Teahen's struggles...

JPN366

If he continues to struggle, what happens?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Teahen

• Platoons with Nix.
    • You know, Retherford can play third...as can Viciedo...Morel too.
    • Nothing, hits 9th, brings the D.
    • More at bats for Vizquel!
    • It's just Spring Training.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)
Can't believe how much stock most are putting in 20 or so spring training at bats (good or bad). Andruw Jones is ready to relive 2005. People all of a sudden have faith in Alex Rios. And now because Teahen is struggling we've got people questioning the contract extension and clamoring for Chris Getz.

It was important for Rios to have a good spring after the way he played last year. From a mental standpoint, it wouldn't have been a good thing to have him going into the season after a bad stint with the Sox last year followed by a bad spring training this year. It's good for any player that hasn't been consistent over recent seasons. It doesn't mean they're going to have good years, but it's better than struggling. It's important that they've been looking good in their approaches.

Would've been nice for Teahen to have solid spring (and he can still finish strong) as it would also be nice if his elbow was healthy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)
Can't believe how much stock most are putting in 20 or so spring training at bats (good or bad). Andruw Jones is ready to relive 2005. People all of a sudden have faith in Alex Rios. And now because Teahen is struggling we've got people questioning the contract extension and clamoring for Chris Getz.

I can't believe how much people are putting into a bad couple of months that look nothing like the rest of his career.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
It was important for Rios to have a good spring after the way he played last year. From a mental standpoint, it wouldn't have been a good thing to have him going into the season after a bad stint with the Sox last year followed by a bad spring training this year. It's good for any player that hasn't been consistent over recent seasons. It doesn't mean they're going to have good years, but it's better than struggling. It's important that they've been looking good in their approaches.

Would've been nice for Teahen to have solid spring (and he can still finish strong) as it would also be nice if his elbow was healthy.

I agree. But if all it took was 20 or so spring training at bats for Rios bashers (and there's been plenty of them) to turn into believers then you (not you specifically) were full of it from the start.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
I can't believe how much people are putting into a bad couple of months that look nothing like the rest of his career.

Rios sucked last year. Nobody can deny that. But I've been on his bandwagon from the start. He's got an amazing skill-set and a solid pedigree to back it up. But I'm not going bonkers over his, to this point, solid showing in spring training.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
that is a huge stretch.

How? Aside from May his OPS's for each month were .728, .670, .663, .604, .553. The .728 is the only one that's not awful (I'd categorize it as bad) and that's made up by my calling a .553 OPS "awful" rather than something much, much stronger.

I am not worried about his bat.

Even if Teahen struggles a bit, it will be hard for him not to match his career averages with the move to U.S. Cellular for 81.

My concern is his glove, I am sick and tired of watching bad defense make our starters throw that many more pitches.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 08:24 PM)
JPN, if we still have the receipt for this trade can we at least go back to KMart and get Getz back? LOL

:lolhitting :lolhitting

I don't think this is one of those trades that will come back to haunt the Sox, but, Getzy is a baseball rat and will have a long career doing the blue collar stuff that every team needs. The irony of trading Teahen for Fields is not lost on me, regarding their respective religious convictions. If Teahen can hit .270 or above hitting 7, 8 or 9, then the trade will be successful. Like I said, I wanted to spark some discussion, seems I was successful.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 08:27 PM)
Alex Rios had 5 awful months last year.

He had 2 awful months, 3 subpar months, and 1 pretty good one. And even if 5 of them were awful, it doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of what is to come for him. Players will sometimes have anomalous poor seasons.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
He had 2 awful months, 3 subpar months, and 1 pretty good one. And even if 5 of them were awful, it doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of what is to come for him. Players will sometimes have anomalous poor seasons.

The issue is for Rios was that it's bsaically the 2nd season in a row his OPS has fallen (albeit the 2nd was more dramatic).

Can he turn it around? Absolutely, he's hitting in a very good ballpark power wise. I'm one of those who doubt he'll ever reach an OPS above .850 (what he was basically averaging in his prime years in Toronto) again though.

Teahen doesn't scare me. It is spring. Yet I wouldn't have signed him to the extension, though. Of course, if Teahen turns it up a notch offensively, his contract could be a bargain. He may be meh, but I don't think he's going to be Swisher bad.

