2010 MLB Draft Catch All

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 26, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
That's really cool. It's nice that this organization is still trying to keep him involved while he recovers.

I agree, it's really cool. Maybe he'll bring luck with him.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 26, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)

If we select a pitcher he better be special. I don't want to see another Lance Broadway type pitcher again with this type of pick. No maxes out at 91 RH which means really throws 89 and gets rocked type pitcher. The only type of pitcher they should select with this is a game changer. The later rounds are where you can stock up on Broadways.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 26, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)
If we select a pitcher he better be special. I don't want to see another Lance Broadway type pitcher again with this type of pick. No maxes out at 91 RH which means really throws 89 and gets rocked type pitcher. The only type of pitcher they should select with this is a game changer. The later rounds are where you can stock up on Broadways.

I'll take special as you mean he better not be a safe, low-risk guy (i.e. cheap sign). And I couldn't agree more. Wimmers would be a horrible pick at #13. Stetson Allie would be wonderful at #13 should we go pitcher.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 26, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
That's really cool. It's nice that this organization is still trying to keep him involved while he recovers.

Hopefully when he goes to give the card to Selig announcing the draft pick, or however the hell they do it, he makes sure Austin Wilson's name is on it.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 26, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
Hopefully when he goes to give the card to Selig announcing the draft pick, or however the hell they do it, he makes sure Austin Wilson's name is on it.

Wilson's an OF right? So, you're expecting Mitchell to make sure they hand in a card with the name of a guy he might be competing with for playing time?

If the Sox take the route of a college power pitcher, I would point to Matt Harvey/Ranaudo. Another name I like, albeit not at our pick is Sam Dyson (who knows where he will go). Dyson has a first round arm and I think he could make it as a premium reliever in time if he ended up not having enough to be a starter. Total enignma, but a pick I'd love outside of our 1st 2 picks.

I really think Gary Brown in the 2nd round makes a lot of sense for the Sox given the fact that they want athletic outfielders. I dont' know if Brown will hit enough, but if he does, boy would he be a great guy to have in our order for a long time (fast, terrific baserunner, terrific defender, can play any OF position at a plus, imo, strong arm). He just won't hit for power.

One draft experts take on the top of this draft:

Pitching in this draft is a much safer bet than hitting, so my guess is they will snatch a pitcher.

Just something to consider given the fact that I think a lot of us are more high on the hitters than the pitchers. I'm starting to warm up to Wimmers. Seems like a guy that can pitch and has enough velocity to actually be a top of the rotation guy. Not sure if I love him, but I dont' think he's just a low upside starter that we like. He has a pretty good arsenal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2010 -> 08:43 AM)
If the Sox take the route of a college power pitcher, I would point to Matt Harvey/Ranaudo. Another name I like, albeit not at our pick is Sam Dyson (who knows where he will go). Dyson has a first round arm and I think he could make it as a premium reliever in time if he ended up not having enough to be a starter. Total enignma, but a pick I'd love outside of our 1st 2 picks.

I really think Gary Brown in the 2nd round makes a lot of sense for the Sox given the fact that they want athletic outfielders. I dont' know if Brown will hit enough, but if he does, boy would he be a great guy to have in our order for a long time (fast, terrific baserunner, terrific defender, can play any OF position at a plus, imo, strong arm). He just won't hit for power.

Here is what Dave Perkin, a scout, says about Gary Brown:

Dave Perkin: Brown is my favorite college position guy in the nation. Remarkable speed, terrfic defensive OF, greatly improved bat. If scouts are convinced the hand injury is no big deal, he goes 1st round. For me, I would take Brown over Colon any time, any day. But there is a lot of support for Colon, and he is probably a first rounder as well. Of course, he has a leg injury suffered last year that concerns clubs.

Like I said, I really really like Brown and would love it if he was somehow there in the 2nd when we pick. I doubt he gets out of the supplemental 1st and I also don't think he'll go in the 1st due to his minor injury (Broken finger).

Here is an interesting take fro ma scout on Bryce Harper:

AngryJohnny (Boston): Who's this chap Brian Harper a couple of guys at lunch were chatting about?

Dave Perkin: Ah ha, a Harper question. Imagine my shock. For me, if Harper comes out as an OF, he is similar to Josh Hamilton. Big bat, strikes out a lot, tremendous arm. Harper is not the runner or defender Josh is, so Harper will play RF, not CF. Harper will be a .275 to .290 big league hitter, 30-40 homers per year, 150 K's. When he begins in pro ball, he will see off speed and breaking stuff, and pitches on the outside corner at the knees until he is blue in the face. If he solves that problem, then away he goes. If not, he'll be a bust. I'm betting he does solve it, but it may take some time.

