NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
You won't get an argument from me. For a big guy, Amar'e can't board to save his life (though he's better in the playoffs) and has played with Nash damn near his whole career. (Boozer was already a solid player before Deron Williams came into the league and became Deron Williams) Also he is the worst overall defender between the two IMO.

Amare averaged 20 and 9 as a 21 year old without Nash. He would have been just fine without Nash. And Boozer has never had a stretch like Amare did in the 2nd half of this year where you could make the case he was the best big man in the NBA not named Dwight Howard.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
Well if Shaq said it it must be true!

Does that mean Garnett is an oversized SF then? What about Rasheed Wallace? Amare? A lot of power forwards aren't really low-post bangers anymore.

KG looks like a paper man, but he can defend, block shots, and rebound as well as anyone in the league in his haydays.

Sheed is very good low post defender, block shots and good strength.

Amare is stronger than bosh, more athletic, and got 20lbs on him.

Bosh can't defend the post, can't block shots, doesn't have the strength, nor is he a gifted low post scorer. He is 6'10 and weight 230lbs, he plays on the perimeter and shoots a lot of midrange jumpers. Yes, he would be a small forward if he wasn't 6'10

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
LeBron would not be the first one blamed in Miami. Thats Wade County and Pat Riley put the team together. Any of the other 3 teams and LeBron is first to get blamed. Thats the whole point, if they win championship(s) in Miami they are doing something Wade has already done with other players. Its Wades team. It almost seems impossible to me LeBron would put himself in a position like that.

I think that is what people are going to theorize, but in reality, LeBron is numero uno on that team.

When the Bulls swept the Heat a few years ago, it was hardly a big story. Wade was criticized, but not much.

When LeBron's teams have lost, he has been much, much more scrutinized and taken much more criticism.

I think Wade will be the leader of that team because he is the oldest of the three, but the buck is going to stop with LeBron, and anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Lebron will have a great time in Miami. Whenever something goes wrong, it will be Lebron's fault (Miami fans arent going to blame Riley/Wade who already gave them a championship). Whenever something goes right, it will be the team of Wade/Lebron/Bosh did it.

Maybe what the league needs is a good heel.

Miami the team you love to hate.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
They both suck defensively. Amare just doesn't try, Boozer is limited with his length and lateral quickness. Boozer's career average is only 17 a game even playing the pick and roll with Williams, Amare is at 21. That's a big difference.

I don't see how how that is any different. He doesn't try cause he doesn't want to do it. Now he's going back to D'Antoni's system and you know he won't be doing it for the rest of his career. Add in micro-fracture knee surgery and a busted eye on top of this not to mention has more mileage on his body.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
They both suck defensively. Amare just doesn't try, Boozer is limited with his length and lateral quickness. Boozer's career average is only 17 a game even playing the pick and roll with Williams, Amare is at 21. That's a big difference.

Agreed. Boozer is horrendous on defense, his help defense is as bad as it gets (watching him get constantly lost off the ball in the Lakers series down the stretch of games was infuriating) and his man to man D isn't exactly stellar either. http://nbaplaybook.com/2010/05/03/the-lake...decision-maker/

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
KG looks like a paper man, but he can defend, block shots, and rebound as well as anyone in the league in his haydays.

Sheed is very good low post defender, block shots and good strength.

Amare is stronger than bosh, more athletic, and got 20lbs on him.

Bosh can't defend the post, can't block shots, doesn't have the strength, nor is he a gifted low post scorer. He is 6'10 and weight 230lbs, he plays on the perimeter and shoots a lot of midrange jumpers. Yes, he would be a small forward if he wasn't 6'10

LOL, that is one of the dumber things I've seen. Shaq wouldn't be a center if he weren't 7'1" 300 pounds either!

KG and Sheed are definitely better defenders and rebounders, that doesn't mean that they still don't have a very thin build.

Amare is bigger, but plays very soft up front and isn't a good rebounder.

None of the power forwards in this class can defend the post or block shots. Lee, Boozer, Amare and Bosh are all below-average defenders. As for the comment that he doesn't play down low, that's just crap. 46% of his shots came in the basket area and he converted over 60% of them. He does just fine down low.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
Agreed. Boozer is horrendous on defense, his help defense is as bad as it gets (watching him get constantly lost off the ball in the Lakers series down the stretch of games was infuriating) and his man to man D isn't exactly stellar either. http://nbaplaybook.com/2010/05/03/the-lake...decision-maker/

I would think even the biggest basketball idiots would know Boozer is a sieve defensively, that has already been said here numerous times.

part of boozer's problem is he plays with Okur, so it's not like he's getting alot of help either.

When he plays with Noah and Taj, they will take the better low post player, so i think boozer will handle his defensive assignment alright.

Of the trio of Bosh Amare and Boozer, Boozer is also the best rebounder and low post scorer, so I will take him for what he is worth.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
I don't see how how that is any different. He doesn't try cause he doesn't want to do it. Now he's going back to D'Antoni's system and you know he won't be doing it for the rest of his career. Add in micro-fracture knee surgery and a busted eye on top of this not to mention has more mileage on his body.

