4/17 GT: Sox @ Indians, Peavy v. Westbrook

Disco72

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

10,245 were excited enough to come out and watch the White Sox on a Saturday, haha.

If we think they're boring, what does everyone else in baseball think?

The last team so boring to me was some of those mid to late 80's teams, but then we at least had Ventura/Thomas/McDowell/Sosa/Alvarez/Radinsky, all those young and talented players coming up together

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
What a joke, and Ozzie should get a bench coach next to him that could talk some sense into the guy, for the love of God

The worst thing was Cora not getting that Seattle job honestly. He really is terrible.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
The problem is much much bigger than this game. Our offense sucks. We're not going to win the division with this offense. You can't score 4 f***ing runs in 2 days against this pitching staff.

Besides, whose to say Thornton wouldn't have come in an f***ed it up like he did anyway.

Like I said.. even a tired Thornton yes I'd take my chances (our bullpen is very good) but you can't leave Peavy whose pitch count wasn't that extended yet this year, pitch in the 8th and a TIE GAME. He's struggled in his previous 2 starts. He gave us 7 IP of 1 run ball. Give him a pat on the back and turn it over to the best bullpen in the game for the later innings. Offense deserves alot of blame too, but the managing decision(s) is what lost us this game today.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
Like I said.. even a tired Thornton yes I'd take my chances (our bullpen is very good) but you can't leave Peavy whose pitch count wasn't that extended yet this year, pitch in the 8th and a TIE GAME. He's struggled in his previous 2 starts. He gave us 7 IP of 1 run ball. Give him a pat on the back and turn it over to the best bullpen in the game for the later innings. Offense deserves alot of blame too, but the managing decision(s) is what lost us this game today.

That's fine. I'm cool with blaming today on Ozzie too. Ozzie, KW, the offense, Thornton. All of em.

Ozzie's comments after game, "I think our offense has to get better"

#1. The offense scored enough runs to have a lead in the 8th, you were part of the reason that lead disappeared.

#2. You had a lot to do with putting this PoS offense together.

#3. Maybe you should say "my bad" one of these days for wasting our time with this 4-8 team.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 05:45 PM)
Now 0-8 when scoring 3 or less. Ozzie ball!

The White Sox won about 12% of the games last season when they scored less than 4 runs. It shouldn't be a surprise they lose when they score 2 runs. Ozzie might have made a mistake keeping Peavy out there too long, I didn't see the game, but you score 2 runs against the Indians again and you should lose. The scary thing is Andruw Jones is actually hitting pretty well and this team is a bat short. Pierre looks done. He seems like he's lost a couple of steps. There is no margin of error for the pitching staff or the defense. One let down and the game is over. NL offenses don't work in the AL.

Quentin hitting into that DP and doing his typical homer in a phone booth pop-up swing didn't help matters very much.

We're just not good at driving in RISP except for the mysterious blips of first half 2006 and for most of 2008 as well. Other than that, it has been a pretty brutal stretch of White Sox baseball and there's little light at the end of the tunnel.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
The White Sox won about 12% of the games last season when they scored less than 4 runs. It shouldn't be a surprise they lose when they score 2 runs. Ozzie might have made a mistake keeping Peavy out there too long, I didn't see the game, but you score 2 runs against the Indians again and you should lose. The scary thing is Andruw Jones is actually hitting pretty well and this team is a bat short. Pierre looks done. He seems like he's lost a couple of steps. There is no margin of error for the pitching staff or the defense. One let down and the game is over. NL offenses don't work in the AL.

I'm sure that's what the entire team felt yesterday when Teahen made that two run error.

They all mentally checked out of the game, which is sad when you're playing a team as bad as the Indians, especially with their recent history of pen troubles.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
White Sox Baseball: Where no one's held accountable for anything....ever.

Maybe someone needs to go wake up Reinsdorf. Maybe he'd can a few people.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)
I think that manager in Birmingham may be a good candidate. If I knew how to spell his name, I would. :D

Ever? Nah, i don't think he's ready, and it's pretty clear from how the Barons started this year that having a collection of mega-prospects did him a lot of good. I'd prefer Davey Johnson. I'm to assume that we crapped the bed tonight, right? I'm still watching this "epic" (read boring as s***) Mets game, but i saw the final score.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 06:45 PM)
Cora is a hanger on no good son of a b**** and completely worthless! :gosoxretro:

The only issue with Cora is that he's Ozzie. He might be a little more agressive then Guillen on the basepaths, but he's pretty much the same kind of manager. We have no one here for Ozzie to bounce ideas off of.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
Ozzie's awful decision overshadows another pathetic performance by our offense. It baffles me how boring this team is. At least Peavy was better, but his K rate is still scary and he got a lot of good luck today.

Boring is the word. As for Peavy, even though he pitched well enough to win today, his lack of velocity is beginning to make me wonder if there is a health issue.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
As for Peavy, even though he pitched well enough to win today, his lack of velocity is beginning to make me wonder if there is a health issue.

:huh:

His fastball was up (91-92) from his last outing. (88-90) This is the Peavy I like. He had nothing today, and still ave up only 2 runs. (though 1 when he was fatigued) He was fine today.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 06:01 PM)

no it shouldn't be a suprise. and the frustrating thing was this was easily forseeable by 90% of us that the offense was poor and not good enough. I just don't understand the mentality of lets see how this plays out and if we cant hit than we will make a change in may or june. to me thats a passive attitude.

Gene Lamont won 86 games his first year managing the White Sox then had 2 first place finishes. He was canned 31 games into his 4th season with a career winning pct. a lot higher than Ozzie's and replaced with Terry Bevington, perhaps the biggest joke of a manager in MLB history.

I guess what I'm saying is, even though I wouldn't do it, its not unprecedented for a guy like Ozzie to get canned fairly early if things don't turn around, even if there really isn't a better alternative around.

Its one thing to be 4-8, but with 8 of those games against Cleveland and KC and the others against Toronto, there has to be a little concern.

We have the 3rd lowest batting average and the 5th lowest OBP in all of MLB.

The only teams with a lower OBP than ours...

Cleveland

Cincinnati

Baltimore

Houston

But we are tied for 2nd in MLB in homeruns.

Old habits are hard to break. :0

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 12:27 AM)
We have the 3rd lowest batting average and the 5th lowest OBP in all of MLB.

The only teams with a lower OBP than ours...

Cleveland

Cincinnati

Baltimore

Houston

But we are tied for 2nd in MLB in homeruns.

Old habits are hard to break. :0

Yet we went out and acquired guys that can't hit the long ball! We're not going to get more than 30 home runs from lefty batters this season.

Edited by fathom