Buddy Bell conference call

danman31

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
Sounds a lot like a guy known as BA :-P

Nah. Brian had a loopy swing. Danks' swing is much tighter.

If Jordan can learn to keep from pulling his head off the ball, he'll be fine.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
I'm not a scout, but I've watched a fair bit of video with Danks at the plate... and his "problem" seems pretty obvious to me.

He pulls his head off the ball.

It's sort of frustrating to watch actually, because it happens so consistently.

Seems logical that has alot to do with his contact problems... because his walk rates suggest he doesn't have a problem with his batting eye. In fact, his judgment on what is a ball or strike seems excellent.

But once he starts his swing mechanics, you can see there is a point about midway where his head pulls away... almost inevitably leading to a swing and a miss.

I'd have to believe the coaches have identified this and are helping him with it.

If he gets that fixed and increases his contact rate as a result, I think he has a really good shot at MLB. If he doesn't, not much chance he'll be more than a fringe player.

If that's the case, there's Carlos Quentin to help. Q's head never moves when he's in his crouch. Getting in a stance where your arms restrict head movement would be a good idea if Danks has a problem with keeping his head on the ball (I used to have this problem and I still do. It's hard to get rid of).

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
Getting in a stance where your arms restrict head movement would be a good idea if Danks has a problem with keeping his head on the ball (I used to have this problem and I still do. It's hard to get rid of).

So did I. It was sad when opposing pitchers had to point it out to me after the game.. :lol:

I don't know why, but when I go up to hit, I usually end up pulling my head off the ball. But if I'm swinging in any other situation, I can keep my head still. I think it's a mental thing.

This started about 5 years ago. Before that, I had really good hitting mechanics.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
I don't know why, but when I go up to hit, I usually end up pulling my head off the ball. But if I'm swinging in any other situation, I can keep my head still. I think it's a mental thing.

This started about 5 years ago. Before that, I had really good hitting mechanics.

Work on driving the ball up the middle and opposite way.

Easiest way to make sure you keep your head still.

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Work on driving the ball up the middle and opposite way.

Easiest way to make sure you keep your head still.

Oh. One other thing. Watch the ball. Sounds silly but it's true, and sometimes you need to remind yourself.

You have to watch the ball all the way to the bat.

You should see the ball come off your bat when you hit it.

Whenever I'm pitching to my son and he starts pulling his head off, I tell him to watch the ball and I give

him hammer and nail imagery. Bat=hammer. Ball=nail.

It works every time.

If this is hard to do, then like I said above, send everything opposite way. Almost impossible to pull

your head off.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)

your mechanics are garbage and everyone knows it!

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
Oh. One other thing. Watch the ball. Sounds silly but it's true, and sometimes you need to remind yourself.

You have to watch the ball all the way to the bat.

You should see the ball come off your bat when you hit it.

Whenever I'm pitching to my son and he starts pulling his head off, I tell him to watch the ball and I give

him hammer and nail imagery. Bat=hammer. Ball=nail.

It works every time.

If this is hard to do, then like I said above, send everything opposite way. Almost impossible to pull

your head off.

I had a coach growing up that had all sorts of odd drills that seemed to really work with keeping your head on the ball and driving it. Before batting cages were all over the place.

1.) He used to paint ping pong balls different colors. He would start out with a bat, then would move to a thinner sticks such as thin metal pipes or broom handles ( kind of like stickball ) as we made more contact. You would have to yell out the color of the ball, sometimes a number if it was painted on there, and then make contact. He would start the flip drill from the side, then move behind. It really helped you keep your head on the ball, follow the movements, and make solid contact. It also allowed you to hit the ball deeper in the hitting zone, allowing you to hit to all fields. When you got into a game the ball looked like a beachball.

2.) For power, and I am sure that the telephone company is not thrilled with this. He would use a tennessee thumper, which was a pretty heavy aluminum bat. He would place a small rock in the imperfections of the telephone pole in his alley, and would have us try to drive through the pole.

Edited by southsideirish71

While I appreciated Bell's candor, I found this assesssment to be one that offers a thoroughly depresssing view of the future for this organization. I was worried about Tyler Flowers' loopy swing when I watched him late last year, and I do not get at all excited when I hear superlatives like "super utility player", "situational guy", "great hands", and "best defensive centerfielder (read: can't hit)" used to describe our supposed "better" prospects. I will say this again and repeatedly....when this organization wants to take the drafting and development of it's players seriously, that will be all right by me. Until then, we will be choking ourselves by overspending for replacement level talent.

Hiring Buddy Bell and and getting rid of Dave Wilder and Duane Schafer was a good start but is it enough?

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
While I appreciated Bell's candor, I found this assesssment to be one that offers a thoroughly depresssing view of the future for this organization. I was worried about Tyler Flowers' loopy swing when I watched him late last year, and I do not get at all excited when I hear superlatives like "super utility player", "situational guy", "great hands", and "best defensive centerfielder (read: can't hit)" used to describe our supposed "better" prospects. I will say this again and repeatedly....when this organization wants to take the drafting and development of it's players seriously, that will be all right by me. Until then, we will be choking ourselves by overspending for replacement level talent.

Hiring Buddy Bell and and getting rid of Dave Wilder and Duane Schafer was a good start but is it enough?

You can't empty out and refill a minor league system in a year or two, especially with a GM like Kenny at the top.

In fairness he said Bellamy was better than a situational guy. No one is saying it's a great system so I don't know why you need to read too much into phrases to figure that out.

I will say this again and repeatedly....when this organization wants to take the drafting and development of it's players seriously, that will be all right by me.

Gordon Beckham and Dan Hudson say hello.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
Gordon Beckham and Dan Hudson say hello.

I will second that thought. In addition to those two, and this has been said before but i'll say it again, we have taken our "inferior" quality of prospects and turned them into valuable pieces time and time again, Jake Peavy being the most recent of those pieces. We moved a first round pick, a fifth rounder, and a 13th round pick to get an #1, cy young caliber starter. that's not too bad. In comparison, the mariners had to gut their system giving up Jones, Tillman, and George Sherrill for Eric Bedard, who is nowhere near the talent that Jake Peavy is (even pre-injury I'd take Peavy over Bedard any day of the week)

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 04:20 AM)
I will second that thought. In addition to those two, and this has been said before but i'll say it again, we have taken our "inferior" quality of prospects and turned them into valuable pieces time and time again, Jake Peavy being the most recent of those pieces. We moved a first round pick, a fifth rounder, and a 13th round pick to get an #1, cy young caliber starter. that's not too bad. In comparison, the mariners had to gut their system giving up Jones, Tillman, and George Sherrill for Eric Bedard, who is nowhere near the talent that Jake Peavy is (even pre-injury I'd take Peavy over Bedard any day of the week)

Everyone forgets the tall guy...