25 man roster set

Kalapse

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
I am fine with Kotsay as long as he plays the role he is supposed to play. My problem with Linebrink is that he cannot do that with any sort of consistency, and when he goes bad, he goes really bad

I'm fine with Kotsay too, but it appears this board has already set up to scapegoat him ala Dwayne Wise already.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
I'm fine with Kotsay too, but it appears this board has already set up to scapegoat him ala Dwayne Wise already.

I think it’s less scapegoating, and more like objective assessment. The only think we Kotsay "haters" are doing is trying to show that his recent major league performance suggests that he shouldn't play a prominent role in the starting lineup for this ballclub.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
I am fine with Kotsay as long as he plays the role he is supposed to play. My problem with Linebrink is that he cannot do that with any sort of consistency, and when he goes bad, he goes really bad

Even though this has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, I like the Silversun Pickups reference KyYlE.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 01:00 PM)
What roles is that?

DH against RHP and 1B/OF sub ?

Bench sub, spot starter, pinch hitter.

QUOTE (sayitaintso @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
Even though this has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, I like the Silversun Pickups reference KyYlE.

Love them. Cannot wait for something new

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
It's also beyond his control if Ozzie uses him inappropriately. That was kind of the comparison I was going for there with the Wise situation.

I agree with this. Although Kotsay was once an extremely talented player, Wise was always nothing more than a minor league guy

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
It's also beyond his control if Ozzie uses him inappropriately. That was kind of the comparison I was going for there with the Wise situation.

I don't think anybody has been bashing Kotsay directly, though. When I've complained about our DH situation, I know I haven't at least.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
I agree with this. Although Kotsay was once an extremely talented player, Wise was always nothing more than a minor league guy

Kotsay is still a valuable bench player while Wise is nothing more than a mediocre 5th outfielder at best. However, last year Ozzie put Wise in a position to fail, and as a result he drew such ire from this board throughout the season. Based on the spring training discussions here, I can already see the same thing happening to Kotsay if Ozzie tries using him too much and Kotsay fails to produce better than he realistically should.

No surprises, but I'm going into this season very skeptical about the bullpen. It's going to be wait and see, but I have no faith in Linebrink. Putz has a dead arm. Yeah, that could be normal spring training stuff, but with him, you don't know. Santos started pitching a year ago, and if not for his lack of options, would be at AA at best. Jenks? We'll see if he can stay healthy. If the offense is going to be sub-par, the Sox are going to have a lot more close games, and thus more save opportunities. Bobby has to save 85-90% of his chances.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
Floyd Danks

Yes, so Danks can go up against the lefty-heavy Twinkies in game 4. I think the Sox are paying more attention to the game 4 lefty-lefty matchups, rather than trying to rank Floyd over Danks. I suspect the rotation will be shuffled further as we move forward and rainouts & days off & doubleheaders occur, always with an eye towards matchups. I wouldn't be surprised to see Freddy pitching after Peavy for a game, at some point in the season.

I like the 2 lefty / 3 righty balance of our starting rotation - it's the best possible balance.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)
Who is the odds on favorite to be the Soxtalk whipping boy this year? Linebrink looks like he has a big early lead

I am going to predict it will be Rios.

How has Rios hit and looked this spring? Give us a thorough assessment of his performance.

Why do people keep bringing up Wise? He's gone.

Some of us liked him. You just want to keep digging the knife in? I'll bite my tongue and not go into a long discussion of why I like Wise.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
How has Rios hit and looked this spring? Give us a thorough assessment of his performance.

Why do people keep bringing up Wise? He's gone.

Some of us liked him. You just want to keep digging the knife in? I'll bite my tongue and not go into a long discussion of why I like Wise.

Because he's garbage.

Because he's garbage.

OK I'll take the bait. He provided some of the key moments of the seasons in which he was with the team. He showed some life on a team often described as dead. His catch made possible one of the most glorious moments in White Sox history, in Chicago baseball history, a catch that has never been surpassed and will never be surpassed in White Sox lore (though Ken Berry and Chet Lemon had some great ones).

I love Wise and hope he made a roster somewhere.