Nationals Release Elijah Dukes

elrockinMT

Read the story on MLB.Com that the Nationals released Elijah Dukes. Physical problems and non-production this spring. Nationals indicated they tried to trade Dukes before releasing him and they failed, but felt he was not suited for a minor league assignemtn and was a big league caliber ball player. I gathered he may have been a clubhouse distraction. A poll by MLB asked voters to pick one of four teams Dukes may end up on and one was the Wite Sox. My question is why the Sox? Have we ever showed an interest in Dukes?

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
I saw this on my ESPN text update this morning, literally laughed out loud wondering when how long it would take for this to hit the board. There was a time that I would've taken a fly on him, but we've already got enough "ifs" on this team, we don't need that cancer.

Why didn't you put it on the board? :lolhitting :lol:

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
Why didn't you put it on the board? :lolhitting :lol:

Because I was hoping it would NOT end up as a pale-hose related thread. Last year I was quietly hoping to pick him up as a reclamation project, but not this year. And I'm not saying that he's entirely done; he really might get ONE more chance with a team with a good structure already in place. The Nats were not the best organization for him to turn it around; I feel they forced him into a starting role when I think he really needs a good 'mental coach' to work with him. If he's lucky enough to get that, good for him. If he doesn't get another chance, I won't shed a tear.

The guy gets released from the worst team in baseball that's crying out for offense.

He'll get a MLC offer or 2 from some teams, but I'd surprised if anyone offers him a major league contract.

Just too much trouble, and you know how KW and Ozzie feel about the whole clubhouse culture thing.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 11:09 PM)
The guy gets released from the worst team in baseball that's crying out for offense.

He'll get a MLC offer or 2 from some teams, but I'd surprised if anyone offers him a major league contract.

Just too much trouble, and you know how KW and Ozzie feel about the whole clubhouse culture thing.

He got a shot from a big league team for basically 2 seasons and was regressing. He'd still be better than what the Nationals are going to put out instead unless they sign a FA OF (JD is available), but he's not even more appealing to me than our 6th/7th OF options (De Aza and D2: the Mighty Danks).

I don't know if there are many teams that would even give him a minor league contract offer.

I saw on the MLB Network last night on their crawl a poll about Dukes. It asked what team might pick him up, and the choices were SF, NYY and the White Sox. I don't know why they chose those three teams or if there is any evidence that any of them are interested.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
I saw on the MLB Network last night on their crawl a poll about Dukes. It asked what team might pick him up, and the choices were SF, NYY and the White Sox. I don't know why they chose those three teams or if there is any evidence that any of them are interested.

Well, I will say that the Giants are one team he'd probably be an upgrade for at their starting OF spot (how have they not gambled on JD if they're hoping to compete out there?).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
Because they realize how bad Dye is defensively.

And AT&T Park has an enormous outfield, offense isn't everything, Dye would end up costing them quite a few runs meandering around right field.

QUOTE (rockren @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
Is it just me...or is Dukes a frickin' legend on soxtalk? Seriously, people have a serious hard on around here for that guy. That guy is a loser of epic proportions...I wouldn't want him anywhere near my WSox.

I have yet to see one person say they want him now on Soxtalk.

In my final meeting with the gods from the heavens above, as they spoke to me and hit me with the power of the Ultimate Warrior, they told me 'Exit stage left! Exit stage right! There is no place to run; all the fuses in the exit signs have been burned out! Elijah Dukes must join the white sox!

UltimateWarriorAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.gif

Edited by Ultimate Warrior

QUOTE (Ultimate Warrior @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 02:56 AM)
In my final meeting with the gods from the heavens above, as they spoke to me and hit me with the power of the Ultimate Warrior, they told me 'Exit stage left! Exit stage right! There is no place to run; all the fuses in the exit signs have been burned out! Elijah Dukes must join the white sox!

UltimateWarriorAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.gif

It's 4:16 in the morning. And this dude just made me laugh really loud.