May Catch All White Sox Thread

BigSqwert

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 11, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
Yup.

You calculate it by taking a batter's weighted on base average (wOBA) and converting it to runs produced on offense. Then you take UZR and convert it into runs saved on defense. Add them together, add the replacement level production, add a position adjustment value, and you have your runs above replacement. Every 10 runs = 1 win share.

Rios has a 1.8 WAR right now, meaning he has produced/saved 18 runs above replacement level production.

You know what really bothers me about WAR? It's the 10 runs/win.

Think about it, you have all these complicated numbers calculated out to 3 or 4 significant figures. OPS of 1.012, wOBA of 0.352, UZR numbers of 10.5, on each of those you're calculating and probably keeping more significant figures to calculate runs saved.

Then, you just slap a single significant figure on it, 10 runs/win, and voila.

Really, it's not 9.453 runs/win? It's exactly 10.0000, in every circumstance, in every season?

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
You know what really bothers me about WAR? It's the 10 runs/win.

Think about it, you have all these complicated numbers calculated out to 3 or 4 significant figures. OPS of 1.012, wOBA of 0.352, UZR numbers of 10.5, on each of those you're calculating and probably keeping more significant figures to calculate runs saved.

Then, you just slap a single significant figure on it, 10 runs/win, and voila.

Really, it's not 9.453 runs/win? It's exactly 10.0000, in every circumstance, in every season?

thats pretty funny. and its wins above replacement

Apparently Tom Paciorek will be doing color along side Ed Farmer for the KC series filling in for DJ. So you'll have Hawk and the Big Hurt on TV with Farmio and Wimpy on the radio. What a bizarre weekend of White Sox broadcasts.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 12, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)
Apparently Tom Paciorek will be doing color along side Ed Farmer for the KC series filling in for DJ. So you'll have Hawk and the Big Hurt on TV with Farmio and Wimpy on the radio. What a bizarre weekend of White Sox broadcasts.

I don't know if my brain can handle that mix.

Oh crap, the Twins have wired their opponent's locker room specifically to allow them to annoy opposing managers.

Manager Ozzie Guillen moved his postgame session out of his office after his television set spontaneously was turned on and the Twins' broadcasters were praising journeyman Carl Pavano's performance.

I sincerely hope Hawk is able to either apologize to Wimpy or at least mend fences. What happened to Paciorek was horrific enough, having someone he was that close with react like he did was even worse. I really have to think something happened between them already, I cannot imagine Paciorek being able to be in the next booth without a truce being called.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 13, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
I sincerely hope Hawk is able to either apologize to Wimpy or at least mend fences. What happened to Paciorek was horrific enough, having someone he was that close with react like he did was even worse. I really have to think something happened between them already, I cannot imagine Paciorek being able to be in the next booth without a truce being called.

I know what happened to Wimpy, but I don't remember anything about Hawk's reaction to it?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 13, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
Wimpy told Hawk about his abuse at the hands of a priest, and Hawk basically freaked out and turned his back on him.

The story I heard was that Hawk also turned around and told other people (even making Wimpy out to be the butt of jokes).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 13, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
The story I heard was that Hawk also turned around and told other people (even making Wimpy out to be the butt of jokes).

Yep that's what I heard too. I could see Hawk being kind of a douche, same goes for Farmer re: fathon saying he heard he's extremely difficult to work with.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 13, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
Why is this coming up again?

because we have the day off??

i sat up in the booth with hawk and dj back when they were partners. dj was very cool and talked to me a lot between innings. hawk pretty much ignored me. another time we were at a team party in the offseason and i introduced my girlfriend to hawk. he proceeded to slobber all over her face. she is still traumatized by it.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ May 13, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
because we have the day off??

i sat up in the booth with hawk and dj back when they were partners. dj was very cool and talked to me a lot between innings. hawk pretty much ignored me. another time we were at a team party in the offseason and i introduced my girlfriend to hawk. he proceeded to slobber all over her face. she is still traumatized by it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 12, 2010 -> 08:29 PM)