NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
Miami would be the favorite, yes, but I still think the Bulls would have a chance to beat them in a series and win a title.

Exactly. If you added LBJ(clone) to a team that he's a perfect fit for (i.e. the Bulls with Deng traded for a SG) the Heat would still be the favorites. There is, therefore, no single player in the NBA you could add to the Bulls's roster to make me think they could beat this Heat team.

There's no way JR goes over the cap. Especially not before the lockout season.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
can someone tell me how the heat manage to sign miller for $30 million, presumably $5 million the first season? the big 3 and chalmers takes about $51 millions. that plus 8 cap holds will not be enough for them to sign a $5 million contract. This is really screw up that the heat is taking away everyone's free agent this offseason.

I hope the big 3 gets injured all at the same time and they have to sport their lineup of scrubs.

You can always fill out the roster with veteran minimum contracts. LBJ + Wade + Bosh + Miller + Chalmers should be around 56M. From what I understand, the Heat could offer someone like Ilgauskas or Raja Bell 2M and then fill out the rest of the roster with veteran minimums and the 2nd round pick's.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 06:48 AM)
Ever since fathom mentioned Morrow, I've been intrigued by him. He seems like he would be a good fit with Rose. Rose penetrates, kicks it out to Morrow for a three.

Morrow would be the best pure shooter the Bulls have had in two decades (besides Steve Kerr, but Morrow is way more of a complete offensive player)

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 06:53 AM)
Ok, but if you sign him and give him significant minutes, don't complain about the lack of defense. Everyone wants to point out flaws on all the available names, but everyone seems to gush about Morrow as if he is a complete player.

You also have to realize that he played for a team that absolutely doesn't stress defense. He played his role to perfection. I'm not saying he'd be a defensive stopper by any means.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)
You can always fill out the roster with veteran minimum contracts. LBJ + Wade + Bosh + Miller + Chalmers should be around 56M. From what I understand, the Heat could offer someone like Ilgauskas or Raja Bell 2M and then fill out the rest of the roster with veteran minimums and the 2nd round pick's.

ya, even if they have 5 players now, 7 spots will have holds on it, minimum contracts are around $500K, they are now over cap from what i understand.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
Exactly. If you added LBJ(clone) to a team that he's a perfect fit for (i.e. the Bulls with Deng traded for a SG) the Heat would still be the favorites. There is, therefore, no single player in the NBA you could add to the Bulls's roster to make me think they could beat this Heat team.

There's no way JR goes over the cap. Especially not before the lockout season.

That's true -- in fact, the harsh reality is that the Bulls have no chance to win a title in the next 10 years. If JR is true to his previously stated philosophy, he'll start selling off players soon. Noah will be the first to go, followed by Rose. Have fun with Boozer, because the Bulls philosophy dictates that Deng and Boozer have just cost the Bulls what young talent they have. I think we'll be seeing the NBA version of the white flag trade.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
That's true -- in fact, the harsh reality is that the Bulls have no chance to win a title in the next 10 years. If JR is true to his previously stated philosophy, he'll start selling off players soon. Noah will be the first to go, followed by Rose. Have fun with Boozer, because the Bulls philosophy dictates that Deng and Boozer have just cost the Bulls what young talent they have. I think we'll be seeing the NBA version of the white flag trade.

I am 100% positive that if the Bulls needed extra money to give Noah and Derrick a raise, they would trade Deng

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:25 AM)
ya, even if they have 5 players now, 7 spots will have holds on it, minimum contracts are around $500K, they are now over cap from what i understand.

What I'm saying is that you can go over the cap if it's filling out the roster with veteran minimums.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
You also have to realize that he played for a team that absolutely doesn't stress defense. He played his role to perfection. I'm not saying he'd be a defensive stopper by any means.

Even if he isn't a complete player, he is an elite-level shooter. The Bulls have enough players with multiple mediocre skills. If you look at what the Bulls can do at an above average level, right now they have Rose's ability to penetrate at an elite level and Deng/Noah's above average rebounding. If they want to put together something excellent they need a stone-cold shooter like Morrow. If Thibs is a decent coach he should be able to hide whatever Morrow's game lacks in other phases.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:28 AM)
I am 100% positive that if the Bulls needed extra money to give Noah and Derrick a raise, they would trade Deng

You are presuming they would be able to trade Deng. They couldn't get anyone to take him this year. Also, with the new CBA, Boozer's deal is also absolutely not movable.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
Morrow would be the best pure shooter the Bulls have had in two decades (besides Steve Kerr, but Morrow is way more of a complete offensive player)

But a crappy defender.

