Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
Alice in Wonderland in IMAX 3D was good, but it's probably a mediocre movie in regular 2D.

Also, everything should be in IMAX 3D.

agreed in both counts

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
An unfinished version of Toy Story 3 was screened today and there has been nothing but absolutely glowing reports about it. Not that I'm surprised but it looks like Pixar's streak of making incredible films will continue. http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/arc...t-in-tears.aspx

Does "Cars" really count? In my mind it's the only one that just didn't work. IMO, given the standard set by it's Pixar brethren "Cars" is actually a pretty mediocre film.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 12:49 AM)
Does "Cars" really count? In my mind it's the only one that just didn't work. IMO, given the standard set by it's Pixar brethren "Cars" is actually a pretty mediocre film.

I agree with that, even though I though Cars was a good movie it is definitely not at the level of Pixar's other films.

I'm also in agreement that cars was the weakest of the Pixar offerings, but that comes down to the company it has to keep in the other Pixar films.

That said, I'm in the apparent minority of rabid Pixar fans who would rather not see them focus on Toy Story sequels. The stable of characters is great, certainly, but I fear that success with the sequels could send the company down that road with their other franchises and that would be a shame. Part of the perfection of the films is that they are complete little stand-alone entities that are as close to perfect storytelling as films usually get. It becomes too easy to riff off the established characters and the sequels suffer for it. I definitely think that was the case with Toy Story 2 and will be with the third installment as well.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 12:49 AM)

I went to it thinking it was a documentary on the band and was severely disappointed.

I think that Pixar has been good enough about releasing original films in a timely manner that they can be afforded a sequel to a franchise. Lets be honest, Toy Story as of right now is the only movie they have done a sequel for, and even though you percieve it as a somewhat cheap knockoff of the original, it could of stood alone and would have been just as successful(IMO). we just had another movie to compare it to.

Pixar also has been somewhat vocal in being against the Disney-ification of their originals into sequels, and I think that was one of the main rifts that they had when Disney and Pixar briefly went their seperate ways.

There are a few movies that i think they could make into franchise vehicles that could be fun and not watered down(The Incredibles, for one), but I think they will maintain their stance on sequels for the foreseeable future.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 07:20 AM)
I think that Pixar has been good enough about releasing original films in a timely manner that they can be afforded a sequel to a franchise. Lets be honest, Toy Story as of right now is the only movie they have done a sequel for, and even though you percieve it as a somewhat cheap knockoff of the original, it could of stood alone and would have been just as successful(IMO). we just had another movie to compare it to.

Pixar also has been somewhat vocal in being against the Disney-ification of their originals into sequels, and I think that was one of the main rifts that they had when Disney and Pixar briefly went their seperate ways.

There are a few movies that i think they could make into franchise vehicles that could be fun and not watered down(The Incredibles, for one), but I think they will maintain their stance on sequels for the foreseeable future.

They are also making a Cars 2 (coming out next year) which is the first Pixar movie I'm not really looking forward to. But they are also releasing an original movie in December of next year as well.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
They are also making a Cars 2 (coming out next year) which is the first Pixar movie I'm not really looking forward to. But they are also releasing an original movie in December of next year as well.

Yeah, that's what I don't want them to start doing — going the less creative sequel route. I think revisiting favorite characters in the the shorts, ala' jack Jack's Revenge and the one with Mater and the aliens is enjoyable, but I'm not nearly as interested in seeing the studio revisit their best work via sequels as I am in seeing more original offerings.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)

I wasnt a fan of Cars either, but that movie made some money. Aside from the 461 mil in gross revenue, I found this on the wiki for the movie:

Related merchandise, including scale models of several of the cars, broke records for retail sales of merchandise based on a Disney·Pixar film, with an estimated $5 billion in sales.[

Maybe Pixar knew Cars was one of their lesser efforts, so they are letting Disney bastardize it for the profits

THe incredibles was, imo, the best movie. It didn't need jokes. It had a great message for kids. I felt like a really good role model when i took my sister to it. And then i got wastedddddddddddd

Brad Bird is a genius and The Incredibles is not just one of my favorite Pixar offerings, it's one of my favorite films period.

And it would be a snap to serialize the franchise and do sequels ala' the comics that inspired the film. But I really hope they don't. Don't mess with perfection.

I really have to go back and watch Monsters Inc. that was easily my favorite Pixar film prior to the release of The Incredibles. Given that the last time I saw it I was about 15 years old I wonder how it would sit with me at age 23, I could see myself enjoying it even more now that I'd be able to spot the nuances of the film and comprehend more of the references. (The Simpsons Effect, if you will)

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
Brad Bird is a genius and The Incredibles is not just one of my favorite Pixar offerings, it's one of my favorite films period.

And it would be a snap to serialize the franchise and do sequels ala' the comics that inspired the film. But I really hope they don't. Don't mess with perfection.

I dunno, if it was well done...that's really a movie that to me cries out for a Sequel...if it had a good script. That could easily be a case like Spiderman 2 or X-Men 2 where the Sequel winds up better than the opening.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
I really have to go back and watch Monsters Inc. that was easily my favorite Pixar film prior to the release of The Incredibles. Given that the last time I saw it I was about 15 years old I wonder how it would sit with me at age 23, I could see myself enjoying it even more now that I'd be able to spot the nuances of the film and comprehend more of the references. (The Simpsons Effect, if you will)

Getting to rewatch lots of the Pixar stuff with having young kids, I do think Monsters was my favorite. Toy Story and Nemo are right there too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
Getting to rewatch lots of the Pixar stuff with having young kids, I do think Monsters was my favorite. Toy Story and Nemo are right there too.

Yea Toy Story was my favorite when I was a kid with the Incredibles right up there. Ice Age ain't bad either.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
Yea Toy Story was my favorite when I was a kid with the Incredibles right up there. Ice Age ain't bad either.

I didn't like the Incredibles particularly much. I think it was my least favorite out of the bunch, which isn't saying a lot, because it isn't like I hated it or anything. It was just meh for me.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
FlaSoxx, would you be happy if they stopped making Godzilla movies after the first one ever made? ;)

:lolhitting

I loves me some bad Showa era Godzilla installments, that is true. But not one of them can hold a candle to the 1954 original (the version without Raymond Burr spliced in, thank you very much).

The beauty of Incredibles and the way it ended, with the Underminer (the Mole Man parody) showing up and the family going into battle mode, was that it let the viewer know that this family of superheroes is out there fighting the never-ending comic book battle against the baddies. That those adventures are not chronicled for us in sequel upon sequel (akin to month after month in the comic world) doesn't diminish the satisfaction of imagining they are out there doing battle somewhere on our behalf.

:D

The Monsters Inc. talk brings up a key criticism of mine regarding Toy Story 2. The airport baggage conveyor belt seen was totally derivative of the Monsters climax scene with all the bedroom doors on the conveyors. Pixar ripping itself off. That's the lack of original ideas that I'm afraid the sequels could devolve into if they go that route.