future looks you wonder if they'll make an exception this time around. Seems like the type of guy you want to build your team around for the next 10 years.