I'm not worried about Rios. His track record of being good is longer than his sub par 2009. Even if he doesn't get back to his .850 OPS days [though he did steal 32 bases and hit 70 XBH with his .798 OPS in 2008, so it's not like he was terrible without posting a .850 + OPS], his value lays in his above avg. defense, and his ability to get 70 extra base hits. While he may not be worth his salary, the sox lineup was in dire need of his type of talent. It's like overpaying via free agency. The sox probably overpaid to claim him. Yet what was available on the free agent market [Figgins, Bay, Holliday, etc] wasn't worth it either.

No matter how you look at it, the Sox had to make changes to their lineup from being a station to station, aging, streaky, power hitting team, one that could not come back from a deficit, and was below average defensively. The sox want to have a lineup that is more consistent, and can play above average defense. The jury is out on guys like Rios and Teahen and whether this offense can score and prevent enough runs to help a solid pitching staff win the Central. But the lineup took a step forward with the additions and the subtractions, IMO, with Pierre, Teahen and Rios, esp. if Carlos plays close to what he did in 2008, Alexei improves on his 2008 like he was "supposed" to, and Beckham keeps improving.

That's a lot of "ifs", I know. Yet with a potentially stellar pitching staff--that is being paid very well--the sox have to rely on some players on offense outperforming their projections. Overall, I like the looks of the 2010 Sox roster better than the 2009 one. They have room to improve, certainly. The 2009 lineup though was surely one on the decline, while the 2010 lineup has upside. In the Central, that may be enough, coupled with a healthy pitching staff.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (Ranger @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 02:31 AM)

Rios has been trending down ever since he signed his extension. KW told Garfien he had a pitcher but couldn't agree to an extension. That pitcher supposedly was Roy Halladay. The $60 million Rios eats up probably would have help with the extension part. Maybe not. I'm certainly not going to get too excited by a few spring training AB and determine he's back and better than ever. I still have what many scounts have offered, that he doesn't seem to care since he signed that contract, in the front of my mind.

He and Jones will have to perform well when the games count and the pitchers who deserve to be on a MLB mound will be on the mound using their entire aresenal, and although I don't think much of Teahan, its the same way with him. These outs and errors don't mean squat. The games don't count. I think everyone should be reminded Wilson Betemit hit 6 homers and had 18 rbi for the Sox in spring training last year. It doesn't count.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 08:32 AM)
Rios has been trending down ever since he signed his extension. KW told Garfien he had a pitcher but couldn't agree to an extension. That pitcher supposedly was Roy Halladay. The $60 million Rios eats up probably would have help with the extension part. Maybe not. I'm certainly not going to get too excited by a few spring training AB and determine he's back and better than ever. I still have what many scounts have offered, that he doesn't seem to care since he signed that contract, in the front of my mind.

He and Jones will have to perform well when the games count and the pitchers who deserve to be on a MLB mound will be on the mound using their entire aresenal, and although I don't think much of Teahan, its the same way with him. These outs and errors don't mean squat. The games don't count. I think everyone should be reminded Wilson Betemit hit 6 homers and had 18 rbi for the Sox in spring training last year. It doesn't count.

DA, sometimes you are just ridiculous with your points on money. If you remove the bolded part your entire point is about performance, as it should be because that is what this discussion is about.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
DA, sometimes you are just ridiculous with your points on money. If you remove the bolded part your entire point is about performance, as it should be because that is what this discussion is about.

Maybe you can edit my posts for me. The point being, a team always worried about money, owes this guy more money than any player they ever have had. His performance has to be pretty stellar. They owe this guy for 5 years, and already scouts are saying he doesn't care. In the next 5 years the Sox are going to have to start paying some guys a lot of money. Someone very popular may not have a place on the team because of Alex Rios' contract. So he better be better than OK. Its very disconcerning if you ask me, and KW talking yesterday how he's a "surprise" because he looks good at the plate, is pretty revealing as well. Face it, if the Sox put Rios through waivers right now, even with the spring showing everyone he's better than ever, he wouldn't be claimed.

Spring training is all about feel good stories. Hawk was praising Jenks yesterday, he was throwing well, his breaking ball was great, his calf wasn't a problem, until KW had to step in and say he was undergoing an MRI on his calf. And on the other side, there's no reason to fret over guys who aren't hitting that well or pitching that well right now. When the games count is when it matters.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
Maybe you can edit my posts for me. The point being, a team always worried about money, owes this guy more money than any player they ever have had. His performance has to be pretty stellar. They owe this guy for 5 years, and already scouts are saying he doesn't care. In the next 5 years the Sox are going to have to start paying some guys a lot of money. Someone very popular may not have a place on the team because of Alex Rios' contract. So he better be better than OK. Its very disconcerning if you ask me, and KW talking yesterday how he's a "surprise" because he looks good at the plate, is pretty revealing as well. Face it, if the Sox put Rios through waivers right now, even with the spring showing everyone he's better than ever, he wouldn't be claimed.

