Midwest Region

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 07:15 PM)
3 years ago. UNI is pretty much what we were back than, the difference in this game and ours was definitely the officiating. Way too rep the Valley UNI!

Times flies.

Is Jimbo ok?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of this game, UNI still didn't deserve a better seed based on their body of work coming in. They may have been better than a 9 seed, but their resume didn't suggest them deserving any better.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)
Regardless of this game, UNI still didn't deserve a better seed based on their body of work coming in. They may have been better than a 9 seed, but their resume didn't suggest them deserving any better.

Their seeding screw job just screwed KU. KU didn't deserve to play UNI in the 2nd round just as much as UNI didn't deserve Kansas in the 2nd round.

Thats why you have to look at more then "quality wins." Because your not just screwing the team by giving them a low seed, your screwing the teams they have to play.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
Their seeding screw job just screwed KU. KU didn't deserve to play UNI in the 2nd round just as much as UNI didn't deserve Kansas in the 2nd round.

Thats why you have to look at more then "quality wins." Because your not just screwing the team by giving them a low seed, your screwing the teams they have to play.

Maybe not, but UNI is the kind of team that seems to frustrate Bill Self's teams. I seem to remember Bucknell putting up a very similar game against Kansas in 05' or so?

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 08:01 PM)
They deserved a 7 at worst in my eyes. They are a very good team.

They simply didn't beat anyone good enough to deserve that over the course of the season. Their best wins don't match up to the best wins of the 7 seeds.

You have to beat people.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
UNI beat Old Dominion who beat the 6 seed of Notre Dame.

ND getting a 6 was an absolute joke. There were people who thought ND was actually going to get that 11 seed right before it was announced, not the 6.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 07:30 PM)
I am sixth in the Soxtalk group, but 3 of the 5 in front of me have Kansas winning it all. If Kentucky comes through to the final 4, and somehow Pitt, Ohio State and Duke make the final 4, I should win it.

We're haaaapppppyyy for youuuuuuu!

;)

Good luck.

Today showed once again that Bill Self, while maybe the best recruiter in America, is still a sketchy coach. Winning a National Championship obviously earned him a pass for quite a while, but I've seen too many of his teams lose to inferior opponents (and in cases like today, Bradley, and Bucknell, vastly inferior opponents) in the tournament to feel otherwise.

UNI certainly deserves a ton of credit though. Even on a bad day for KU, it takes a really strong performance to beat them, and outside of the fact that it appeared UNI has never seen a full court press before, they played outstanding basketball today. That three point shot to ice the game was either the ballsiest or craziest shot I've ever seen, still not sure yet.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 01:06 AM)
Today showed once again that Bill Self, while maybe the best recruiter in America, is still a sketchy coach. Winning a National Championship obviously earned him a pass for quite a while, but I've seen too many of his teams lose to inferior opponents (and in cases like today, Bradley, and Bucknell, vastly inferior opponents) in the tournament to feel otherwise.

UNI certainly deserves a ton of credit though. Even on a bad day for KU, it takes a really strong performance to beat them, and outside of the fact that it appeared UNI has never seen a full court press before, they played outstanding basketball today. That three point shot to ice the game was either the ballsiest or craziest shot I've ever seen, still not sure yet.

The first time ISU played UNI, ISU full court pressed them at the end and started to dominate them but it was too late to do anything. Jank apparently didn't feel it necessary to full court press at all in the final game with them, but he might have been saving it for the MVC tournament if we ended up facing them but we didn't. UNI really struggles with it, and if a team was smart they'd do it the entire game.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)

Bulls***. KU was 100% more talented than UNI and got outplayed. Any team in this tourney can beat any other team if they outplay and outwork them.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 02:19 AM)
The first time ISU played UNI, ISU full court pressed them at the end and started to dominate them but it was too late to do anything. Jank apparently didn't feel it necessary to full court press at all in the final game with them, but he might have been saving it for the MVC tournament if we ended up facing them but we didn't. UNI really struggles with it, and if a team was smart they'd do it the entire game.

Most teams honestly aren't conditioned well enough to press the entire game.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 02:21 AM)
Most teams honestly aren't conditioned well enough to press the entire game.

Ya not as hard as KU was at the end, but just enough. Whenever I watched UNI get pressed this year they struggled a lot.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 02:19 AM)
Bulls***. KU was 100% more talented than UNI and got outplayed. Any team in this tourney can beat any other team if they outplay and outwork them.

Yes, but UNI is a 6 or 7 seed. Do you honestly believe that KU deserved to play a 6 or 7 seed in the second round after earning the number 1 overall seed in the tournament?

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 02:48 AM)
Yes, but UNI is a 6 or 7 seed. Do you honestly believe that KU deserved to play a 6 or 7 seed in the second round after earning the number 1 overall seed in the tournament?

I know what you're getting at here, but even still, they would have had no business being unprepared for a 6 or 7 seed in the third round either. A loss then would have still been considered a massive failure and attracted national criticism.

Man, UNI made me eat some major crow. My wife's family was in town form Iowa yesterday. They were talking about wanting to get back home to watch the UNI game. I said "UNI doesnt stand a chance on this side of the moon of beating Kansas".

Yea, my wife had to call her mom and rub it in my face.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 01:50 AM)
I know what you're getting at here, but even still, they would have had no business being unprepared for a 6 or 7 seed in the third round either. A loss then would have still been considered a massive failure and attracted national criticism.

Agree 100%. Kansas should not have lost to UNI.