Nats likely to take Harper with No. 1 pick

Ozzie Ball

With baseball's First-Year Player Draft still almost two months away, the perception in some circles around the game is the Nationals won't have as easy a choice with the No. 1 pick this season as they did last year, when they took right-hander Stephen Strasburg first overall.

That's not how the Nationals are approaching it.

Barring an injury or a drastic change, the Nationals will likely take 17-year-old catcher Bryce Harper with the first pick in the June Draft. According to a source familiar with the situation, they see Harper as being head and shoulders above anyone else in the 2010 draft class and believe he could reach the majors within 2 1/2 years.

Harper, who has been called "the LeBron James of baseball," completed his GED in December 2009 so he could play junior-college baseball and be eligible for the 2010 draft, rather than finish high school. He is currently playing at the College of Southern Nevada, where he is batting .422 with a .516 on-base percentage, .891 slugging percentage, 15 homers and 42 RBI in 39 games.

http://masnsports.com/the_goessling_game/2...-no-1-pick.html

Hopefully this happens and Harper's talent wins out over the money it will take to sign him.

Some writeup on Harper from BP. This paragraph caught my Eye.

The Makeup: This should not be underrated. It's impossible to find any talent evaluator who isn't blown away by Harper's ability on the field, but it's equally difficult to find one who doesn't genuinely dislike the kid. One scout called him among the worst amateur players he's ever seen from a makeup standpoint, with top-of-the-scale arrogance, a disturbingly large sense of entitlement, and on-field behavior that includes taunting opponents. "He's just a bad, bad guy," said one front-office official. "He's basically the anti-Joe Mauer." How this plays into the negotiation or future evaluation is yet to be determined, as history has shown us that the bigger talent a player is, the more makeup issues teams will deal with. Bench players can't afford to be problems, but plenty of teams happily put up with difficult superstars.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
Some writeup on Harper from BP. This paragraph caught my Eye.

The problem with guys like that isn't, usually, how they act as stars. As they say, if he performs, some or all teams are willing to put up with it. The problem is that hugely talented players that already, at 17 or 18, have that elevated a sense of entitlement, are much more apt to not put in the work, not learn, and not be a student of the game. And that means they are more likely to not reach their potential. This becomes especially important at catcher, by far the most complex position in the game, and the one who needs to most often deal with teammate personalities.

So in Harper, you are looking at a player with an enourmously high ceiling, but also a very real chance of failure. Showing once again that there is no such thing as a can't-miss prospect.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
When you have been told you are the greatest all of your life, eventually you start to believe it.

cough Lebron cough

If I had a kid that talented, I would tell him that I am incredibly proud of how far he has come, but he hast proved anything yet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
So what does it tell you when one stands out that much to the people who scout testosterone laden stars for a living?

That you're taking a chance when you give him $15 million that in a few years there might be a video of him striking out and then flinging his bat at an umpire?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
That you're taking a chance when you give him $15 million that in a few years there might be a video of him striking out and then flinging his bat at an umpire?

Visit my video on YouTube of that.

• 1 month later...

Harper was ejected from a game at the JUCO world series yesterday for arguing a strike call. Juco rules state that if a player is ejected twice during a season, he's suspended for two games. Since Harper was ejected earlier this year, he sits two games, and his juco career might be over.

If the Nats were smart, they'd draft Harper but have no intention of signing him. His bust factor is ridiculously high, IMO, and with the amount of money he wants, they might be better off waiting till next year, get their pick back (now, would they get the no. 1 or no. 2 pick next year?), and be able to pick the player they want.

From what I've seen, heard, and read about Harper, he will become a MLB player, but I doubt he becomes a superstar. I forgot where I read the comparison, but Josh Hamilton is a really good comparison. I envision something similar to Hamilton's 08 for Harper except more K's, more power, less average, and more of a pull hitter. Kind of like if Ryan Howard and Josh Hamilton had a son.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 07:30 PM)
Harper was ejected from a game at the JUCO world series yesterday for arguing a strike call. Juco rules state that if a player is ejected twice during a season, he's suspended for two games. Since Harper was ejected earlier this year, he sits two games, and his juco career might be over.

Thats a gay rule. The ump probably deserved it.