ST: White Sox v. Royals, Peavy v. Meche

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
From what I saw in the 5-6 spring games I have seen, he seems to be swinging for the fences very hard. Not sure if he is just working on his bat flip or what, but yeah, he has been swinging out of his arm sockets.

shouldnt it be a concern? because correct me if im wrong, but wasnt quentin healthy the first half? i remember him playing a while and with a really low average and then he got the heal issue ?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
He's doing what veteran pitchers do during Spring games; he's working on his fastball. Just trying to put it where he wants to and not really worrying about getting hitters out. Greg Maddux was famous for this; he'd throw nothing but fastballs in some spring outings just trying to find his release point and develop muscle memory. He's basically throwing batting practice.

Didn't Maddux play with Peavy for a half season?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
Didn't Maddux play with Peavy for a half season?

Almost 2 full seasons. Lucky for Jake by the time their paths crossed he was already a big league vet so he likely avoided the wrath of Maddux's urine stream.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 05:34 PM)
shouldnt it be a concern? because correct me if im wrong, but wasnt quentin healthy the first half? i remember him playing a while and with a really low average and then he got the heal issue ?

You're wrong. Q was healthy for about 2 weeks of the season. He started slumping, and then about a week later we heard specifics about hsi foot issue. It bothered him the whole season from there.

The last game I'm convinced he was at 100%, he was hitting .302, after single-handedly destroying the Rays early in the season.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 06:52 PM)
And here's confirmation; according to Cowley 71 of the 74 pitches Peavy threw vs KC were fastballs. THIS is just one of the many, many reasons spring stats don't mean a whole hell of a lot.

Not too mention probably not wanting to show too much off to a team he may face 3, 4, or even 5 times this year.

And here's confirmation; according to Cowley 71 of the 74 pitches Peavy threw vs KC were fastballs. THIS is just one of the many, many reasons spring stats don't mean a whole hell of a lot.

Are you saying once the season starts and Andruw Jones starts getting thrown breaking balls he isn't gonna OPS over 1000?

That's exactly why I was curious from someone who has seen Jones to find out what he is hitting.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
Are you saying once the season starts and Andruw Jones starts getting thrown breaking balls he isn't gonna OPS over 1000?

The first breaking ball he sees on April 5th will be the best he's seen in months. I do expect Kotsay to keep up his .433 batting average, however.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 22, 2010 -> 08:19 PM)
Not too mention probably not wanting to show too much off to a team he may face 3, 4, or even 5 times this year.

Yup, the Score just played a clip of Peavy saying he and Cooper decided not to show KC anything today.