2010 MLB Draft Catch All

Chisoxfn

I think the finances are more the leading factor than the upside/safe type player. It's hard to draft a high upside player when you don't have the money to go overslot. High upside guys generally cost more.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 19, 2010 -> 12:41 AM)
I think the finances are more the leading factor than the upside/safe type player. It's hard to draft a high upside player when you don't have the money to go overslot. High upside guys generally cost more.

Don't have or won't spend?

For those in the Ranaudo camp, below is a snippet from BA:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...010/269988.html

After coming into the year as BA's No. 2-rated prospect for the 2010 draft, Louisiana State righthander Anthony Ranaudo has been less than stellar since returning from a stress reaction in his elbow. What are you hearing about his stuff? I'm somewhat hoping he's available at No. 13 for the White Sox to take.

Nate Rittenberry

Chicago

Ranaudo is the biggest enigma in the draft. He won the final game of the 2009 College World Series and was NCAA Division I's returning leader in wins (12) and strikeouts (159 in 124 innings). Scouts lauded his arsenal of three pitches that all graded as plus at times (91-94 mph fastball, curveball, changeup), as well as his command and size (6-foot-7). But after he came down with a stress reaction in his elbow after his first start in February and missed a month, he hasn't been nearly the same pitcher he was a year ago.

Ranaudo gave up seven runs and didn't make it out of the fifth inning against Kentucky on Friday, dropping his record to 2-2, 9.09. In 33 innings, he has given up 44 hits and 16 walks while striking out 31. He's still pitching in the low 90s, but his delivery has regressed. His arm action has flattened out and he's not staying on top of his pitches, which have lost life and often sit tantalizingly up in the strike zone.

Teams have to figure out if the 2009 Ranaudo is still in there somewhere. They have to determine how much his medical history bothers them, because he also missed two months as a freshman with elbow tendinitis. They also have to wonder what Ranaudo might cost them, because he'll be advised by the Boras Corp.

I believe Ranaudo will be available at No. 13, but I'd be stunned if the White Sox took him. They usually avoid Boras advisees, and his performance and the questions surrounding Ranaudo would make taking him that early a huge leap of faith. If he doesn't start showing some semblance of his 2009 form, there's no telling how far he might slide in the draft.

Heres a guy the Sox probably won't sign, but I only mention him since he's a QB recruit at LSU and appears to be a tough sign. Pure talent wise he wouldn't be a bad option at 13. Problem is you have no idea if he'll sign:

What are the draft prospects for Zach Lee, a righthander out of McKinney (Texas) High who is also a Louisiana State football/baseball recruit? Is he a legit first-round talent?

Lee is a first-round talent who could go in the 21-30 range, but he's not going to sign for first-round slot money. Teams are having a difficult time gauging if he'd give up the chance to play quarterback at LSU at any price, which could affect his draft status dramatically.

His ability is undeniable, however. He has an athletic 6-foot-4, 195-pound frame with plenty of projection remaining—and his present stuff is plenty good. He works at 90-93 mph with his fastball and backs it up with a sharp slider and promising changeup. He has more polish than most two-sport stars, throwing strikes with an easily repeatable delivery.

Lee passed for 2,565 yards and 31 touchdowns last fall, with 22 of those scores going to Matt Lipka. Lipka is also a top baseball prospect and one of the best shortstops available in the draft. He has plus-plus speed, a line-drive bat and the chance for average power. His hands and actions might necessitate a position change, but he also profiles well in center field. He's more signable than Lee, as Lipka will give up football and has committed to Alabama for baseball only.

Mayo recently talked about Ranaudo's fall and indicated there is a shot he falls all the way to the bottom of the 1st round. With teams concerned about the health of his arm on top of the fact that he's advised by Boras, I'm convinced the sox won't take him. Only way they do is if he pitches better down the stretch, but if that happens, he's probably back in the top 10.

Karsten Whitson is a name that was projected to go top 10 most of the year, but has seen his stock slide a bit. The latest BA draft had him available when the Sox picked and he could be a really nice upside guy to look into. Whitson has nice fastball velocity already (clocked from 90 to 96), a hard slider, and a promising change so it looks like he's a guy that could potentially have 3 good pitches (and that is what it takes to be a front line starter in this league).