Spring training is all about feel good stories. Hawk was praising Jenks yesterday, he was throwing well, his breaking ball was great, his calf wasn't a problem, until KW had to step in and say he was undergoing an MRI on his calf. And on the other side, there's no reason to fret over guys who aren't hitting that well or pitching that well right now. When the games count is when it matters.

No I am not editing your posts for you, you are a big boy. The bolded is always your point and you fit it into arguments where it has no merit, all the time. You start with "His numbers have been declining" then go off into a tangent about who KW could of signed over the offseason, then back to numbers in spring training. Everything is disconcerning to you, and I still have yet to hear that the White Sox are nearly as concerned about their money situation as you are. In fact, you are the only one I have read that keeps saying they are concerned about money. Just because they operate under a budget doesnt mean they are constantly worried about money, despite what you think. The budget is still high and can maintain a competitive team.

Your point with Halladay is moot, the trade never happened and it is still speculation as to who KW had. Halladay was probably looking for an extension that would match what Peavy will be making at the end of his contract, and no matter what Rios is making, I highly doubt KW wants to be spending 40+ million on 2 pitchers in one year. He doesnt work like that, he never has.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
if it makes everybody feel better, Chris Getz is hitting .154 with two extra base hits and Josh Fields .214 with one home run in 28 at bats.

Looks like BA has hit his way into their lineup with his Cycle performance.

And Pods ....375 with a .423 obp.

None of this surprises me. BA was always a ST warrior

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
No I am not editing your posts for you, you are a big boy. The bolded is always your point and you fit it into arguments where it has no merit, all the time. You start with "His numbers have been declining" then go off into a tangent about who KW could of signed over the offseason, then back to numbers in spring training. Everything is disconcerning to you, and I still have yet to hear that the White Sox are nearly as concerned about their money situation as you are. In fact, you are the only one I have read that keeps saying they are concerned about money. Just because they operate under a budget doesnt mean they are constantly worried about money, despite what you think. The budget is still high and can maintain a competitive team.

Your point with Halladay is moot, the trade never happened and it is still speculation as to who KW had. Halladay was probably looking for an extension that would match what Peavy will be making at the end of his contract, and no matter what Rios is making, I highly doubt KW wants to be spending 40+ million on 2 pitchers in one year. He doesnt work like that, he never has.

Alex Rios' contract has no merit? I just stated facts. KW said he had a trade for a pitcher that could have made his rotation the best ever. He said they ran into a problem with an extension. These are facts. I said not having to owe $60 million to Rios probably would have helped with the extension. I also said maybe not, because it may not have been the extension. Perhaps Halladay or whoever it was just said no. IIRC, Halladay has a NTC.

I also love how you rip me for speculating, then speculate yourself. As for spending, the White Sox have recently spent a lot more money on starting pitching if you break it down $/player than any other position. 2006 the only 2 players on the roster being paid more than the 5 starters were Thome and half of his salary was being paid by Philadelphia, and Konerko who was a post season star for a championship team. Konerko at that stage was owed about the same as Rios is right now.

If KW was at least semi- prepared to make a deal with Halladay or whatever pitcher it was that was going to make his rotation the best of all-time in his words, I'm sure he knew it would cost a pretty penny not only prospect-wise, but money-wise as well. Adrian Gonzalez, if the Sox somehow get him, is going to be just as expensive, if not more if they want to extend him.

Rios has a lot to live up to. Paying someone $60 million for 5 years is expecting he will perform a lot better than an average player. He needs to be better than the "well he's better than Dewayne Wise" thoughts. I don't see where 25 or so spring training ABs shows he's ready to live up to his end of the deal. I hope he does, but nothing has been answered yet. I'd bet the ranch if he was placed on waivers, he wouldn't be claimed. If he was making $1 million a year, he most certainly would be claimed. His contract has plenty of merit.

Edited by Dick Allen

Another thing you have to look at with Teahen is that alot of players have at least one bad month. Their play is very streaky. So even if Teahen has a bad April, who's to say he can't rebound the rest of the year. I'd rather have him batting .200 in April than in September. Ultimately I think he'll come around.