NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)
What Lebron did was classless.

Most professionals give their employer notice. They dont parade around on tv and then leave them.

He could have left as a free agent with class, but he didnt choose that route. He chose to take this all to another level, a level that goes beyond what anyone in a "profession" would ever consider.

So I think Gilbert was right on the money.

It was Lebron's world, but now hes beholden to Miami and Gilbert doesnt have to bite his tongue or worry about what Lebron thinks, because who cares? Who cares if Lebron doesnt like Gilbert, how will that ever hurt him? Maybe in 6 years Lebron would have come back?

Gilbert is not a guy used to failing, hes acting exactly how I expected Lebron to act. You dont run from a challenge, you break it down.

Not everyone can be the best, but thats what the best do.

I'm not defending LeBron.

I'm saying as an adult, and a wealthy owner of an NBA franchise, the guy should probably exhibit a little more tact, class, and foresight than to release that letter when he is clearly in a state of anger and is very emotional.

I believe the phrase is "let cooler heads prevail."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
He just lost $200 million to this 25 year old. His franchise might well wind up bankrupt in a couple years because of this.

Especially after he catered to LeBron's every whim.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
About 90 minutes ago, I said I'd love to see a tell-all from a pissed off Cleveland org member

It will happen, it won't be like MJ where the Chicago media felt the need to protect him, there's money in bashing James right now and people will be falling out of the woodwork with true, and unfortunately untrue and inflated stories.

I like what Gilbert did.

I guess Im a meathead, but I think Gilbert did exactly what his franchise needed, they called a spade a spade.

What good would it have done to say:

"We thank Lebron fror all of the great years, we regret that he made the decision that he did, but unfortunately people do need to move on. I understand Cleveland was a great place for Lebron to start, but some times you need to leave home. Hopefully when Lebron comes back to Cleveland the fans will give him the round of applause he deserves."

Screw that, if Lebron didnt have the decency to tell Gilbert and only told the Heat, thats shameful.

Lebron should have been a man and made a call, no excuse for that. And because of that he deserves no respect from Gilbert, none at all. Its cowardly.

Im a meathead though so cant take my opinion. (First time ive ever been called that so im kind of reveling in my own glory)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
All things said, I love how this is blowing up in LeBron's face. Tons of articles in the media bashing him already.

Yeah, that's really going to hamper the party on South Beach and the mad p**** and cash he's rolling in...

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)
I like what Gilbert did.

I guess Im a meathead, but I think Gilbert did exactly what his franchise needed, they called a spade a spade.

What good would it have done to say:

"We thank Lebron fror all of the great years, we regret that he made the decision that he did, but unfortunately people do need to move on. I understand Cleveland was a great place for Lebron to start, but some times you need to leave home. Hopefully when Lebron comes back to Cleveland the fans will give him the round of applause he deserves."

Screw that, if Lebron didnt have the decency to tell Gilbert and only told the Heat, thats shameful.

Lebron should have been a man and made a call, no excuse for that. And because of that he deserves no respect from Gilbert, none at all. Its cowardly.

Im a meathead though so cant take my opinion. (First time ive ever been called that so im kind of reveling in my own glory)

lol, I should have phrased that better, I don't think if someone thought it was right that they are automatically a meathead, I don't consider myself one and I actually enjoyed it. You have to have a big ego to make it big in business, he got chumped for at least a week and really the last few years by a 25 year old, let him vent.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
You know what's really exciting about this Gibert thing? Things are going to start leaking like a motherf***er from over there. I expect confirmation of the West-Gloria James thing in a week.

Oh yeah, and i'm looking forward to it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
All things said, I love how this is blowing up in LeBron's face. Tons of articles in the media bashing him already.

Yep, and you knew it was coming if he went down there. I wonder if he knew how bad this would make him look?

I think Gilbert showing his emotion was 100% the right call.

Where Lebron was a robot, Gilbert was the owner saying that he would stick it out with Cleveland until the end.

If your a Cav fan how is that letter not exactly what you want to hear from the owner?

Hes just like one of them, hes been hurt, hes been betrayed, but he wont give up.

It makes him human, I love it the more I think about it.

Different people have different opinions, some times you just gotta be real.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:48 AM)
Yep, and you knew it was coming if he went down there. I wonder if he knew how bad this would make him look?

Most telling was the editor of draftexpress, who is at the Summer League games. The NBA people there were disgusted with LeBron.

STEIN_LINE_HQ Wolves-Heat deal, sources say, calls for 'Sota to absorb Beasley into cap space and send its 2011 second-round pick to Miami to seal deal

Wolves just got a steal. Former 2 overall never given a chance to really get going in Miami.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
I like what one fan said "he basically said Dwayne Wade is better than him, so he is going to play with him."

Well that fan is stupid, but I will concede he is saying he wasn't good enough to win titles by himself in Cleveland.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:49 AM)
I like what one fan said "he basically said Dwayne Wade is better than him, so he is going to play with him."

And Wade chose playing with Bosh over time with his two kids. There has to be some messed up transitive property there.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
STEIN_LINE_HQ Wolves-Heat deal, sources say, calls for 'Sota to absorb Beasley into cap space and send its 2011 second-round pick to Miami to seal deal

Wolves just got a steal. Former 2 overall never given a chance to really get going in Miami.

Holy crap, Kahn. How many forwards do you need?

He had to know this was going to happen or he is really dumb.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)

And there's the cap space they'll need to sign 2 more role players in addition to their minimum guys.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
He had to know this was going to happen or he is really dumb.

frankly ....i think the latter....you have to realize this guy is taking his advice from maverick carter

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
couldn't agree more....this is turning into a PR disaster for him...looks like he should actually hire some guys who know what hes doing instead of his posse

The hour-long televised "decision" was ridiculous. How could anyone have thought that was a good idea. It's funny, I get the impression that Lebron is actually a better dude off the court than Jordan ever was and yet you never saw Jordan's PR team make a mis-step like that. Lebron should hire whomever ran interference for Jordan.