Nice build and frame. Would be really happy if the Sox went that way. But it would be a huge change of pace since they don't draft prep pitchers in the 1st round.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 19, 2010 -> 05:53 AM)
Mayo said that a lot of the scouts he's talked to peg Wimmers (a name the Sox are likely to heavily consider) as the first guy in the draft to reach the majors.

I think I would agree. He somewhat resembles a Mike Leake to me in that he doesn't have eye-popping stuff or a pitcher's frame, but manages to make up for it with his intangibles. Wouldn't be my favorite pick, but plugging in a possible mid-rotation starter into a system devoid of pitching depth seems very likely.

You also mentioned Whitson. He's a favorite of mine, but I really haven't given him much realistic consideration since the Sox don't draft high school pitchers with 1st round picks usually. Would be quite pleased if we picked him up though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 19, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
Two words: talent infusion.

I want Austin Wilson.

I think I'd be happy with any high upside player. I'd be very enthusiastic if it was a prep player. Give me a Wilson/Castellanos/Sale/Whitson/Cole and I'll feel much better about the direction the organization is heading.

Matt (San Diego, CA): Is Austin Wilson signable? Which players in last week's top 50 are least signable?

Jim Callis: Wilson will be very tough to sign away from his Stanford commitment. He's one of the toughest signs among the top talents, along with two other high schoolers: Georgia two-way talent Kaleb Cowart and Texas righthander (LSU QB commitment) Zach Lee.

Recent snippet on a guy a few people on here are high on, Stetson Allie. He's been plessed with a heck of a right arm and it sounds like he's making progress with his command. Decent chance he is available when the Sox draft, but he is the complete opposite of guys the Sox have targeted typically in the 1st round of the draft.

Jake (FLA): Why is Stetson Allie moving up the draft board? Hes always had the 'basic report' of being a hard-thrower with poor command; so what has changed? Has he shown much-improved command or found a breaking ball?

Jim Callis: He's doing a much better job of harnessing his stuff while hitting 99 mph with his fastball and 89 mph with his slider.

Put this snippet in there because the Sox obviously like this tool a lot. Brown is slated to go as high as the end of the 1st round and as low as the 2nd round (unlikely he falls to the Sox, if he did, I'd be all over him in rd 2). Deshields isn't a 1st round talent, but he's a 2nd to 3rd round talent that will get picked higher because of his bloodlines. Bratsen is committed to Texas A&M and is an AFLAC All American.

Bratsen appears to be a strong commit and he has somethings to work on and people wonder if he'll get drafted high enough to where he'd sign. Has really plus leadoff tools and defensive tools though and could turn into a real nice pick.

Lane (IL): Focusing on just one tool...who are the three fastest players available?

Jim Callis: Krey Bratsen, Gary Brown, Delino DeShields Jr.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2010 -> 06:27 AM)
Delino DeShields Jr.

That is an interesting name. His dad sure could fly, that is for sure.

Part of one of the greatest trades of all time. Delino Deshields for Pedro Martinez. I'll never forget how Lasorda though Pedro was too small to ever be a major leaguer.

Saw this note in the SunTimes today...

Lucas O'Rear of Nashville, Ill., who helped Northern Iowa's basketball team upset Kansas in the NCAA tournament, showed up at a predraft showcase Monday and threw 91 mph heat on the pitcher's mound. Northern Iowa dropped its baseball program after the 2009 season, leaving O'Rear without a team, but he'll likely play pro baseball this summer. Scouts told O'Rear, a 6-6, 255-pound right-hander, that he can touch the mid-90s with a few mechanical adjustments.

I'm not suggesting he'd be a great pick... just found it interesting that UNI doesn't have a baseball team... so he tried out at a showcase and threw a 91mph fastball.

With those sideburns of his, he'd look like a 1970's throwback on the mound.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
Recent snippet on a guy a few people on here are high on, Stetson Allie. He's been plessed with a heck of a right arm and it sounds like he's making progress with his command. Decent chance he is available when the Sox draft, but he is the complete opposite of guys the Sox have targeted typically in the 1st round of the draft.

He is drooling with potential. Basically another Brandon Morrow with the same control issues.