All of the guys left on the market have some huge flaws.

I'm all about the doom and gloom here, but come on. No chance? How do you figure? The Bulls have a budding superstar (Rose), one of the best interior guys in the league that doesn't care about stats or fame (Noah), an all-star in Boozer, and a potential all-star in Gibson (if he continues to develop). Add a deadly shooter and I think this team is going to be really tough to beat.

So we missed out on a couple of big time FA's who clearly planned this whole thing 2 years ago. Can't fault the Bulls for that. Yeah, they were handed a gift by the NBA gods (or Stern) when they got Rose, but who cares? The future is very, very bright IMO. I think they're contenders for the conf finals now and contenders for the championship in 2-3 years.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 01:32 AM)
Whats with all the Iguodala talk? Is he on the block that I'm not aware of? I thought the 76ers were putting him at SF.

I think you could go get his ass right now given their glut of contracts and bad performance.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
Just woke up 15 minutes ago and realized what happened last night. It really is true that certain events don't hit you at first. A little time has to go by. I can't believe the Heat are about to 6-peat.

There's not a chance in hell that happens.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 01:43 AM)
Okay, so it looks like JRich has one year left on his deal at $14.4 million. Trading for him, unless we are unloading Deng in the process would severely limit our flexibility this off season.

Damn, SoxFan1 beat me to it.

Phoenix hearts Deng.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
So we missed out on a couple of big time FA's who clearly planned this whole thing 2 years ago. Can't fault the Bulls for that. Yeah, they were handed a gift by the NBA gods (or Stern) when they got Rose, but who cares? The future is very, very bright IMO. I think they're contenders for the conf finals now and contenders for the championship in 2-3 years.

I think you are way under-estimating how good the Heat are. This is likely the most talented team ever assembled. The Lakers with help from the refs might put up a fight, but that's it for next year. And in the years after that, the Heat roster will only get stronger. So, no, the future for any NBA team isn't bright. Miami is essentially a championship lock (barring multiple injuries) for the next 5 years at least.

I like Rose and Noah a lot, and I think the Bulls could build a team that repeatedly makes the conference finals. But that's contingent on having an owner that doesn't give up because he knows a title is unlikely. JR has already said he won't put the best team possible on the floor unless it's a championship contender. If you take him at his word, it's over. I'd rather see an owner say that they want to build a team to beat Miami (even if it's delusional) but JR is not that guy.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
I'm all about the doom and gloom here, but come on. No chance? How do you figure? The Bulls have a budding superstar (Rose), one of the best interior guys in the league that doesn't care about stats or fame (Noah), an all-star in Boozer, and a potential all-star in Gibson (if he continues to develop). Add a deadly shooter and I think this team is going to be really tough to beat.

I don't see Gibson developing into an all star in the future.

He'll be a good role player / fringe starter for a long time in this league, but he just doesn't have star type of potential.

and they only won 1 championship in that span, which actually supports the claim that there is no way the Heat will win 5-6 championships in a row.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 08:49 AM)
The Pistons made the eastern conference finals 6 years straight from 2003-2008. Yeah, that about says it all.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)
and they only won 1 championship in that span, which actually supports the claim that there is no way the Heat will win 5-6 championships in a row.

lol. well those pistons team didn't quite have the same level of talent the current Heat team will sport. I say that's a pretty big difference.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
You are presuming they would be able to trade Deng. They couldn't get anyone to take him this year. Also, with the new CBA, Boozer's deal is also absolutely not movable.

There are many idiots in the NBA, I am 100% positive. Deng is someone who can contribute although his contract is bad, where as someone like Stephon Marbury is definitely not movable (unless to someone really dumb) because his talent completely fell off

Why even play the games then, just cancel the NBA.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
lol. well those pistons team didn't quite have the same level of talent the current Heat team will sport. I say that's a pretty big difference.

They were deeper and MUCH stronger defensively.