Admittedly they get roughly the same results, but I'd rather take the outside chance that someone lights a fire under his ass for 20 games or so in the playoffs than a guy I know is a bit limited athletically.

Boozer has missed 138 games in his six years in Utah, he's not exactly durable either. Boozer's actually probably got a little more mileage on his legs, Amare has only played 6 more NBA games and didn't play any in college.

Wait now Sam Smith is stealing from me, this is BULLs***!

And damn his article is remarkably similar to the points ive been making, maybe Im Sam Smith.

Yo Chisoxfn,

Where have you been hearing the Miami talk is just talk? Besides for Steve and myself, who are obviously top notch sources and have the Lebron pulse.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
So evidently the Knicks are now out? Some are saying the Miami talk is just that, talk.

I still believe in Chicago!!!

5 hours from now the Bulls will be either on their way to being a dynasty or not having a realistic championship for a long time.

Just my 2 cents....

I would be utterly shocked if Lebron picks Chicago. I hope to God it happens, but just doesn't sound like it is happening unless it is his plan to keep it under wraps.

And I don't get it. If he is serious about winning, I unbiasedly feel that the Bulls are his best situation with the youth and talent we have. I just don't get it.

I personally cannot see James going there, if only for the reason that someone who books a TV show for himself to announce his decision—with I heard now just a part of the proceeds going to charity—is not someone who’s going to join two other stars, one of whom already has a championship and would be the more popular and powerful figure on the team.

Same Smith agrees with me.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
part of boozer's problem is he plays with Okur, so it's not like he's getting alot of help either.

When he plays with Noah and Taj, they will take the better low post player, so i think boozer will handle his defensive assignment alright.

Of the trio of Bosh Amare and Boozer, Boozer is also the best rebounder and low post scorer, so I will take him for what he is worth.

Okur would usually take the better interior scorer. Boozer sucks defensively no matter who he guards. He can't alter shots, he is slow, and he gets lost way too often. Now the lats part maybe Thib can help with because the Celtics were terrific at helping off the ball.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)

Not giving anything to Boozer because he is a pro and should know what to do when the best player on the planet has the ball, but that looks like some bad defensive coaching by the Jazz staff to me as well.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
LOL, that is one of the dumber things I've seen. Shaq wouldn't be a center if he weren't 7'1" 300 pounds either!

KG and Sheed are definitely better defenders and rebounders, that doesn't mean that they still don't have a very thin build.

Amare is bigger, but plays very soft up front and isn't a good rebounder.

None of the power forwards in this class can defend the post or block shots. Lee, Boozer, Amare and Bosh are all below-average defenders. As for the comment that he doesn't play down low, that's just crap. 46% of his shots came in the basket area and he converted over 60% of them. He does just fine down low.

Is it really that hard to comprehend? If he wasn't 6'10, he is a pure small forward BECAUSE he doesn't have the skills sets of a traditional big man. If Shaq wasn't 7'1 and 300lb, he still is a great low post scorer, knows how to use his strength, and got a highly accurate hook shots. if bosh is 6'8 weighs 230, plays like the way he is, he would something similar to luol deng. Other players have the size and skillsets, bosh only has the height, not the weight nor skillsets.

you sure do know your stats man, but if you watched his game, he is also a better slasher than most big man in the league. He got most of his 46% inside shots from layups, drives to baskets. He can play the post, but just isn't very good at it.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
Wait now Sam Smith is stealing from me, this is BULLs***!

And damn his article is remarkably similar to the points ive been making, maybe Im Sam Smith.

Yo Chisoxfn,

Where have you been hearing the Miami talk is just talk? Besides for Steve and myself, who are obviously top notch sources and have the Lebron pulse.

Someone on Twitter had mentiond it.

I"ve long felt that there is no way that it makes any sense for it to happen and I still think no one knows anything. However, if hte report is true and Riley will be at the press conference, well that ain't good. I hope to hear that the Bulls are sending someone as well.

I guess the Knicks wont' have any of there key people there.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
Is it really that hard to comprehend? If he wasn't 6'10, he is a pure small forward BECAUSE he doesn't have the skills sets of a traditional big man. If Shaq wasn't 7'1 and 300lb, he still is a great low post scorer, knows how to use his strength, and got a highly accurate hook shots. if bosh is 6'8 weighs 230, plays like the way he is, he would something similar to luol deng. Other players have the size and skillsets, bosh only has the height, not the weight nor skillsets.

you sure do know your stats man, but if you watched his game, he is also a better slasher than most big man in the league. He got most of his 46% inside shots from layups, drives to baskets. He can play the post, but just isn't very good at it.

Yet he draws fouls at a much higher rate than Boozer so he gets to the line more and have you watched the Jazz? Boozer gets a ton of his shots at the rim off of the pick and roll and put backs not from low post moves.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
Food for thought: the Jazz were 2.3 points per 100 possessions WORSE this year when Boozer was on the floor than when he was on the bench. :ph34r:

I believe that was true last year as well but my memory could be faulty.