What I find so interesting is the fact that we are talking about a corner outfielder. I think there is a huge difference between whether Harper sticks at C vs becomes an outfielder and it seems like a ton of teams want him in the OF because he can/should reach the majors quicker. Still, despite his massive power potential and the fact that he's one of the most hyped draft picks of all time, there is still a major bust factor that exists (per this scout).

One thing we know is you can bet your ass the Sox will draft some prep guys from Florida. Heres a short Q&A blurb about 2 Florida preps:

Josh (Boston): What can you tell me about a pair of Florida prep pitchers, Daniel Gibson and Luke Jackson? Are they signable at this point?

Nathan Rode: Gibson is a big lefty with solid-average stuff. Jackson is smaller but has a live arm. Neither seem to lean heavily one way or the other on the signabilty scale, but that will determine where they get taken. That's gonna do it for us today everyone. Sorry we didn't get to all of your questions, but come back next Wednesday for another chat!

Good stuff Ozzie. Heres a guy that stood out a little to me. Seems like he could be a nice value pick in the 3rd to 5th.

7. Tyler Holt - Florida State - CF - 60

Finally we get the second position player after Grandal. But if you only read mock first rounds, you might not even be familiar with the name. As we've started looking at stats beyond batting lines, Holt's name keeps coming up.

He's been among the best center fielders in college baseball all three years, and he's been near the top of the baserunning lists for the last two years, as well. He doesn't mash on par with, say, Kyle Parker or Hunter Morris, but he's in double-digit home runs this year and working on his second straight season in four-digit OPS territory.

In short, he looks for all the world like another Jacoby Ellsbury. I don't think he'd be an overdraft at No. 23, where Ellsbury was taken. If he falls to 128 (where Perfect Game ranks him), I'll consider him (at the very least!) the steal of the draft. Appropriate for a guy who has swiped 26 bases in 27 attempts.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 26, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
That'd be somethin' if Wilson fell all the way to the Phillies.

Some caution for those dead set on wanting Wilson:

Dave Perkin: Wilson and Ragira a good cahnce of winding up on the farm, Vanegas not so much. I saw Wilson yesterday in a local playoff game, and, to be honest, I am not sure he will hit. He struggles with breaking and off speed stuff and dips the back side prior to swinging—not quite a collapse, but close. There have been a lot of Mike Stanton comparisons with him, but Wilson is a long ways from that level of hitter.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 27, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
Some caution for those dead set on wanting Wilson:

I've been hearing a lot of negatives regarding his pitch recognition as well, and how it's far away from what it should be at this point. I don't think it's in any way realistic the Sox consider him with the 13th pick.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 27, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)
I've been hearing a lot of negatives regarding his pitch recognition as well, and how it's far away from what it should be at this point. I don't think it's in any way realistic the Sox consider him with the 13th pick.

They're not, don't worry. I'll be stunned if they don't take a college pitcher with their first pick.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
They're not, don't worry. I'll be stunned if they don't take a college pitcher with their first pick.

Ditto. I'd bet a ton it will be, as me you and DirtySox have been on that bandwagon for a while here. I'll say pitcher first, position player (toolsy OF or perhaps a stud SS that happened to drop who they like) with our next pick.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 27, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
Ditto. I'd bet a ton it will be, as me you and DirtySox have been on that bandwagon for a while here. I'll say pitcher first, position player (toolsy OF or perhaps a stud SS that happened to drop who they like) with our next pick.

And of course, they'll wait until the middle rounds to take difficult signability players. No matter what our philosophy is with regards to athleticism or hard throwers, the one thing that has stayed consistent in our unwillingness to go way over slot.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 27, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)

Wilson is basically a tool shed. What he does with those tools, no one will know. From a production standpoint and where he is right now, he has major major flaws to his game. Whomever drafts him will need to have a very good player development department and obviously Wilson will have to have a great work ethic and be able to adapt and make the necessary changes to his game.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
Remember that due to the Peavy trade, we have an absolute lack of pitching in our system outside of Hudson. That's why I'm confident they'll take a college pitcher with 1st pick.

James Paxton might be my choice.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 28, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
In the comments Callis rules out Harvey due to the Boras connection and adds Wimmers/Workman/Eibner to the list of possibilities.

The pick was Asher Wojciechowski, for those who don't feel like clicking.

Kind of what I expect with Harvey as well. I'd be willing to wager a large amount that one of Workman/Wimmers will be the Sox selection.