Films Thread

knightni

I watched a really interesting documentary last night, Beyond Hatred. It's about the reaction of the family of a gay man who was murdered by neo-fascist skinheads. There are a couple of things that were really interesting and unique about the way the film was done:

1.) There was never a picture of the victim or a re-enactment of the crime or anything that was graphic or sensationalized. Essentially the entire film is based around his family, his family's lawyers (I guess in France the victim's family gets lawyers just as the perps). The filming starts 2 years after Francois' murder--and essentially you get this portrait of a family that is just torn apart by grief. From his sister finding out about the murder in a paper (he was beaten beyond recognition) to telling his parents to the reaction to the verdict.

2.) It also provided a unique portrait of the French legal system. You hear the lawyers talk about potential punishments and what exactly is the point of prison and the punishments. And you also hear the lawyers and the family talk about both the trial, the killers and the skinhead movement in the context of the founding values of the French Republic (Liberty, brotherhood and equality).

Overall a good movie--the subtitles were a bit lacking awkward translations and missing words at times but still doable. The people do talk really fast, however, so you've got to pay close attention. And I swear the only time most of them paused was when they need to take a drag on their smokes or ash them.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 11:57 PM)
I am looking forward to this movie as much as any other coming out this year along with Iron Man 2, Toy Story 3, and possibly Inception. And even though I feel like I am the only one my age who has seen Tron most of my friends are really excited about it as well since I have forced the trailer, teasers and the other clips on them.

Tron was playing on TV the other night, so I watched it for the first time in a very long time. Lots of cheesy 80's-ness, but also some nicely done bits. And the special effects, for a movie made in 1982, were actually pretty impressive.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)
A LOT of critics said it shared the same themes as Dances With Wolves.

I said that while watching it. Dances had a better overall plot IMO, but Avatar is one of the most interestingly done movies in our lifetime. The effects were simply ridiculous in 3-D.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 06:54 AM)
What I found facinating was that I thought Kristin Davis looked the best out of all the women in that movie, and shes the oldest.

Why, again, do you find this fascinating?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 06:54 AM)
What I found facinating was that I thought Kristin Davis looked the best out of all the women in that movie, and shes the oldest.

that'd be pretty much true in any movie ever.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
The last two nights I have watched Transformers 2 and Jennifer's Body.

I am shocked that neither were nominated for Best Picture...

Well, Transformers got the Razzie for Worst Picture. So there is that

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
Why on earth would you choose those two movies to watch the last two days

Haha. Because I am stubborn. I have a Blockbuster mail account and my queue got a little thin and these two just happened to arrive in the mail together.

In order to get my money's worth, I make certain to watch ALL of the movies that arrive in my mailbox.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
Haha. Because I am stubborn. I have a Blockbuster mail account and my queue got a little thin and these two just happened to arrive in the mail together.

In order to get my money's worth, I make certain to watch ALL of the movies that arrive in my mailbox.

Me too. No matter how painful. Last Year at the Marienbad nearly killed me. Literally.